Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Life and Times of Garagelu: S15 Build in the Dirty South

So I've been procrastinating and been planning on putting up a fresh build thread for this S15 that I bought back in June. So here it is, because I'm changing up a few things for the 2012 season. Hate it or love it...here it is.

Back in 05 I started out with this car.

And almost 7 years later, I turned it into this. Fun 400 hp, reliable, great handling car.

I always told everyone that I'd keep this car forever. I mean come on...I was the second owner of the car, 1st owner was a middle aged lady, and it was a unmolested s14. 7 years of blood and sweat, 7 years of memories, and 7 years of love is hard to let go.

But on March 20, 2011 I was browsing zilvia on my lunch break like I do every day and I see this s15 in the for sale section. I look at it and it's almost too good to be true. It was kind of funny because people were bashing the seller saying he is trying to scam someone. But come on, you'd be stupid to wire that kind of money without seeing the car. I immediately call the owner and after several emails and phone calls, I decide to buy this beautiful car. So fast forward about 3 months later I am the proud owner of my dream car... 2001 Nissan Silvia Spec R.

Here is a condensed version of what's been happening since I bought the car.

Step 1: I had to get rid of those hideous Advan SA3R on the car. Fortunately I had a set of Volk GTU that I had bought for my s14 but never had a chance to put them on. BTW, GTUs are one of my top favorite wheels.

Step 2: The wheel gap was wack so I needed to do something quick. The car sat on Ohlins struts and Espelir springs. The car handled amazing for a strut and spring setup but it had to go. I wanted something comfortable and performance oriented at the same time. I decided on HKS Hipermax 3 coilovers. Right after I purchased these, HKS USA closed down and moved back to Japan. Not a big fan of that so not sure how many HKS products I'll be buying in the future.

Step 3: Got rid of the nismo exhaust. Nismo is nice and all but it was only 2.5 inch piping. I am a huge fan of JIC Magic exhausts so I bought a JIC bullet exhaust straight from Jon at JIC. Slip fit construction and beautiful welding.

Stay tuned for the life and times of this S15!!! And finally, check out my recent feature on canibeat. Shout out to my boy Jordan Chronister. He does awesome work. Also check out his site called drivenmotive.

Storyteller: Kevin Lu's Nissan Silvia | Canibeat
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Functiontheory

Trader Rating: (1)
Functiontheory is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
HOLY CRAP!!!!! im tuned in
Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
nice!
in for updates.
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
HiddenCharacter
Zilvia Member

HiddenCharacter is an unknown quantity at this point
In for this.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice parts
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
tuktuk23
Leaky Injector

tuktuk23 is an unknown quantity at this point
tuned in!!!! nice ride bro
tuktuk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
nickkaplz
Leaky Injector

nickkaplz is an unknown quantity at this point
so nice to see a car like this in the south, are you going to have it at ia Atlanta or anything?
nickkaplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
You know I love this thing Kev... so cool! Excited to see the changes this year.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
John P

John P is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
STL240SXDRIFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
STL240SXDRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It sounds like it was pretty easy to purchase this S15. If you don't mind me asking...was it already in the states? Or was it imported?
STL240SXDRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkaplz View Post
so nice to see a car like this in the south, are you going to have it at ia Atlanta or anything?
Yea I'll be at IA spring meet in Atlanta for sure. It's at Turner Field this year which is 5 minutes from my house. It'll be at IA Summer meet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL240SXDRIFT View Post
It sounds like it was pretty easy to purchase this S15. If you don't mind me asking...was it already in the states? Or was it imported?
It wasn't as easy as it sounds. There was definately some hurdles I had to get through. Luckily this car came with EPA, NHSTA, and bond release papers. And it was already in the states. I bought it from Seattle.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
hks4life
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
hks4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hope the kid that has your s14 doesnt wreck it, its so nice! and cant wait to see this at turner!!
hks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
VAs13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (28)
VAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant futureVAs13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
i officially regret selling my s15.
VAs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
^ yeah,. never a good idea
Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
damn you're lucky, one day I'll own one.
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
azndan2
Leaky Injector

azndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations Kevin
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelu View Post

Step 2: The wheel gap was wack so I needed to do something quick. The car sat on Ohlins struts and Espelir springs. The car handled amazing for a strut and spring setup but it had to go. I wanted something comfortable and performance oriented at the same time. I decided on HKS Hipermax 3 coilovers. Right after I purchased these, HKS USA closed down and moved back to Japan. Not a big fan of that so not sure how many HKS products I'll be buying in the future.

If you're not a fan of that, then you won't be a fan of a lot of parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAs13 View Post
i officially regret selling my s15.
This made me sad, but this thread has made me happy again!

God I can't wait till these are legal...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
If you're not a fan of that, then you won't be a fan of a lot of parts...
Well when you just spent around 2000 dollars on coilovers, find a defect in the product and can't get in touch with the manufacturer, you'd probably be frustrated as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

I stopped by the place where I store my car tonight to get a few things done. I wanted to show you guys some of my garage neighbors. There are some dope ass cars here. This place is pretty sick for car guys. You can store your car here and included in the monthly membership fee, you get access to 3 lifts, tools, car wash, TV, internet, fridge, bathroom, shower, and some other things. Its got a full security system and a ventilation system. Considering that I just recently bought a condo with NO GARAGE (probably a big mistake on my part), this place definitely is definitely well worth it. Plus majority of the members are big into road racing and some are even instructors so I am considering on tracking my daily TSX this spring.

Theres 2 E30 M3, 600 hp E46 M3, a couply E36 M3, a couple 330s, Brian Fuller (2 guys garage) built 61 Impala, Year One built 67 nova, Shelby Mustang, 60-something Cuda, and more.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
damn do i love that gt500. You should pull a gone in 60 seconds moment on that car haha.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
i like really like that kouki, so clean. if S15 will be legal in Cali, i'd snag one in a heart beat even if im broke ill sell my kindey
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good to see who bought this... I was the other buyer, glad you got it because I still have my Kouki and a Nismo Frontier now.

Oh and so everyone know this is a Grandfathered in U.S. Legal Motorex S15.... and it sold for hella cheep compaired to what some other non legal S15 owners are asking!!!

keep up the good work...
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #23
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
ah the gold kouki ka-t now I know who you are, haha. So many random car friends on facebook. You gave me a lot of helpful advise on ka-t.net or whatever it was. Never did build a ka-t obviously.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #24
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
CleanAndLegit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Luckily this car came with EPA, NHSTA, and bond release papers.
so does this make it full state legal?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #25
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAndLegit View Post
Regardless of all of that, it may be federal legal, but not still not legal in California.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #26
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
ah the gold kouki ka-t now I know who you are, haha. So many random car friends on facebook. You gave me a lot of helpful advise on ka-t.net or whatever it was. Never did build a ka-t obviously.
Um, sorry wrong person. I've never had a KA-T and never will. However, I am friends with you on FB.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #27
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Didnt I sell you my old SR head and GT3071 turbo kit?

Thats one of the cleanest S15 interior I've seen. On every S15 I've seen in Japan, the damn gray paint around the dash trim is peeling off. Shit looked tacky.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Um, sorry wrong person. I've never had a KA-T and never will. However, I am friends with you on FB.
Smart man. Cool cars.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #29
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Didnt I sell you my old SR head and GT3071 turbo kit?

Thats one of the cleanest S15 interior I've seen. On every S15 I've seen in Japan, the damn gray paint around the dash trim is peeling off. Shit looked tacky.
Thanks, yea the interior is mint. The car only has 21K Km on it. I bought it with 12K Km.

And I know for sure I didn't buy a 3071 kit. I did buy a full race twin scroll 3076r setup for my s14 from someone else on the forum. And I don't remember buying a SR head on here. I have bought a few SR heads but they have always been local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAndLegit View Post
Yes its 50 state legal. Not sure about Cali though. Not like it matters because I doubt I'll ever live in Cali, Lol. I love it out there but just can't see myself living there. Can't wait for WEKFEST SF next week!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #30
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
I stopped by the place where I store my car tonight to get a few things done.This place is pretty sick for car guys. You can store your car here and included in the monthly membership fee, you get access to 3 lifts, tools, car wash, TV, internet, fridge, bathroom, shower, and some other things.
I've heard about this place; seems like a cool place but how do they ensure your car isn't pillaged or taken by another member or member's friend?

Did you buy that S15 from Bryant? I love that gold Kouki.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote