Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #91
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
A well balanced car is great.

But come on. EVERYONE wants big power. Don't even lie to yourselves!!

I still like this build.

This wasn't the stereotypical American answer at all!

Balance for a auto-x/time attack/drift/daily is far more important then overall power. I do feel this car will be a let down though, I like the idea of it... Just don't think the engine makes the power it'll need to really move or do well in any form of motorsport. As far as a unique daily goes I think you'll have a winner if you pull it off right. lol
Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #92
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANOLED SR View Post
This build is great except for it's missing the twin turbo kit!!! The Brembos are nice! Are they the 1 piece cast calipers?
Yes, they are 1pcs monoblock cast caliper. I wish they are forged though but I run out of money.

My plan was to have a somewhat mid-ship front engine layout. Power wise, yes, It won't be quick with 300whp but if a Carrera or E46 M3 can do decent in any motorsport, I am sure this car can do just fine with less weight.

Like I said, Twin turbo will happen, just not now. I want the car running before I do more power upgardes.

Did some shopping today
- Brakes lines
- Willwood BMC
- SBCC proportion valve
- Energy rear sway link
- Red Line diff oil

I am going to put my Tomei 2way in now..hopefully i'll have some pic later.

C-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #93
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I like this build...I just hopes it gets finished. It seems like all the awesome over the top builds either get parted out or disappear into internet oblivion. (Not hating, just saying.)

I think you have the right idea with the build. You'll get to know the car well in NA form while you save for the turbo setup. Then you can really uncork it and have some fun!

What size is that Wilwood BMC? Any reason for going that route over a 17/16" Z32?

Looking forward to seeing this completed!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #94
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
It's the same size as the z32, 17/16. I got because of the dual reservoir and it's cheaper than the z32 one. (comparing new to new).

another reason is z32 are LHD and I need a RHD model. R34 share the same same piston size but hard to come by.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #95
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post
My point is if people are swapping VQ out of Z33 for SR and V8
that means it's not a good setup for such heavy car.
Your argument makes no sense as the SR would be even worse in a heavier chassis.

I've only seen a few SR swaps and they seem more of a "look at me" deal then a real solution to making more power.

As for V8... more is better.

The VQ's primary issue is the fact that it's a N/A V6 crammed in a small engine bay. You can't simply "turn up the boost" for some quick power like a 300ZX, WRX, et al, and because of the insanely tight engine bay, it's hard to cram in any sort of turbo set up... even harder if you want to do it on the cheap.

Just about any N/A 4-banger, like a Honda Civic, RSX or a 240SX KA can be turbo-ed for only 1-2k with some nice results. The cheapest I've seen Z's done for is 4k... and many builds push you into the 8k range. It's just the nature of the beast.

So, for 8k... I could easily have a N/A LSX motor, pushing 500whp... or a 400ish WHP VQ on the verge of busting unless I do internals....

Hmm....
........hmmmmmm

The simple solution is always the best one.

To the Op, great job on the build car looks amazing, engine is amazing.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #96
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Jun Auto use to race SR R32's just a FYI.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #97
mrflip69
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
mrflip69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
^ God, seems every post from that Corbic guy has to deal with putting an LS1 in a car.

There's plenty of T/TT/Supercharged VQ setups out there making nice fat power bands, compared to turbo I4 setups.

Is it your wet dream to have the LS1 as the only engine available to man?
mrflip69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #98
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
I'd rather have a LS1 myself. The only reasons is its cheaper to make more power.

I know many of you guys take the back seat out, and remove the sound deadening and think your stock SR is the fastest car in the universe. Its not.

Its not hate, its just being realistic. Corbic is not wrong or right.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #99
NewYorkCoupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
NewYorkCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NewYorkCoupe
Hats off to you C-UNIT. Its nice to see someone step outside the normal engine swap and design a performance based machine. Subscribed
NewYorkCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #100
HPKMotorsports3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
HPKMotorsports3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Damnnnnn.... great work man... WTF do you do for income?
HPKMotorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #101
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
He sells ZJ's.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #102
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
LS1 sound boring.

jussayin'
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #103
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

OHV isn't really my thing, so LSX is out of the questions. It's just personal preferences, nothing related to performance.

Turbo charging will probably happen once the car runs and later on next year. I just don't want whole lot of customization going on the same time. Atleast if something goes wrong now, it'll be easier to fix than having everything custom and trace the problem.

As my source of income....good questions. I part time importing/sourcing cars/parts for people and part time doing stock market. Since I am going to school, I don't actually have a job.

Most of the parts on the car are from my supplier in Japan/HK. I wouldn't say they are cheap but I did get a good discount on them. Beside that, all the parts I sold off the car did cover up the cost of the car + a few G left!!!

Incase someone wants to fund my project..buy my FD and S14 please....................
Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #104
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
Jun Auto use to race SR R32's just a FYI.

SR into a R32 I popular overseas. N/a an turbo rb20 cars are cheap, common, and sir are SR motors. Overall the SR is superior to
thr RB20, being lighter with larger aftermarket, so it would make since to drop some weight and up the power on a lowly skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflip69 View Post
^ God, seems every post from that Corbic guy has to deal with putting an LS1 in a car.

There's plenty of T/TT/Supercharged VQ setups out there making nice fat power bands, compared to turbo I4 setups.

Is it your wet dream to have the LS1 as the only engine available to man?

Lack reading comprehension?

I'm well aware a VQ can make power, there are ones pushing 1,200whp. The problem is cost and packaging. There is NO ROOM in a 350/70Z engine bay.

People swap VQs into S13s more and more because a NA DE is putting down more power the a maxed t25 (~245whp) and is not adding any substantial weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-unit View Post
OHV isn't really my thing, so LSX is out of the questions. It's just personal preferences, nothing related to performance.

No doubt, great pick on the HR motor, they are beast, I hear the HRZs are actually quicker then the 370Zs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
I'd rather have a LS1 myself. The only reasons is its cheaper to make more power.

I know many of you guys take the back seat out, and remove the sound deadening and think your stock SR is the fastest car in the universe. Its not.

Its not hate, its just being realistic. Corbic is not wrong or right.
Exactly. Personal hindsight, I should have swapped a LS into my 350Z, and then swapped my VQ into my 240.... it would be almost a "buy one swap, get one free" deal.

But no, I now have a 220whp wonder of a 240 and boring 350Z.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #105
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thats about enough LS1 thread jacking. This is a build thread.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #106
Hayaku Kenji
Leaky Injector

Hayaku Kenji is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Lack reading comprehension?

I'm well aware a VQ can make power, there are ones pushing 1,200whp. The problem is cost and packaging. There is NO ROOM in a 350/70Z engine bay.

People swap VQs into S13s more and more because a NA DE is putting down more power the a maxed t25 (~245whp) and is not adding any substantial weight.

Too bad this isnt a 350z, so what does it matter how much room is in a 350/70s engine bay? Also who said anything about a 240? this man wants a VQ in his R32 so hes putting one in it and relaying the progress back to us on his adventure.... Its his car not yours. More power to him, doing something you dont see every day. Not trying to argue i just dont see how you arguing with other ppl in this thread over LSX relates to this build. but anywho......

GL on the build man! cant wait to see this thing done. PLZ PLZ PLZ post some vids!!
Hayaku Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #107
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayaku Kenji View Post
Too bad this isnt a 350z, so what does it matter how much room is in a 350/70s engine bay? Also who said anything about a 240? this man wants a VQ in his R32 so hes putting one in it and relaying the progress back to us on his adventure.... Its his car not yours. More power to him, doing something you dont see every day. Not trying to argue i just dont see how you arguing with other ppl in this thread over LSX relates to this build. but anywho......

GL on the build man! cant wait to see this thing done. PLZ PLZ PLZ post some vids!!
Is engish yer sekonc lanwige?

I am defending his choice of the VQ. Read the whole thread, people where belly aching about it saying "even 350 owners ditch them for SRs and V8s" and "R32s are to heavy for a VQ".

Ditching the VQ in a Z is a solid finical/performance decision, but so is ditching a SR/KA/RB in a S/R-chassis for a VQ, expecially a HR motor.

Stock for stock the HR is making a solid +40hp on the RB while weighting less, putting weight farther back and offering strong NA performace. HR motors are also rumored to hold 600rwhp on stock internals.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #108
project-D180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
project-D180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
nice build bro
project-D180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #109
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97240TB View Post
This wasn't the stereotypical American answer at all!

Balance for a auto-x/time attack/drift/daily is far more important then overall power. I do feel this car will be a let down though, I like the idea of it... Just don't think the engine makes the power it'll need to really move or do well in any form of motorsport. As far as a unique daily goes I think you'll have a winner if you pull it off right. lol

1. I'm not an American.

2. Why can't you have a balanced car with big power?

Drift Bible/Initial D has people making escuses for slow ass cars.

Oh dude, my car isn't slow, its balanced. Balance these nuts...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #110
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
im glad to see more asians building cars. hahah <3 car looks like its coming together nicely! cant wait to see it done!
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #111
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
lol at the thread. Obviously the LS V8s are more powerful/a better choice in the long run but the man chose the vq so let him be I am definitely going V8 in my s13 but a vq makes more sense than a heavy ass old RB. The R chassis is solid, double wishbone up front, so there's potential for good things happening here.
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #112
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Can we just get more pictures of those sexy brakes behind the SP1's please and thank you.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #113
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

VEEEEEEEEEEEEECUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

But yea..the front SP1 doesn't clear the front BBK so I sold it.. I am just keeping the rear for spares. This is why I bought the TE SL.

The Rear
monoblock 4piston with 345mm rotors

Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #114
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Great looking build, I cant wait to see the finished product. It seems like the car as a whole is going to be a little over the top... I like it.

I gatta say, the brakes are overkill but they look cool.
You know what they weigh?
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #115
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Oh man do I love overkill.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #116
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Man, one say I hope I can say "Damn, my Gangster ass brakes won't clear my already Gangster ass wheels. Looks like I have to order an entirely new set of even MORE Gangster ass wheels.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #117
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-unit View Post

Thanks for the bearings GB! I like the stock bumper look but it is really really play out here in canada. Plus I think the bumper will flow with the side skirt more.
Car will be a street car but I probably wont daily it too much + I'll get padding for sure!
NP - glad to see they'll be put to good use.

I can see what you're saying about the stock bumper. I guess I have the reverse mentality by going Zenki pignose on my kouki S13 and still rocking the stock zenki bumper just for the hell of it(and it takes track abuse very well with some titanium reinforcement!).

I will say that if you get some time to source an S14 rear subframe if it'll fit on an R32 GTR. The reduced anti-squat is a *HUGE* benefit compared to the jacked up anti-squat on the S13/R32/Z32 etc. rear subframes of that era.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #118
mrflip69
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
mrflip69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Shame about the SP1s not fitting, but good on you for not getting spacers! That's fucking insane, maxing out an 18" rim with rotors LOL.
mrflip69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #119
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sp1's are boss... 5mm spacers would have been easy.

but i can see it was about the love for TE's
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #120
Dub's
Zilvia Junkie

Dub's is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice man thats a lot of money and time put in.