Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 PM   #121
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Finally we have progress

It's been a few months since i've been able to move forward on this build, partially due to an incredibly incompetent company that messed up my torque wrenches and basically put me on a stand still from blue printing my block & the other part is making up my mind on certain aspects of my build.

regardless here is some of the progress I've made in the past four months.

Crank was de-burred, oil holes smoothed out, polished & balanced. Rear hole on the block was tapped for a 3/4 NPT plug. Block was re-surfaced, Bored & Honed Rod Big ends were machined for desired diameters, pison wrist pin bores were honed, & the assembly was balanced verified all bearing thicknesses to match 100% the desired thickness for the clearances we are after using standard nissan 1N5 & 60J bearings then sent all of my things and an EJ257 I'm currently building out to WPC

I basically had lots of time to save up and think about the powerband on where i wanted it. Two people i highly respect actually have been helping me with some of my theories and agreed with me so I ordered some Supertech Inconel +2mm oversized exhaust valves and +1mm oversized intake valves for the P11 Cylinder head along with all new valve guides & valve seats. Nick hunter of 5523 Motorsports offered me his 1N5 core (P11) as long as he was the one doing the cylinder head machining and porting. He is in charge of the entire cylinder head now.

since nick is currently going to town on my cylinder head i finally started to do the math thingies and size up a proper turbo to match my engine. Using the Borgwarner match bot it ended up telling me that this S257SX-E was going to be the best turbo for my application (i was expecting something like an EFR7163 or an EFR7670) but nope it was an SX-E so hey I'll take it! Also around the same time I was driving to pick up an HKS Turbo kit with my buddy Frank Siharath from Racetune Engineering (we always get into technical discussions and bounce ideas back and forth from one another) he convinced me that i needed an HKS GTII Wastegate in my life, and so I bought one.... and this is what it looks like next to my turbo.

Since Nick is supposed to be done with my head in a few more weeks I'm thinking of breaking all the air seals and starting assembly on the Short block. I want to put a video together for you guys to see just how amazing WPC really is and explain the process to you guys. I actually am now 100% setup to provide the public with the WPC process so if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask I'll be happy to help.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 04:49 PM..
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2017, 11:33 PM   #122
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
So, does BorgWarner not have an EFR that is "better" than their SX-E turbo? I would assume they'd have one that would make the same power with faster spool and more torque... Just doesn't make sense that their top of the line offering would be outperformed on their calculator.

Also curious on the reasoning for the HKS wastegate. To me it seems like a smaller Tial would be just as good. MV-S or even an MV-R. The HKS is just freaking huge. I sold my old Greddy Type-R gate for an MV-S that would probably outperform the greddy lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #123
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
So, does BorgWarner not have an EFR that is "better" than their SX-E turbo? I would assume they'd have one that would make the same power with faster spool and more torque... Just doesn't make sense that their top of the line offering would be outperformed on their calculator.
Here is the compressor plot of the EFR7163 with my engine data

Bypassing just over 37% of the exhaust flow around the turbine and sitting in the least efficient areas on both spool and the top end. so i could see the car falling off even harder past 8K RPM. (1st point is 3K last point is 8K) this is with the biggest A/R available too. V-band .85

Next up i figured 7670 would be perfect!

i mean even looking at this compressor map you'd think it is ideal. however the A/R for the T4 twin scroll unwastegated is 1.05A/R which is a little big for a 70mm turbine wheel. so the car would be a late spooler I'm seeing best case scenario in the mathematically ideal world 4psi by 3K RPM so i can imagine this being a late 3K early 4K spooler based on the data i see.

Here is the S257 compressor map

9psi by 3K RPM and no falling off at the top , with the .83A/R twin scroll housing it makes it a no brainer. I am wastegating about 24% of the exhaust flow by the top RPM which isn't terrible. Plus saves be around $1,100 compared to the EFR so I got nothing to loose.

Quote:
Also curious on the reasoning for the HKS wastegate. To me it seems like a smaller Tial would be just as good. MV-S or even an MV-R. The HKS is just freaking huge. I sold my old Greddy Type-R gate for an MV-S that would probably outperform the greddy lol.
Meeehhh Tial and Turbosmart have great products, however over the years in all the cars I've build I've noticed that the Tial and TS springs become soft over time. part of this Frank & I believe is due to the size of the components and the life span just isn't there, when you are beating on cars non stop for 20-30 minute sessions the wastegates get much hotter and move a ton more than on a few back to back freeway runs or in a Drift run. Also the valves being smaller they heat up quicker and wear the guide out faster. long story short end up having to rebuild them every season or every other season.

The HKS, Greddy, Apexi & Blitz units have much bigger bodies, valves & components that are able to radiate the heat better as well as handle the stress better. This is the first HKS Wastegate I've owned but the oldest being on a JZA80 Supra about 7 or 8 years ago and that car hasn't had the need to adjust boost or any complaints on boost falling off either. all the HKS 1000 GTR's I've worked on have a couple of these and have zero boost control issues even over the years. long story short it's bulky and huge but a better built unit. not saying the Tial and TS units aren't good I sell those quite a bit too, i just don't have a ton of time to work on my own car so I rather buy parts that are going to need less maintenance.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 09-26-2017 at 03:15 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #124
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Interesting, and the 7670 isn't available with a smaller say, T3 turbine housing for example?
I do understand saving over a grand in using the older generation turbo though. Makes sense.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #125
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Interesting, and the 7670 isn't available with a smaller say, T3 turbine housing for example?
I do understand saving over a grand in using the older generation turbo though. Makes sense.
There is but it's Single Scroll T3 so i'll end up having higher back pressure, and with the loss of exhaust scavenging that the Twin scroll gives me it'll hurt the spool rate and top end power. I've never considered the Single scroll so i never even did the math on that, only benefit i can see at this point from going EFR is the Gamma Ti Wheel. Considering the new SX-E uses the same compressor wheel and turbine wheel design just in Inconel i can live with the heavier turbine wheel if it saves me $1,100. Maybe in the future when my wallet isn't hurting as bad i can justify trying out a 7670 when the SX-E let's go. (No plans to run a BOV at this moment ).

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #126
bardabe
Post Whore!

I've been getting pretty side tracked lately, have lots on my plate (including 3 R32's in my backyard waiting for new hearts) but here is a video of yesterday's time playing with my new Dynapack.

https://www.facebook.com/bardabeperf...5760460770377/

^^^ Video Link ^^^

I should have some real progress updates once 5523 motorsports get's my cylinder head done

Review Thread
Old 11-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #127
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
I've been getting pretty side tracked lately, have lots on my plate (including 3 R32's in my backyard waiting for new hearts) but here is a video of yesterday's time playing with my new Dynapack.

https://www.facebook.com/bardabeperf...5760460770377/

^^^ Video Link ^^^

I should have some real progress updates once 5523 motorsports get's my cylinder head done
You're my hero Juan! So dreamy and such wow! I wanna be like you when I grow up!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #128
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Yep, all the pics on the prior 5 pages are dead

Any way we can get those back??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:36 AM   #129
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Got to love photobucket. That fix worked for a while but now its not.
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #130
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
fucking photobucket!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #131
bardabe
Post Whore!

So after a few months of downtime i have UPDATES:

Firstly I fixed the pictures, I didn't RESTORE all of them as i wanted to condense the thread a bit and kept just the important key parts. but hey most of them are up now lol.

Nick over at 5523 Motorsports finished my cylinder head a few months back, I just hadn't had time to update the thread due to a few reasons. I am no longer at Fontana Nissan (left in good graces, I still have Nissan parts hookup) and currently finishing school. Once I graduate I'll be going full tilt on my own tuning shop. For now I'll stick to tuning, building engines & parts sales to pay the bills until i can dedicate myself to the business full time.

ANYWAY, updates on the SR head looks amazing. Supertech Oversized Intake & Exhaust Valves with new guides. New Valve seats, Clark over at Jim Wolf Technologies provided us with Springs for my VE head for testing. I can't speak of many specifics when they'll be available for the public but JWT valve train components have always been top notch. Nick also did some combustion chamber re-shaping to make this efficient head for turbo. It is a very similar design to what was used in the Land Speed car he put together a few years ago for MotoIQ. so bare with me as that's secret Squirrel business and some of the pictures are censored to keep his information confidential. we also re-tapped the exhaust stud ports to use the R35 Inconel hardware instead of the traditional VE/DE Exhaust studs.

Exaust Ports

Intake Ports

Cutting old guides out,

Starting the re-shaping process.

preparing for assembly.

assembled

Shout out to Nick & Jen from 5523 Motorsports for the superb work.

and because I know people will ask, Here is a shot of the VE head comparing the intake ports next to the 65F

so pretty much at this point I have all the parts to assemble the engine, IIIIIII just have been sharing custody of this car along with my BNR32. I'm not sure as to which car get running first due to the whole getting my shop going again, school and the move to Texas. the SR20 still needs the following to get running

Intake Manifold (I will make)
Exhaust Manifold ( I will order)
Engine Management
Injectors
Fuel Pump
Transmission
Wiring

The R32 Needs
Injectors
Fuel Pump
Clutch
Engine swap (i have an R33 RB26 for it)
Tuning.

so while the R32 seems like it would be the easier of the two to get running I also hate to let this engine sit in a million pieces much longer.

Review Thread
Old 11-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #132
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Omg that head

But why was the valve area blurred in one of the pictures?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #133
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Omg that head

But why was the valve area blurred in one of the pictures?
5523 Motorsports re-shaped the entire combustion chamber, so they asked me to not show that to the public. that's why it's cut in certain areas and blurred in others.

Review Thread
Old 11-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #134
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Fantastic work! What are you going to school for? Also how did you learn all of this stuff? I try to read as much as I can on various forums, and on motoiq but I feel like there is never enough content to teach me this much lol.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #135
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Teigen is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice! What a lovely combination. The SR and the Z, actually makes me want to do the same thing.

I once considered a VG30 in my KP61 Starlet :'D
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #136
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Looks like some real solid head work!
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #137
bardabe
Post Whore!

For sale thread coming soon, selling the SR20VET setup putting the Z back to stock and selling it, went a little over my head with trying to finish this, the R32 AND moving to Texas all in one year... sorry to disappoint fellas.

Review Thread
Old 03-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #138
bardabe
Post Whore!

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=667717

Part out Thread for the Engine.

Review Thread