Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR WC ECU - Water Damage

Thoughts?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Jedi...an/library/S14

Got a good deal on a S14 last week but it hasn't ran in 3yrs. Has sat for 4. Pretty sure the ECU got wet @ some point along the line... Need to drain the tank, engine oil, change filters, purge fuel lines etc before I even attempt to turn it over. With 740's I need this ECU to work because picking up a stock ECU will be easy enough but then I need to wire in an SAFC just to get it to start.

Board itself doesn't look like it is damaged. Corrosion is bad around the harness socket but the pins all seem clean.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
I have the stock ecu.... and I have an enthalpy one as well
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Hold your horses now I know you're trying to sell product but let us address the situation first.

Car sat for 4 years with 365 days supposedly running before reaching full term rest for an additional 1,100 days.

What you need to do is proceed with restoration as planned and do your checks on the engine operation and then address the ecu.

Corrosion will happen without the solid presence of water. the ecu didn't necessarily have to get wet directly for that to happen. However, the biggest question is whether or not the ecu got moisture on it while there was still a charge on the battery.

Clean it up but possibly retrieve a backup or loaner as well.

I just wouldn't discredit it this early.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
rawgarage

rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
I looked at the ecu in his pics... I wouldn't plug that up on any of my cars...
Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Why? Because of the porous metal case corrosion, or because you personally have access to other ECU's and don't need to chance this one?

Let him decide the outcome of this computer. it's not totally trashed until it's totally trashed.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #6
rawgarage

No I've seen Ecus in better shape cause all hell....

I don't need his business, I value it. I just simply offered a guaranteed alternative that will have a positive outcome..

I mean all you did was give him the go ahead to do what he was already going to do... which I have no problem with

FAM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
kruked
Nissanaholic!

kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
On a serious note, does it look worse in person than what is pictured? If so, I wouldn't put too much faith in some of those transistors. The daughter board is salvageable though.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just buy a new ECU... They're like $350 for a used tuned one.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Jefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jefro240; 10-28-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Jefro240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:40 AM   #10
Mota_s13

Mota_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have two ecus for sale one tune on 740cc injectors z32 and s15 turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mota_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If it already has safc wired into the harness, you don't have to re-wire it if you change the ecu..
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
However, the biggest question is whether or not the ecu got moisture on it while there was still a charge on the battery.
That is my hope... That if or when it did get wet. That the entire electrical system was already completely dead. I cannot see any signs of visual damage to the board "no burn marks, no brown or black stains" etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgarage View Post
No I've seen Ecus in better shape cause all hell....
I'm under the impression if I were to plug it in and it were toast, nothing would happen. Worst case, I'd have resistance or connectivity issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruked View Post
On a serious note, does it look worse in person than what is pictured? If so, I wouldn't put too much faith in some of those transistors. The daughter board is salvageable though.
I think the pictures are a far representation of how the ECU looks in person... These two area's are my only real concern. Which I'm going to try cleaning up with a Q-Tip & Rubbing Alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
If it already has safc wired into the harness, you don't have to re-wire it if you change the ecu..
It never had an SAFC. So I'd literally have to buy one and wire it in just to start the car using a stock replacement ECU.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #13
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

In case anyone is interested... I cleaned up the ECU to remove as much of the corrosion as possible. Did all the filters, fluids & plugs on the engine. Fresh fuel & battery... Wont turn over.

Have power to everything. Can hear the starter click when you turn the key but it doesn't actually engage. As if the battery were dead but its not... So either the starter isn't getting enough juice for some reason. CAS is toast. OR, the ECU is toast.

Trouble shooting will began tomorrow after work.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #14
rawgarage

Borrow one locally and use it as a test mule
Old 10-31-2016, 05:48 AM   #15
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Borrow one locally and use it as a test mule
Going to try jumping the starter first... I get 1 click from the starter which could mean its toast. Worst case, could be a dirty connection. Also need to check out the starter relay.

Not counting the ECU out just yet... Because even if the ECU were toast. The engine should still turn over proper without the ECU even being plugged in.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Update... Got the starter working & engine is turning over just fine now. I have fuel. No spark.

I can try swapping over the ignitor chip from my s13. Going to see if I can flash the ECU for any codes. Only other ideas are to test the coil packs & make sure the coil pack harness is getting power. Otherwise, I need to find a replacement ECU, tuned or not & see if I get spark. Any other ideas?
Old 11-07-2016, 04:37 AM   #17
rawgarage

Pull a spark plug and test it...
Old 11-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #18
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Pull a spark plug and test it...
Already have... That is how I know I have no spark.

Hence testing to see if the ignitor & coil pack harness are receiving power. I assume the CAS is communicating with the ECU since its dumping fuel.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #19
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Tested the ignitor & coil packs and they checked out. Just to be positive I swapped the ignitor & coil packs from the S14 over to my S13 and it started right up.

Tested for power at the ignitor with the ignition on and only saw 3V on all 4.

Found a replacement ECU which I'm picking up tomorrow morning to see if that will fix the no spark issue. Otherwise I need to figure out why there is only 3V going to the ignitor.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:39 AM   #20
rawgarage

I have the ecu you need text me 9792366891
Old 02-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

So guess what guys...

Engine is running via the ECU pictured above. So even with the corrosion/oxidization of the casing etc it has not caused any connectivity issues.

Issue lied in the factory jdm harness the previous owner modified. Swapped it out for a Wiring Specialties one and problem solved!