Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SR20 crank journal question

I recently ripped apart a built SR20 I bought a while back. The #1 rod journal looks concerning, one side looks pretty normal where as the other side looks entirely different. The bearing was not spun, but it was worn which I understand because the engine was built over 6 years ago. Is this crank worth taking to the machine shop to have inspected and polished or should I just use the other crank I have?

Old 11-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Anything a fingernail can catch on?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Drop it off at the machine shop. If you can feel it with a finger nail, it may be best grabbing anorter crank.

Mine looked similar and the machine shop was able to polish it out. It's out getting measured for bearings as I type this
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
Anything a fingernail can catch on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Drop it off at the machine shop. If you can feel it with a finger nail, it may be best grabbing anorter crank.

Mine looked similar and the machine shop was able to polish it out. It's out getting measured for bearings as I type this
Fingernail doesn't catch anything which is what makes me think it should be okay. I was mainly concerned with how it looks, but if this seems like something that can be polished out I'll probably take both to be inspected and polished and if both are good to go, the second will go in a cabinet to chill until I need it.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Get the crank polished and those rods re-sized. Notice how the wear is more aparent on the top and bottom of the bearing? That happens when you over-torque a rod and oval the rod journal.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Get the crank polished and those rods re-sized. Notice how the wear is more aparent on the top and bottom of the bearing? That happens when you over-torque a rod and oval the rod journal.
Wasn't me that did it lol, but I see what you mean. Rods will be looked over before they go back in for sure, I was surprised when I disassembled it how tight the bolts were.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Wasn't me that did it lol, but I see what you mean. Rods will be looked over before they go back in for sure, I was surprised when I disassembled it how tight the bolts were.
No worries, it happens a lot when people just torque rods by torque spec and not with a rod bolt stretch gauge.

Think of the torque rating as a generally safe guideline, the rod bolt stretch gauge is an absolute science.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
No worries, it happens a lot when people just torque rods by torque spec and not with a rod bolt stretch gauge.

Think of the torque rating as a generally safe guideline, the rod bolt stretch gauge is an absolute science.
They are eagle rods so not the highest quality to begin with, but the motor has a fully balanced rotating assembly so I'd like to keep them if I can along with the crank in question.

Judging by some of the things I found disassembling the engine, it doesn't surprise me the bolts were over torqued