Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
MrSlappy

Trader Rating: (0)
MrSlappy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question SR20 IACV Delete

I'll be putting my SR back in soon and was thinking about deleting the IACV to reduce clutter in the engine bay. Before I did anything drastic I was wondering if any experienced SR guys could chime in. I don't want to make the car run like shit, but I wouldn't mind if the idle's rpm bounced around a little. I tried to find potential videos of cars with deleted IACVs, but only found a couple that showed two very different outcomes. Anyone ever done it before? If so, how did it turn out?
MrSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've done it before, many times! The outcome is always the same every time, Idle's like stock, higher vacuum.
This is what I do after the IACV has been blocked off and intake pipe modified. Go into timing mode, adjust base idle via throttle plate, leave timing mode. Rev engine, to about 4500rpm, apply brakes to try and make engine stall. Test drive same test, real world. done. This my experience with SR's though and most had atmospheric BOV's.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"

Last edited by cotbu; 07-30-2013 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Or was it lower vacuum damn! ICR!
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
With an aftermarket intake manifold, the clutter factor is minimal... However, there is beauty in simplicity~
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
MrSlappy

MrSlappy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
I've done it before, many times! The outcome is always the same every time, Idle's like stock, higher vacuum.
This is what I do after the IACV has been blocked off and intake pipe modified. Go into timing mode, adjust base idle via throttle plate, leave timing mode. Rev engine, to about 4500rpm, apply brakes to try and make engine stall. Test drive same test, real world. done. This my experience with SR's though and most had atmospheric BOV's.
That's encouraging! Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is 'timing mode'? I'm assuming some sort of ecu mode??
MrSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Also considering this since I live in a place that is always hot. I know in places that have 4 seasons it's not really a good thing to do.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Also considering this since I live in a place that is always hot. I know in places that have 4 seasons it's not really a good thing to do.
I would think the opposite would be true in this case. Always hot means AC is important to have. AAC/IACV adjusts the idle for when the compressor kicks on. I'm sure there is a way around that, but still might be less ass pain to keep it. If you don't have AC, then yea nothing to consider.

As far as 4 seasons goes, this tells me that AC is only needed in the summer; and running the heater won't affect the idle to the degree of the AC compressor. Unless I have this backwards, it seems to me that a milder climate would be the optimal place to delete the AAC valve.