Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
MaxS15

Trader Rating: (0)
MaxS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will an 07 VQ35HE gearbox bolt to a DE?

Hi.

I'm doing a gearbox conversion onto an SR20VET. Most adapters for SR20s are for upto 06 VQ35DE boxes only, but one or two specify that VQ35HR gearboxes will work too.

Do these two boxes have the same mounting bolt layout and Bellhousing design? If not do you have any examples as the service manuals look very similar.

I know they have different slave cylinders but I hope to get around this.

Any help greatly appreciated as if they will bolt up, I don't have to find a CD009 box, but have a little choice.

Max
MaxS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Other than the internal Slave, the other difference was the starter position on the bell housing.

Mine was an 08z, and it was very straightforward with the maverick kit.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
MaxS15

Great, now you mention the difference it is so obvious. Hopefully nothing else in terms of depth of bellhousing/bolts to catch me out on.

I see how I will probably have to use an S14 clutch due to the additional thickness of an s15 one.

I think I will end up with an older CD008 and the later CD009 with CSC if all goes well. Fit the 008 initially and build up the parts required for the 009 from the HR and swap at a later date.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 AM   #4
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am not 100% sure. But I know some other adapter plates for other engines say that one is for a de trans and the other plate is for an hr trans. I would simply ask the manufacturer, this way if they say yes and it doesn't fit. You can return it because they sent the wrong item.
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Figure out internal or external slave
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The big difference is the size of the bearings that hold the shafts. The later model boxes use a smaller bearing so they didn't center correctly into adapters like our bellhousing, but as of yesterday we developed a sleeve that you can put around the bearing to center it in our kit allowing the use for later model boxes.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
MaxS15

quick, I have asked a few companies and as not many have come across the HR box in comparison to more CD009, they say no.

Rawgarage, It is the HR so internally slaved.

Thank you very much for the update Mazworx. Im very pleased i can go for kit if my UK only solution doesnt come good. My UK tuners plates do not require machining the bellhousing, but use the deeper S15 clutch. Not tried with the HR box yet though so we shall see..
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
The starters for the HR engines are on the opposite side as the DE engines. So the bell housings are shaped differently.

Attached Images
File Type: png bellhousing.png (78.0 KB, 54 views)
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Started looking into a trans swap for my SR as well, this thread piqued my interest. From what I've been able to find, the companies that sell adapters have provisions for both the DE and HR bolt patterns. Since you're mounting it up to an SR, the side the starter is on in the stock VQ is irrelevant.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
MaxS15

I agree that the starter side shouldn't be an issue as the starter will bolt to the SR adapter plate.
The bolt patterns look broadly similar, with the odd additional hole on the HR. I'm hoping the question of the HR box compatibility is largely down to people not having tried it rather than it not working.
I do wonder if the upgraded CSC will be beneficial over a CD009 setup, and I'm a little excited about the serialnine ready made shifter solution (worth a youtube)

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk