Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Z-Fever

Trader Rating: (0)
Z-Fever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Z-Fever builds SR20 powered 350Z w/ all OEM functionality

We just started a really cool build. We had a customer bring us an 03 350Z and he wants a truly unique set up. It is getting an S14 SR20DET. We are fully building the engine, making a top mount manifold (custom) with a Garrett 3076 (GT30R) turbo and 850cc inj's. our goal is to do something no one has done before though. We are keeping the OEM drive by wire set-up from the 350Z and running a dual ECU set-up. This will allow us to manage the engine as well as to maintain the VTC, traction control, cruise control, and all factory gauges. The S14 ECU does not run can-bus but the 350Z's does. This is a cool build. I hope you like it.
Here are the pics as it is coming together. I will add pics as the build continues.

and here are all the parts we are using to build the engine:

850cc injectors

New OEM S14 oil pump

New .20 over CP pistons

New HKS 264 step 2 camshafts

New Supertech performance spring and retainers

New Cosworth 87mm x 1.1mm metal head gasket

New SCAT forged rods

New ARP head studshttp://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/301868_10150373688798296_296402898295_9772422_5538 780_n.jpg[/img]
New ARP main studs

The engine has been sent out, hot tanked, bored .20 over, and honed. The crank was polished and balanced.

The head has been completely reconditioned and the new springs, retainers, and cams are installed.

And of course, this is the heart of it all... the Garrett GT30R (3076) fully ball bearing beast. This power plant should make an easy 500whp on pump gas.
I know that some people will not like this build because we have taken out a perfectly good running VQ35 that we could have boosted and made 400whp or built and gotten more than 600whp. All true, but we have done 100 350Z's just like that. This is something unique that you won't see 50 of at a car show. And the way we are doing it is truly inspiring. I don't think anyone has maintained all the OEM functionality of the gauges and drive-by-wire.
I hope ou like it.

We have finally built the engine and are getting ready to install into the chassis. Here are pics of the engine build:

Installing the Supertech springs and retainers

The powder coated S14 valve cover. It is polished then black satin coated

Now we are putting the bottom end together with all new pistons, rings, main bearings, rod bearings, ARP's and metal head gasket:

New performance oil pump gears:

Then we installed the front timing cover:

Then we installed the ARP head studs, Cosworth head gasket, and cylinder head. Along with in the intake manifold, valvecover, and custom made exhaust manifold:

I will post more pics after we get the engine set in place and start building the custom engine and trans mounts...

Here are the engine mounts we made for this build:
[img] http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...14186896_n.jpg [/img]

And here is what the engine looks like in the car

Here is the VQ35 drive-by-wire throttle body installed onto the S14 intake

We are using a Greddy VSPL front mount intercooler and have it mounted already

We started making the turbo manifold today. Using T304 stainless 1/2" flange we made and schedule 10 T304 stainless bends
{img]http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396732_10150633848578296_296402898295_10929013_121 0737757_n.jpg [/img]

We went ahead and threw my ITS T72 on it just so we can see how cool it looks.

More pics to follow:

We finally got her running today. Still have a few things to do but EVERYTHING works. The VTC, cruise, speedo, oil peressure, temp gauge, etc... Drive by wire throttle body functions. It is as though the SR20DET came in this 350Z (except it is 500hp). Here is a video for you to check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ikTn0FYf4c
PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Last edited by Z-Fever; 03-10-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Z-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
living4surf
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (52)
living4surf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 52 reviews
This is actually pretty sick. I mean not what I would of spent my money on but still sick
living4surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Damn that's a sick oil cap! Know where i can also get one?
And these builds are always top notch, love reading through them.
Keep up the good work!
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Z-Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinggg View Post
Damn that's a sick oil cap! Know where i can also get one?
These are available on ebay. We are not leaving it on the engine. We put it on there for the picture.. It matched the purple velocity stack...
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
your font is too small. i can't see it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
AsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
crazy. there was another 350z a while back with an sr in it. cant remember who did it. im sure it wasnt fly by wire though. good shit.
AsleepAltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
I have to ask why SR? Just to be "unique"?

That's like putting a V6 into a C6 vette...
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
I have to ask why SR? Just to be "unique"?

That's like putting a V6 into a C6 vette...
its cheaper then building a vq, it can sit lower and further back then the vq does...making it have a better center of gravity, its easier to work on then a vq, its lighter then a vq, and the list goes on...there are plenty of positives to doing an SR in a Z

I am also in the middle of doing an sr in a 350z (I have a build thread on here)
Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
filluptieu
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
filluptieu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
So the VTC is running even though you guys will be pushing 500 hp?
filluptieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
I LOVE the idea and that is truly some great work but I don't like the way it went.

I think it would have been cooler to install a lightly modified sr20, something believable with a tune.

Plus that Z looks GROSS imo. Totally ruins it for me lol, but whatever, not my car.

Very nice work by you guys though.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Z-Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsleepAltima View Post
crazy. there was another 350z a while back with an sr in it. cant remember who did it. im sure it wasnt fly by wire though. good shit.
Chris Forsberg's MotoRex 350Z had an SR in it. Just for drifting, no OEM gauges or Drive by wire.
Signal Auto of Japan also built one, same thing though...No OEM electronics worked.
Ours has VTC, cruise control, gauges, can-bus functionality, the works.... This is truly the coolest thing about this build. It took us a few weeks to get the full OEM functionality to work. It is a very tricky wiring job that required the use of both the SR20 and the VQ35 ECU's to work together.
We still need to finish the ROM tune on the SR's ECU. We will get a few miles on it and then stick it on the dyno and fully tune it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Fever View Post
These are available on ebay. We are not leaving it on the engine. We put it on there for the picture.. It matched the purple velocity stack...
Ohhh yeah found it, thanks!
I actually first thought it was like a HKS product that's why i asked..
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
rc1honda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
rc1honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This looks likes very solid, well thought out, and properly funded build and I'm sure it will be awesome.

That said with all the great motors out there why the old school SR20? Why not a new 6 liter hemi. Or a LS7 or a v10 from a Gallardo?

I mean really. The SR20 is old tech. I have a SR. Aspiring shop's and builders should be thinking for the future not the past. Why not make something truly unique?

Put the 3.5 liter v-8 from a 355 in that shit if you wanna go backwards in technology.

Shops and builders need to start moving forward with the swap strategy. This shit is getting boring.

BTW that vid is pretty cool.
rc1honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Pretty cool. Too bad he didn't go full out baller and do the S15 SR w/6spd transmission.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
killer skittle
Zilvia Member

killer skittle is an unknown quantity at this point
How did you tune it? Did you just tune the stock 350x ecu to replicate the sr? I dont understand how that was accomplished. How was the drive via wire accomplished as well?

What was his total $$$$$ out the door?
killer skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I'm a fan of swaps, so I'll be following this build! Great work so far guys!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Pretty cool. Too bad he didn't go full out baller and do the S15 SR w/6spd transmission.
Oh Florida. When building an SR at the end of the day it really doesn't make much difference what generation you start with. Also the 6spd is garbage. He would do good to just mate the 350Z 6spd to the SR.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
Jus Skott
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Jus Skott can only hope to improveJus Skott can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jus Skott
you ll amzed me when I was living down in Clearwater and 11 years later, your still doing it. KudfuckingOh's! Keep up the awesome work.

Looking for yard parts, PM me.
Jus Skott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
jdmfan13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
jdmfan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
very nice build and a good setup
jdmfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
sexcii-zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
sexcii-zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
looking good keep it rolling and actually finish updating...
zfever...u guys only answer whatever questions u guys want...my self and many ask questions and u guys dont answer
sexcii-zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
its cheaper then building a vq, it can sit lower and further back then the vq does...making it have a better center of gravity, its easier to work on then a vq, its lighter then a vq, and the list goes on...there are plenty of positives to doing an SR in a Z

I am also in the middle of doing an sr in a 350z (I have a build thread on here)

There was a member on here who weighed the KA, SR, and VQ and they all weighed the same give or take a couple pounds. (pretty sure it was Fred Allen Burge). He USED to have pics of everything, but they've been taken down I guess.
So it's not lighter.

The SR may be cheaper if you have no motor to start with, but I can't see swapping out a VQ to install an SR being "cheaper".

I could argue that the SR is longer, so I can't see it sitting further back.

Being easier to work is relative. What's easy for you may not be easy for someone else and vise versa.
Plus I don't see how trying to set up 2 ecu's to work in conjunction with each other is easier either.

This seems like a lot of hassle just to be "unique".
And I'm not really seeing any "positives" to it.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #22
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
This seems like a lot of hassle just to be "unique".
And I'm not really seeing any "positives" to it.
Remember, the OP is being paid to do this for someone else.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
atutt
Zilvia Addict

I'm aware of that. Which is why I asked "why SR? Just to be unique?"

As to inquire that the OP may know why the customer wanted it done for another reason other than to be unique.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #24
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
jesse_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Car looks HORRIBLE but the motor and build seems legit. Some good working you guys have done. I would have left the vq in or done an rb....Sr seems like a down grade to me.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #25
StryfeS13
It's Always Broken.

Trader Rating: (14)
StryfeS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I wouldnt have chose an SR either, but the quality of the work looks to be very good
Gotta love Zilvia.
StryfeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #26
D1S13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
D1S13 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
good work!!!

www.teamtopflight.blogspot.com
D1S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #27
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
BEFORE

You go around spamming your build thread on every forum. Make sure you didn't already make one.

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/423922-z-fe...rive-wire.html
Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #28
OzzYNMotioN
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
OzzYNMotioN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the build looks great!!!!
OzzYNMotioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #29
sex14
Zilvia Member