Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #631
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ253 View Post
oh shit! luckily you werent hurt. but how sure are you that that happened because of you boxing in the rods?
Well there's no way to be 100% sure. It stands to reason though, that boxing and poly bushings made them too stiff and they broke at the weak point. If I had done the boxing better, it might not have happened.

Mine are boxed between the black lines on the first pic. If I had done it more like the bottom, and connected it to the barrel and welded it there as well, it might not have snapped. Who knows?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #632
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
It's not just tension, it's compression as well. And with stock bushings, there needs to be some resistance to buckling and bending due to how the bushing loads. I'm not saying that that bracing it really necessary, but it can increase the strength of the arm.

Any arm that does not have rod ends/spherical bearing at both ends is not a pure tension/compression member. Even a pure tension compression member needs to have resistance to buckling, but there would be no moment generated at the mounting point becasue of the bushings.
Yeah I guess you are right in saying that they aren't pure tension/compression members unless you have spherical bearings, but either way, I still think that the gusseting that he added as useless. Check out the way that other poster's arm failed. What happened there is that the really stiff bushing produced more bending moment at the bushing housing weld.

I guess I just don't get why people are going through all the trouble to box, paint, and add stiffer bushings when the clear better solution is to just buy some quality arms with heims.
naed240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #633
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
It's probably not useless, but it may not be worth the time and effort either.

The other person's arm look like it failed because the arm was already cracked. If you look at the break point, there is rust on the lower half. It looks like it was failing over time and then finally gave out, probably because the poly bushing ran out of grease and created a ton of friction slowly wearing the arm out. At least that's what it looks like.

For the rear upper arms, I really don't think it's necessary. For the lowers, I can see some benefit due to the sway bar loading on both ends and the TC rod in the front. Boxing them in on the bottom will stiffen them in ways that will benefit.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #634
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
For the rear upper arms, I really don't think it's necessary. For the lowers, I can see some benefit due to the sway bar loading on both ends and the TC rod in the front. Boxing them in on the bottom will stiffen them in ways that will benefit.
Yeah I agree with this.
naed240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #635
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
Felt like getting back with aluminum and getting some quick practice in today, its been awhile since i welded aluminum, ive been practicing on stainless steel for a little and was getting i bit tired with it and wanted to weld on a different type of metal.

this is 1/8 plating welded with 3/32 5356 filler rod and used 3/32 2% red end tungsten

Some warm up flat stringer beads.

T joint welds.

here i tryed spreading the beads out a little.
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #636
Swerv13
Leaky Injector

Swerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Wow. Thats some great sheet metal work. Always nice to see someone know what they are doing.
actually im not that experienced with sheet metal, maybe its just natural skill? haha jk

im way too much of a space cadet to remember the sheet metal gauge i was using on that rust bucket!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #637
Swerv13
Leaky Injector

Swerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enough
OK i have another project to post up. i dont agree with anything i did on this car, but its not my car and i get payed by the hour to do what im told lol........

i am installing a "drag" spec cage, the minimal of minimal. and altho i prefure to stitch weld my cages, i was told todo a smooth continuous weld. whatever floats your boat right? AND WE ALL KNOW THE HONDA KIDS WILL WET THEIR PANTS OVER THIS CAR.

ok so ripping out the interior and cleaning off the paint in the areas to be welded is first.

welded in the mounting plates, the welds arnt too great. NOTE: none of the mounting plates will pass SCCA rulebooks (this is how my boss told my to make it, haha)

main hoop is tacked in and ready for more, just like your mom is always ready for more.

rear down bars are next....um the mounted far behind the strut towers. if it was my shitbox they would be mounted to the strut towers.

yep, thats all the bars to be installed here!

a better view?

and from the outside??

oh yah this car is hot! hahahaha
Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #638
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
wow what a weird looking cage.

money is money though.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #639
ESone3
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (15)
ESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
mig welding with gas, is it that much better than just the fluz wire?

I'm going to be picking up a mig soon and I want to know if its worth it to get the gas connections... and of course gas.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #640
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Dont even waste your time with flux core mig welders. Get a decent mig, and lincoln L56 wire. That is the best wire for beginners when using gas. And home depot carries it.

But yea. flux core is also not good to learn with. You will get frustrated, and it will not help you learn anything.

Luke
Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #641
ESone3
Zilvia.net Advertiser

ESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of light
well that sucks cause I just bought one today... lolo!

I got it on the cheap and its probably good for what i'm doing now. Nothing major. So far it seems like it burns too hot and I only ahve a hi/low setting. SUCKS!

Anyway, don't you have to convert your outlets to a higher voltage? I don't think i'm ready to start tearing up my new condo, but probably will concider it later on.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #642
blu808
Post Whore!

What brand is your new welder? Sounds like a century?

No. You can find many good 110v mig welders that plug into a regular outlet.
Luke
Old 05-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #643
luisgonz
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to luisgonz
Quote:
What brand is your new welder? Sounds like a century?

No. You can find many good 110v mig welders that plug into a regular outlet.
Luke
Who the hell own a century? It really about Miller. Im sorry if I sound like a e-thug.LOL
luisgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #644
blu808
Post Whore!

I guess this guy owns one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESone3 View Post
well that sucks cause I just bought one today... lolo!

I got it on the cheap and its probably good for what i'm doing now. Nothing major. So far it seems like it burns too hot and I only ahve a hi/low setting. SUCKS!

Anyway, don't you have to convert your outlets to a higher voltage? I don't think i'm ready to start tearing up my new condo, but probably will concider it later on.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #645
luisgonz
BANNED

luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Sorry, I just got back from a party and was a little........How do you say. Wired.haha At my old job we had a Ancient Linde, That thing was bad ass. I'll fab something up fast to get this thread rolling again. Come-on Someone has to have something new.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #646
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I did some brackets for my intercooler, they're small-time. I will be going to a Luke-status fabricator on Tuesday to mandrel-bend me an exhaust and chop/section my downpipe to fit the chassis as tight as possible - I'll get some pics of that, and then throw together a "premie build thread" with the whole S14 project

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #647
blu808
Post Whore!

aww. i guess i gotta buy me a premie membership now.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #648
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
aww. i guess i gotta buy me a premie membership now.
Hell yeah, you do!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #649
blu808
Post Whore!

but im suppost to be a vendor. Can i be both?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #650
luisgonz
BANNED

Quote:
but im suppost to be a vendor. Can i be both?
Damn that sucks but help out at the same time.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #651
blu808
Post Whore!

How about i just give zilvia like $200 and be both?

edit.
Back on topic please. I will post new fab pics soon. TITANIUM WELDING SAUCE
Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #652
ESone3
Zilvia.net Advertiser

i'm kinda scared to say it... fine, here it goes... Harbor Freight welder. I believe the brand is Chicago Welders or something. Its my first so I don't mind getting something cheap for now.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #653
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESone3 View Post
i'm kinda scared to say it... fine, here it goes... Harbor Freight welder. I believe the brand is Chicago Welders or something. Its my first so I don't mind getting something cheap for now.
How much did you pick it up for? if you dont mind me asking.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #654
ESone3
Zilvia.net Advertiser

$120

I have a friend that has one and he says its been great for him. I just need it for minor body/chassie repair for now. Nothing pretty, just something that will work.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #655
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
my first post on this thread... figured it was about time.
First time tig welding aluminum pipe or a bov flange too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #656
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
another side job making a oil return on a E30 bmw oil pain for a custom turbo setup. With the motor sitting at like a 60deg angle i made a block for the bung to be welded onto so the return like and maintain a downward angle.
now i have the fun part of welding it to the oil pan... i cleaned inside and out where im welding it... so far i only have 1/4 of it done since its been so time consuming since it dosent realy start a good bead tell its super o shit hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #657
240sxaddict
Leaky Injector

240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self
My brothers fender tubs, I did the metal work and a friend mig welded. Some welds are partially grinded down and look alittle weird.

There's more holes to fill and some mud and sanding to do. And of course paint. Next projects are suspension arms and rollcage

Last edited by 240sxaddict; 05-31-2008 at 09:37 PM..
240sxaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #658
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
nice, i like how the fender rounds off at the end, instead of a sharp edge. after some grinding a bondoing it will look good after paint.

did you guys get that off a trailer fender?
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #659
240sxaddict
Leaky Injector

240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self240sxaddict is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisEpyon View Post
nice, i like how the fender rounds off at the end, instead of a sharp edge. after some grinding a bondoing it will look good after paint.

did you guys get that off a trailer fender?
haha, yes we did. got the idea when a guy did it on another forum.
240sxaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #660
tt99ol
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
tt99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond reputett99ol has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tt99ol
i've got a quick question
is there a right way to stitch weld
like do you drill holes and weld them up
or just weld the seams where they overlap
thanks in advance guys