Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #5761
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Whoa! I had not checked in on this thread in quite some time.
There is a lot of excellent, motivational materials posted up.

That Coyote sure is something neat!

Looking good, Mr. Unisa Jecs.

And of course Russell's welds are always insanely amazing quality
Old 06-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #5762
ilovemycoupe

Trader Rating: (0)
ilovemycoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435268684.489219.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435268702.088097.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435268742.886873.jpg

Figure I add to the post my tubs I did in my coupe
ilovemycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #5763
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
hey where do you guys get alluminum piping for intercoolers? which type ? also for mig welding aluminum what wire do you guys recommend?
Depends on what tube you are looking for...I go to Vibrant for bends and Coast for straights. I do not recommend MIG welding intercooler piping. It is too thin. For just mig welding thicker aluminum I use Alcoa 4043/ 0.035" wire. I have a push pull gun though.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #5764
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Depends on what tube you are looking for...I go to Vibrant for bends and Coast for straights. I do not recommend MIG welding intercooler piping. It is too thin. For just mig welding thicker aluminum I use Alcoa 4043/ 0.035" wire. I have a push pull gun though.

Im with him on that ^^^

I use vibrant as well for aluminum and other odd ball tubing.

I use Parts Shop Max for my Stainless Oval though its a better quality tube.

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #5765
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Not sure if this has been posted but, it's purdy!

http://www.sdmfcustoms.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TeamSDMF/timeline
Old 09-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #5766
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Tfw you paint your cage but forgot to read the rulebook first.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #5767
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Miller synchrowave 200

Some stuff ive done over the years on my S14 catch cans, aluminum exhaust, downpipes, dumptubes, intake manifold mods, subframe modification for R230.

The others are mig welding photos for a cheap weekend project i did on a cheap honda i got that i figured needed a turbo

Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #5768
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^ Looks good. Curious though, what was the reason for the work dont to the subframe? Looks like just raising the diff? Sorry. Looks dang good though.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #5769
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntdevil View Post
^ Looks good. Curious though, what was the reason for the work dont to the subframe? Looks like just raising the diff? Sorry. Looks dang good though.
I installed an R230 rear end from a Z32 Twin Turbo, i kept breaking the stock pinions and the R230 is massive compared to ANY R200.

If you look at the picture a little closer you will see that the mounting ears on the R230 are set out about an Inch wider and will not bolt to subframe, also the "tunnel" where the front of the rear end sits into is to shallow for the R230 to sit flush so i cut it out more and made it deeper..

If you search my Threads i did a more involved writeup/ explanation of the swap.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #5770
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hey guys. Im considering buying a budget TIG welder. It'll be my first time tig welding and I'll be learning as I go. Im pretty much set on the new Ahp alphatig 200x. I would be using it on smaller stuff such as IC and exhaust piping, repairing damaged oil pans, air ducts, welding bungs, and all the other stuff the mig can't do (mostly aluminum). But my first project, and what has pushed me to buy one, is that Im in the middle of modifying an rb25 stock intake manifold. So, the question is: Is the ahp capable of welding the stock intake manifold? According to the specs it welds up to 1/4" thick aluminum, and I know it'll be a little thicker in a few areas of the manifold. Like I said, Im using this project as an excuse to get a tig welder, so I would hate to have to take the manifold to my friend with the big tig welder anyway after I find out the machine I purchased wasn't strong enough...
this is the modification Im talking about
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #5771
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
you can do things like pre-heating, and using argon with helium added to gain the extra heat you need to make the weld. overall, you should be fine.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #5772
Jamison182
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Jamison182 will become famous soon enoughJamison182 will become famous soon enoughJamison182 will become famous soon enoughJamison182 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Finally making progress on my daily, and still need to do the stitching on the gussets...But ran out of sheet metal last week...

Last edited by Jamison182; 02-06-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Jamison182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #5773
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

MyblackS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jamison, those dimple die gusset plates look awesome! Are you a fabricator professionally? That looks like a pretty wild daily.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #5774
Jamison182
Zilvia Member

Jamison182 will become famous soon enoughJamison182 will become famous soon enoughJamison182 will become famous soon enoughJamison182 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblackS13 View Post
Jamison, those dimple die gusset plates look awesome! Are you a fabricator professionally? That looks like a pretty wild daily.
Thanks dude. Cant wait to put some paint on it.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #5775
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS

UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #5776
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
goddamnit I love me some dimple dye gussets.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #5777
bahlorm
Leaky Injector

bahlorm is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm just starting to get into fabricating myself. And my test dummy happened to be an s13 that I cut up. My original plan was going to be to ditch the body and build a full tube chassis around the suspension and drivetrain, but I was convinced to keep the lower half of the shell and the firewall to make it easier to tag. Right now my only concern is since I cut the roof before installing the main hoop, it ended up a little tall lol. After I get seats and such, I'll then decide whether or not to cut it down a bit.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
bahlorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #5778
b00stinbmx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
b00stinbmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
in the process of making a single throtle body intake manifold for my RB26, a friend is CNC'd the flage for me to bolt to the stock manifold/fuel injector part. and i will be doing the rest using my syncrowave 210 and basic tools to try and make it as neat as possible. This is basically my first real project with fab work so hopefully it will turn out all right. all i have done in the past is simple things like catch cans and exhausts. i get the velocity stacks from excessive and going to go with a Q45 TB. once its all done i'll post a few more pics of the entire setup. its a fully built RB26 with 6466 and cd009 trans in a 97 kouki. just shooting for a nice 600whp on 93 to have some fun with, no real reason to go single TB besides giving myself a project. already have DOC race exhaust manifold and i figured doing the intake on myself would be a little easier, maybe someday i will make my own turbo manifold but it scares me haha.
b00stinbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #5779
b00stinbmx
Zilvia Member

about halfway thought with the catch can, just a simple 4' can with -12 fittings and a K&n breather, might add a -6 to the turbo intake to pull some vaccum as well
Old 03-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #5780
b00stinbmx
Zilvia Member

where im at right now, still learning alot. things i could have done better but i still think its going to work out ok, and if it doesn't ill try it again!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #5781
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice man! keep going
Old 03-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #5782
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

looks good man, be nice to see a comparison vs stock ITB manifold.. never seen an intake manifold comparison on an RB engine...

I want your turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #5783
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
maybe if b00stinbmx finishes that goddamn intake manifold we can get the damn car on the road this year. party time buddy
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #5784
jubee
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
jubee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
so for all you fab guys got a question, looking at buying a tig welder but just wanna grab something for a beginner can you guys give me and recommendations?
jubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #5785
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS

UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #5786
g2ic02
Zilvia Junkie

g2ic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to g2ic02 Send a message via MSN to g2ic02
Can someone help me out? I am tig welding my base plates (rear strut towers). When I get near any seams in the sheet metal, the weld pool blows up/spits onto my tungsten. The sheet metal is clean, my base plate (.090") is clean(acetone, wire wheel, flap disc). My welder specs ahp 80 amps, 3/32 e3 tungsten, #6 cup, 18-20 psi @ regulator. I am attaching ground clamp to a vise grip clamped to base plate. I can weld scrap out of the car with no issue (so I am assuming my settings/gas are fine). Thank you
g2ic02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #5787
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Its spitting gasses/material from the seam sealer boiling off. Burn the shit out of the seams with a blow torch first, then go back and clean them with a wire wheel again.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #5788
g2ic02
Zilvia Junkie

g2ic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to g2ic02 Send a message via MSN to g2ic02
Awesome I will give it a try. Thank you for the fast response
g2ic02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #5789
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Anyone have any tips for mig welding metal that is one panel bond? Talk about the most difficult to weld in my opinion. Makes me wonder if there is even a difference grinding the paint off or not. The worst looking mig welds I have done for sure.

but if anyone has any tips, would be great. Yes, grinded down to the bare metal. The panel bond is what holds the thin metal sheet on besides the pinch welds so removing it is... not an reasonable option.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #5790
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I will be tackling some rust repairs that will include welding on my car soon and I was reading this thread as motivation:
http://forum.eastwood.com/showthread...ration-project

One simple question I have is what do you guys use to cut such intricate pieces out of the body panels? What tools in particular? Is is a combination of cut off wheels and sawzall?

Also how do you find most spot welds to drill them out? Sure some are obvious on good clean metal but when rust gets in there it get's blurry. Do you just get most then chisel the rest out?
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote