Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
sirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When a brake pad job goes bad... help please!

This part is frozen on my 240's rear brakes. I dont know what its called, or where I can get a new one (or if I can fix this one). Not trying to buy a whole new caliper if i can avoid it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm doing these brakes outside, and its snowing!

sirfallsalot243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Not sure exactly what you mean by "frozen", but... Pull the pins out and grease them. It'll help if you mean what I think you mean.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

sirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enoughsirfallsalot243 will become famous soon enough
The pins are frozen in there. I can barely spin them with a box end wrench, much less remove them. Not sure how I should go about trying to free them... I have an acetylene torch and a Mapp torch... not sure if heating them would be the way to go though.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Don't heat it. Use a pair of vise grips and a hammer to knock it out. Make sure you rotate it when it moves just to keep it from freezing even worse. There is a rubber grommet on one of the pins and if you heat it it may melt the rubber. Use some WD40 to lube it when you are removing it too. After it is out use a wire bottle brush and some wd40 to scrub inside the bore. Then use a wire brush and some more WD40 to scrub the pin. Clean it all up with some brake cleaner and use white lithium grease to lube it all back up. If one is frozen you should do this to the pins on at least the rear calipers and check the fronts too. You CANNOT buy the caliper bracket separate from the caliper.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
noname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Try putting the bracket in a vice and spray some PB blaster around the pins. Use vice grips on the pins to twist/pull them out. Grease them up and put them back in.
noname7198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname7198 View Post
Try putting the bracket in a vice and spray some PB blaster around the pins. Use vice grips on the pins to twist/pull them out. Grease them up and put them back in.
Will do, thanks! I tried doing this with WD40, but Ive been thinking PB would do the trick. I cant seem to find mine... might just have to go buy some.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
PB would work better than WD...
I had the same problem in May on my fronts.. I wound up taking it to a machine shop and giving him 10 bucks to get it out, and replaced all the pins.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
sirfallsalot243
BANNED

Got em out! Vise grip and PB method did the trick! Thanks a lot guys!!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I was gonna say some penitrating oil would do the job lol, but you got em out
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
0wn3r
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nice sig ceepo
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 AM   #11
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I had the same problem with one of my rears. The pin wouldn't come out even when placed in a vice. I just tried to source another one on the auctions. best of luck
MisawaJason is offline   Reply With Quote