Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (68)
speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedfiend
Oil Dipstick w/ Top Mount SR20

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys are doing about your oil dipstick when going top mount turbo on your sr20? In order to clear the manifold I had to kind of bend mine out and around the front side of the manifold. It works for the most part but it is a serious PITA to get the dipstick in and out of the tube. Plus, it is basically sitting up against my intake tube. FYI this is an s14 sr in an s14 with a hybrid dynamics top mount mani and 4 inch intake tube.

Was wondering if there is an aftermarket shorty tube you guys might be converting to. Or, maybe modifying the stock tube in some way. Let me know what you guys are doing so I can get some ideas on how to remedy this before I take the car in for a tune and start beating on it lol!
Thanx, Cameron
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just bent mine to fit and dealt with the issues, but I'm sure if you wanted to go to a short style the air-cooled VW sticks are only about 8" long and could be made to fit
Old 09-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Do bend an different spot in engine bay! It's only metal!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Lokar makes flexible dipsticks, might be able to make one of those work
Old 09-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
justinbyrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just removed mine, put it in a brake and fuel line tubing bender I modified to work with the bigger tube and gave it 2 bends, one at the bottom on at the top haven't had an issue with it
justinbyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Thanx for the ideas guys.

I have mine bent now and it is functional for the most part. Its just a PITA to get the dipstick to go back in once you pull it out. Plus its just kinda sticking up and rubbing on my intake tube.

Im gonna check the size of a 350 chevy dipstick tube and see if it is similar in od to the sr20 one. If so then Ill prolly just buy a generic tube from summitt or somewhere and modify the dipstick to read the proper levels.
Cameron
Old 09-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbyrant View Post
...put it in a brake and fuel line tubing bender...
Such a great tool! Used it to delete the clutch damper, the line turned out perfect.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I did as you but bent mine to alleviate any binding that had occurred. Mine is clear of my intake tube by about .125". There is still a bit of binding but my Xterra dipstick has the same issue and its factory.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Sr20-Vert
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Sr20-Vert is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any one ever figure out a solution my stick gets super stuck this is third tube I tried hehe
Sr20-Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #10
Calver
BANNED

Calver is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried any generic tube like from Summit?
Calver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

I ended up using an oem dipstick tube from my buddies 302 ford. The tube itself is a perfect fit and curves toward the front of the motor for very easy access. The dipstick itself I cut down and referenced off the oem sr20 dipstick for low and full lines and rescribed them. Hope this helps.
Cameron
Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #12
Calver
BANNED

Calver is an unknown quantity at this point
Good tips, Cameron. This is a good future reference.
Calver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:32 AM   #13
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
StuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfiend View Post
I ended up using an oem dipstick tube from my buddies 302 ford. The tube itself is a perfect fit and curves toward the front of the motor for very easy access. The dipstick itself I cut down and referenced off the oem sr20 dipstick for low and full lines and rescribed them. Hope this helps.
Cameron
Realize this thread is a few months old, but did you retain A/C and have to clear the compressor? That's currently the issue I'm having with my topmount KA24DE manifold.

Would you mind shooting me a picture of the dipstick tube placement on your engine if it's not too much of a hassle?

Thanks,
Matt
StuckeyOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #14
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyOG View Post
Realize this thread is a few months old, but did you retain A/C and have to clear the compressor? That's currently the issue I'm having with my topmount KA24DE manifold.

Would you mind shooting me a picture of the dipstick tube placement on your engine if it's not too much of a hassle?

Thanks,
Matt
maybe this will help. I dont have AC, but I have my PS pump in AC comp location.

OEM SR tube, bent a little and mounting tab moved/re welded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_6972.jpg (239.7 KB, 24 views)