Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
Ljensen11
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Ljensen11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Slight grind into 2nd gear s14

So I bought this 240 and when I took it on the test drive it would grind a little when I put it into 2nd but then when I drove it home it would stop grinding and it only grinds when you upshift not when down shifting I was wonder if it was a synchro going out or just lack of oil in the system

Last edited by Ljensen11; 01-09-2014 at 03:07 AM..
Ljensen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
boneout

Trader Rating: (0)
boneout is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it a grind like ur not compressing the clutch in all the way or like clicking? Have you tried driving pressing the clutch in and down shifting into 1st without letting the clutch out?
boneout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
boneout

If its more like clicking or tapping u could be low on gear oil but if its like a grind like you missed a gear it is most likly a sincro which is the usual when u buy 240sx that have been drifted before lol and it would be when you up shift and not when u down shift because its the sincro between 2 and 3 gear not 1 and 2. Either way used transmissions are pretty cheap and u can just find a new one easy
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #4
rwtf
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
rwtf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would replace the oil , I had a sr hatch that would not go into first with easy, you had to SLAM that shit to go into gear, I changed the fluid and it shifted like butter.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
crunkride
Zilvia Member

crunkride is an unknown quantity at this point
It's likely a syncro - these trannies are notorious for it. The syncro itself is very expensive to replace. Replacement transmissions are cheap, but you are gambling this problem on every one you buy. In my experience, just get the new syncros. As rwtf said, oil can help a bad syncro...depending on your climate/driving style, read up on some of the trans fluid threads that would best suit your application. Don't get something too thin (some of the redline synthetics) that will cause the syncro to keep spinning. Something thick enough to slow it down when shifting...

research proper fluid>replace fluid>problem still there? Y=time for a new syncro N=golden!
crunkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Have you bothered CHECKING the fluid level?
My suggestion would be drain and refill with redline mt90.
If that doesn't improve or solve the problem then You can start planning a rebuild or replacement.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
boneout

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Have you bothered CHECKING the fluid level?
My suggestion would be drain and refill with redline mt90.
If that doesn't improve or solve the problem then You can start planning a rebuild or replacement.
Agreed start by changing your fluids if u havnt done that and a full tune up when new got the car if it still grinds or gets worse plan to replace.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
unreal-
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
unreal- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Mine does it all the time when the oil is cold , regardless of trans oil. If i shift too fast it does it for sure. Have to either shift slower until trans warms up, or double clutch the 1-2 shift. Once its warm i can shift as fast as i want (not honda civic fast, but close)

Do you also have the 2-3 grind? that one is popular with these transmissions as well.
unreal- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
welcome to owning a 240. KA/SR/RB/CA RWD trannies are notoriously bad at losing synchros between gears.

step 1) change gear oil with fresh gear oil. doesnt hurt to run higher grade/viscosity stuff like redline or royal purple, especially due to age!

step 2) if a gear oil change doesnt help, it may be time to inspect the clutch

step 3) if clutch is good condition, its the tranny. replacing the synchros requires the entire gear assembly to be taken apart. this is costly, but if you have the money its worth doing as you can have the entire tranny rebuilt (including all new gear synchros) if needed!

step 4) more of a suggestion really... GET USE TO IT! the 3 KAs and the 2 SRs ive owned thru my 13 years of building these nissan made shitboxes have all had tranny synchro issues! KA/SR/CA/RB rwd transmissions are pretty much all the same. some gears are slightly longer or shorter than others depending on the engine they were mated to, but the basic internals (synchros included) are all the same. due to the age of the car, i personally recommend running a thicker gear oil to keep everything nice n lubricated. i live in vegas where it gets to be 200 degrees in the shade during the summer so the thicker gear oil (and engine oil) helps to make sure the internals have ample lubrication! especially that or shitboxes are 20+ years old now.

so in other words, do some general maintenance. if that doesnt work, just get use to it. your tranny isnt going to explode. if you cant get use to it, you shouldnt be driving a 20 year old car!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Ka-t in progress
Leaky Injector

Ka-t in progress is an unknown quantity at this point
Try rev matching when you shift. Also like others said, I recommend mt-90.
Ka-t in progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
aymaeid
Zilvia Junkie

aymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-known
any driver can live without one of the first two gears. your lucky its the second, just skip it. i would personally just get used to it if royal purple doesnt help.
aymaeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #12
Ljensen11
Leaky Injector

Lol thanks for all the help it's my 3rd 240 lol seems like there is always going to be something I will change the fluid and to fill it you just take off the whole shifter assembly out and just pour it in the hole right lol
Old 01-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
Chrisk0

Chrisk0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljensen11 View Post
Lol thanks for all the help it's my 3rd 240 lol seems like there is always going to be something I will change the fluid and to fill it you just take off the whole shifter assembly out and just pour it in the hole right lol
Yeah, you can unbolt those four screws where the shifter is, take all that out and just fill it in the hole. Beats getting under the car to do it.
Chrisk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
Ljensen11
Leaky Injector

How many quarts I think I'm gonna pick up some redline mt90 and see if that works hopefully it will
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
Ljensen11
Leaky Injector

And would that be under gear oil or tranny oil lol first time I have had to do it
Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #16
Chrisk0

Chrisk0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljensen11 View Post
And would that be under gear oil or tranny oil lol first time I have had to do it
That's for your tranny oil. I use royal purple but redline should be good, as far as how many quarts, I have no clue. I don't remember xD
Chrisk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #17
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Get AMSOIL MT-Lube

You need atleast 3 quarts IIRC...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #18
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Again I recommend redline mt90. Google it but I think it takes 3.5 quarts.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #19
kouki_mobster

kouki_mobster is an unknown quantity at this point
KA trans take 2.5 quarts. I also recommend red line MT-90 fluid. I currently have AMS OIL GL-4 gear fluid and hate it. Had red line before and the shifts were smoother. Planning to switch back real soon.
kouki_mobster is offline   Reply With Quote