Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #1141
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Hey Hongster, I run 10/8 right now, but it really depends on what tire size / grip level. Its all a balance, without correct grip level and balance, higher spring rate will actually decrease your grip.

I think rebuilding your coils if leaking and looking at sway bars and tire size will give more value than upgrading spring rates at this point. Just my .02. Running stiffer settings on your coils can compensate a little for spring rate.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 AM   #1142
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man you guys are stiff. I'm using 6/4.5 on a 200 tire, I can't imagine going back to 12/10 unless I had serious aero and rubber.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #1143
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuego View Post
Man you guys are stiff. I'm using 6/4.5 on a 200 tire, I can't imagine going back to 12/10 unless I had serious aero and rubber.
It also depends on track as well

I am 10/8 with a medium spoiler and a 3" splitter.... Running 255/265 RE01R or Starspecs.

I think hongster is 255s and a Kognition Spoiler and no splitter....

But like said California has a lot of long sweeper tracks with a lot of speed and crappy surfaces...
Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #1144
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaUcEy View Post
So you were running 17x9.5 +35 before with the 255 on the stock fender? Or the +15 and it took some serious rolling to make it work?
If you mean me, my wheels are 17x9.5 +17 with a 255/40. It fit, but barely on stock fenders. It rubbed a bit, even with a giant pull.

A lot of it depends on your coilovers. Even my current set up touches the springs a bit when the tire deflects.
CaptainVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #1145
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
It also depends on track as well

I am 10/8 with a medium spoiler and a 3" splitter.... Running 255/265 RE01R or Starspecs.

I think hongster is 255s and a Kognition Spoiler and no splitter....

But like said California has a lot of long sweeper tracks with a lot of speed and crappy surfaces...

I'm 245 RS3 cause I didnt find that 255 was needed. Plus it rubbed. Looking at my tires I think im running a bit too much camber cause there's no contact on the outside.

Idk when but when I get the funds I'll rebuild my coils then get another alignment and probably should make a splitter.
BW got repaved... and there the new track chuckwalla so surfaces at those tracks should be good.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #1146
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (27)
tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
I'm 245 RS3 cause I didnt find that 255 was needed. Plus it rubbed. Looking at my tires I think im running a bit too much camber cause there's no contact on the outside.

Idk when but when I get the funds I'll rebuild my coils then get another alignment and probably should make a splitter.
BW got repaved... and there the new track chuckwalla so surfaces at those tracks should be good.
What tire pressure are you running?
How much camber?
From my experience, RS-3's worked better with lower pressure.

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #1147
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Anyone ever use KDW's? Just bought some for fronts. Wondering if they grip well and how much heat they can handle.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #1148
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Anyone ever use KDW's? Just bought some for fronts. Wondering if they grip well and how much heat they can handle.
Never could find them in the sizes I wanted. I know domestic guys love them for straight lines.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #1149
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuego View Post
Never could find them in the sizes I wanted. I know domestic guys love them for straight lines.
do they do anything other than that?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #1150
slider2828
Post Whore!

OBEEWON...

I had a friend running KDW's on his supra at 550HP.... good in the rain, but terrible grip compared to RE01 or RE55 or SO3

I think they had 2 compounds?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #1151
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Ugh. I'm sad to hear that. I was about to get RE01's but found a great deal on KDW's. I'll have to buy a pair of RE01's later for fronts. I need something sticky enought to keep up with my brakes. Last year I had Pilot Sports and they were great for HPDE but the tread wear stank.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #1152
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Ugh. I'm sad to hear that. I was about to get RE01's but found a great deal on KDW's. I'll have to buy a pair of RE01's later for fronts. I need something sticky enought to keep up with my brakes. Last year I had Pilot Sports and they were great for HPDE but the tread wear stank.
Don't expect much from these tires.
The most credit I'd give to these are daily with spirited driving summer tires.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #1153
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougefactory View Post
What tire pressure are you running?
How much camber?
From my experience, RS-3's worked better with lower pressure.
30psi cold. Never checked when hot yet. (will check next event)

-3 front
-2 rear (want to go -1.5 next alignment)
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #1154
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

-3 front
9k / 6k sounds like a good neurtal setup.
are you experiencing any understeer with this setup at all?

Yeah, I think you should try dialing out some camber if you're not using all of the tire.
30psi cold is a good starting point too.
I usually start with 28psi front and 30psi rear cold on the RS-3's.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #1155
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:

Yeah, I think you should try dialing out some camber if you're not using all of the tire.
Hmmm, when I bought the coils they had swifts with those ratings, I thought it was a drifting spring set up.
In the rear im not using all the tire, like an inch off the outside.

I went with 30psi cold cause it felt good, I believe I had it at a lower one before and felt like I was driving on the sidewall. So I just kept at 30.

I believe I feel understeer, but could be a lot of things. I'm running a GT wing without a front splitter. My roll center isn't corrected either.
Or could be I'm not good at driving lol.
I'm completely clueless when it comes to suspension set up etc.
Hell I'm racing with blown suspension without knowing it until I was braking hard in a straight line and my car was hopping.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #1156
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
anyone experiment with full underbody tray?

Was reading some on turbomiata about stuff but I've yet to find much regarding a 240 and a full body tray, was looking for ideas on ducting for trans tunnel/diff and whatnot
Old 02-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #1157
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Hmmm, when I bought the coils they had swifts with those ratings, I thought it was a drifting spring set up.
In the rear im not using all the tire, like an inch off the outside.

I went with 30psi cold cause it felt good, I believe I had it at a lower one before and felt like I was driving on the sidewall. So I just kept at 30.

I believe I feel understeer, but could be a lot of things. I'm running a GT wing without a front splitter. My roll center isn't corrected either.
Or could be I'm not good at driving lol.
I'm completely clueless when it comes to suspension set up etc.
Hell I'm racing with blown suspension without knowing it until I was braking hard in a straight line and my car was hopping.
Well, the blown coilover would have a lot to do with your car driving funny.
Yea, with that setup and a big wing in the back, little understeer isn't a surprise.
As you said, I would get the coilover fixed first.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #1158
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
anyone experiment with full underbody tray?

Was reading some on turbomiata about stuff but I've yet to find much regarding a 240 and a full body tray, was looking for ideas on ducting for trans tunnel/diff and whatnot
You would be better off with a proper front splitter and rear wing mounted in unturbulant air (as in, added the mentioned components would be much easier to devise and get results from on a fairly "regular" budget).

Not saying it can't be done, but there is a little more to it than just having the underside of the body being entirely flat.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #1159
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
You would be better off with a proper front splitter and rear wing mounted in unturbulant air (as in, added the mentioned components would be much easier to devise and get results from on a fairly "regular" budget).

Not saying it can't be done, but there is a little more to it than just having the underside of the body being entirely flat.
yeah I've been reading about wings and all that

I don't really want a GT wing, being that I'm looking to set up my car with street aesthetic. So I was thinking of, at most, modifying a 180sx kouki wing to have a kinda gurney flap thing to provide downforce. However i've yet to test to see if it is outside of the air flow.

I didn't plan on just mounting a flat panel to the underside of the car, I want to route some into a diffuser behind the car, maybe even go as far as venting my exhaust into this. given it doesn't get too big

I was also looking to vent the air in the engine bay up into the low pressure area on top of the hood, and sealing the engine bay with an undertray

Of course this is all theory, but I'd like to hear some opinions on all this
Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #1160
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
yeah I've been reading about wings and all that

I don't really want a GT wing, being that I'm looking to set up my car with street aesthetic. So I was thinking of, at most, modifying a 180sx kouki wing to have a kinda gurney flap thing to provide downforce. However i've yet to test to see if it is outside of the air flow.

I didn't plan on just mounting a flat panel to the underside of the car, I want to route some into a diffuser behind the car, maybe even go as far as venting my exhaust into this. given it doesn't get too big

I was also looking to vent the air in the engine bay up into the low pressure area on top of the hood, and sealing the engine bay with an undertray

Of course this is all theory, but I'd like to hear some opinions on all this

like dis?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #1161
chiboy002
Post Whore!

^yoooo!!! thats kinda what I was thinking

the gurney flap on that one is massive but yeah something along those lines actually

anymore info on the owner?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #1162
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
^yoooo!!! thats kinda what I was thinking

the gurney flap on that one is massive but yeah something along those lines actually

anymore info on the owner?
It's not a stock wing, but he knows what brand it is, last time he was selling that wing also.
Theres other post I've seen that people modified the stock one

http://zilvia.net/f/member.php?u=12637

and his IG

http://instagram.com/something_offensive
Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 PM   #1163
slider2828
Post Whore!

Those rear undertray stuff is stupid. Doesn't go far forward enough to make a difference. Only a full under body can really use a rear diffuser....

Gurney flaps you can just rivet with a clear piece of lexan. It doesn't even have to stick up too much say 2" or so....

Front splitter just needs to go back to the front subframe and just open and rivet something ontop of the hood. It doesn't have to be completely sealed.....
Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #1164
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:

-3 front
That's too much rear camber. Our cars gain a crapton of negative camber in the rear under compression. I would say 1 degree is the most that would be necessary. If I ever get back to doing trackdays regularly I plan on experimenting with exactly how little camber you can run in the rear. I'll just bring my infa-red thermometer with me to monitor tire temps across the tire. I would bet that you would have to go into positive camber before you started overheating the shoulder.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #1165
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
That's too much rear camber. Our cars gain a crapton of negative camber in the rear under compression. I would say 1 degree is the most that would be necessary. If I ever get back to doing trackdays regularly I plan on experimenting with exactly how little camber you can run in the rear. I'll just bring my infa-red thermometer with me to monitor tire temps across the tire. I would bet that you would have to go into positive camber before you started overheating the shoulder.

At 32psi (255/40 on a 17x10) I was seeing slight roll on the shoulder using chalk. I eyeballed my alignment for the last and this upcoming weekend's autocross, but I'm definitely not 0 or positive in my rear camber. That and I'm at a softer springrate than Hongster. Granted, I'm far from overheating the shoulder at our temps but numbers are numbers.

I know that's a mess of nearly useless information, sorry.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #1166
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Those rear undertray stuff is stupid. Doesn't go far forward enough to make a difference. Only a full under body can really use a rear diffuser....

Gurney flaps you can just rivet with a clear piece of lexan. It doesn't even have to stick up too much say 2" or so....

Front splitter just needs to go back to the front subframe and just open and rivet something ontop of the hood. It doesn't have to be completely sealed.....
yeah im going to try and do an alumilite flat underbody with naca ducts for the trans tunnel and maybe a small one for exhaust. just to get air moving.

the rear "diffuser" would be small as hell cause personally i hate the look. just something to kinda kick the air up at the end, and have a vent for the naca ducts to go to, in the middle under the plate

i would have a splitter with like 2" protruding up front, max, don't really want it to stick out though, but idk
Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #1167
Sleepy_Steve
Zilvia Member

Sleepy_Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I gotta agree with this, I think i was starting my car at 28ish and then bleeding off any extra air to get them down to about 32psi hot, maybe 34 hot on colder days.

I might have gone lower than that, but my notebook of notes got left out in the rain at one event, and now have no records. Going to update google drive for 2015.

Car would drive like crap at first, then it would do alright once temps and pressures came in. Dropped like 4 seconds a lap dicking around with how low I could make the tire pressure work.

225 RS3's all around, 7k/6k springs and just the stock front sway bar.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #1168
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
do you guys measure tire temps with radiant heat thermometers?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #1169
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
do you guys measure tire temps with radiant heat thermometers?
Won't be accurate.
The surface of the tires cools down pretty rapidly.
The core stays hot for a bit longer, but need a pyrometer for that to get accurate readings.

get one of these. You can use the IR function to measure brakes and other stuff, and use the probe for tires.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #1170
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
The point of measuring tire temps isn't to get a 100% accurate reading, it's simply for comparison to judge the alignment settings on the car. As long as whatever you're measuring temps with is consistent who really cares if it's off 20 degrees? While the Longacre setup is nice I wouldn't bother personally. I would just use my Matco infa-red thermometer.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote