Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #31
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek
id hope the hat area is sitting againts the hubs or thats some nasty flemingo action..

I say screw the wilwood brakes, tahts extra crap to put in the conversion, *not to mention added weight and lines* just put a hydrolic ebrake level that connects to the rear brake lines.

So what brake master cylinder are you going to swap? Id asume u where going to change that too... I wonder how bad the brake bias will be...

haha, yeah the rotor is flat aainst the hub and held there with a lugnut for the shot, and yeah I did think about a hydro Ebrake, my buddy has the Arizona kit pictured above on his 72 240Z, but Im going to try to get the an internal one to work first, we'll see, just begining this and I'll add more as I work it out. Probably just use a Z32 MC/Booster, they work just fine
Krinkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #32
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
awesome job man, not only will they stop well but they will look awesome.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #33
scir16v
Zilvia Member

scir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of light
Would you be able to use the z32 ebrake setup with the evo rotors?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #34
Supreme
Leaky Injector

Supreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov
well they are very close but there are slight differences,
EVO rotors
Front = 320mm
Rear = 300mm

STI
Front = 326mm
Rear = 316mm

another interesting note is that the EVO front rotors are 32mm wide whereas the STI fronts are 30mm wide. They use the same Brembo caliper but the EVO actually uses 1mm skinnier brake pads! so you can use EVO pads on STI and just be short a bit of pad life(Ive dont this on my STI) but you cant use STI pads on an EVO unless you turn the rotors down 2mm. Some companies, Like EBC, only make one part number for EVO and STI pads and just cheat STI guys out of 1mm on each pad, lol.

One other difference in the fronts, besides the diameter, is the hat height(offset) the STI(53mm) is almost identical to the 300ZX(54mm) whereas the EVO is 43.5mm. Since Im designing custom brackets anyways, I can make them to whatever offseet they need to be to fit, though all things being equal, the EVO rotors will move the Brembo caliper about 10mm closer to the wheel than the STI or Z32 rotors, so that could be a clearance problem depending on what wheel your running, the best combo might be EVO rear rotors and 05+ STI(%X114) front calipers to keep the offset as close to stock as possible, and they're 6mm bigger to boot!
HAHAHA bastards, great information! Short of pad life indeed, although minimal. I know of some companies that work in the opposite
Old 11-03-2005, 12:53 AM   #35
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scir16v
Would you be able to use the z32 ebrake setup with the evo rotors?
yeah Im trying to figur ethat out, if they dont work with the EVO drum diameter, hopefully it can be sized correctly with a different set of E-brake shoes, if anyone in the bay area has a 300zx rear swap or a 300zx and wants a lunch so i can check it out shoot me a PM!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #36
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

haha, tits! just did some reserch online and it looks like the 300ZX uses the SAME size E-brake Drum as the EVO (172mm) so it looks like these should work just fine with Z32 E brakes!

someone with a 300zx rears meet up with me so I can confirm this!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #37
veilside180sx
Zilvia Junkie

veilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to all
I'll do this in a heart beat if it works out with the Z33 adapter for the Z32 caliper up front. Would work nicely I think.
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #38
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside180sx
I'll do this in a heart beat if it works out with the Z33 adapter for the Z32 caliper up front. Would work nicely I think.
whats this adapter? got a link?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #39
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
http://www.splparts.com/Parts/S13/Br...es/default.asp

sentinelguild.com/nzo/PFCDB/
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #40
anthony240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
anthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anthony240
sorry if this has been covered, but if you do go with a separate caliper ebrake, where will you mount it? just curious cause i've been thinking about that setup.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #41
.::SR20_240::.
BANNED

.::SR20_240::. is on the path to ruin.::SR20_240::. is on the path to ruin
Send a message via AIM to .::SR20_240::.
cool idea, keep us posted...
.::SR20_240::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 AM   #42
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony240
sorry if this has been covered, but if you do go with a separate caliper ebrake, where will you mount it? just curious cause i've been thinking about that setup.
I have not even looked into that, but at this point it looks like the 300ZX Ebrake should likely work with these rotors, so I will try that out first.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 AM   #43
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside180sx
looks like that only moves a Z32 caliper further out to use a Z33 rotor, what we need is a bracket that adapts from a Z32 caliper to a Z33 caliper, though its really not that hard to make a CAD program for one, pretty simple piece
Old 11-04-2005, 01:00 AM   #44
scir16v
Zilvia Member

scir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of light
I think z33 calipers can bolt on, there is a guy running them on his s14.

Search, I'm sure it's been posted on here. I think dousan knows him.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #45
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...e#Post67829059

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...e#Post67836239

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...vc=1&PHPSESSID =

http://home.comcast.net/~nzo/GTR_bra...TR_bracket.pdf

sentinelguild.com/nzo/PFCDB/
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #46
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

haha, awesome! looks like the 350Z/G35 fronts fit by opening up the bolt hoes a bit

Now the only prob is finding those brakes, they're not quite as common as the EVO/STIs, also they are the smaller Brembo so Im not sure how well they would ballance with the rears. Though if I could find them for the same price that I see the EVO/STIs I would run those instead!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #47
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
Jeremy, you're popping all over the place. i figured you'd show up here, lol.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #48
mmtmatrix
Leaky Injector

mmtmatrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Any idea how they compare in size (front and rear, especially rear since you have already done them) to the Z32? How do the evo/sti compare to 350/g35 I wonder how much bigger than the Zs they are...

they do look good...

keep us up to date on the z32 ebrake set up...

thanks,
mmtmatrix
mmtmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #49
Al_S14
BANNED

Al_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Al_S14 Send a message via MSN to Al_S14
hey Krinkov. i just noticed that caliper has bleeder screw at teh bottom. one thats pictured is on driver side and if you put it on pass then bleeder will be facing up and it should bleed hella better.
Al_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #50
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
interesting and informative post. faq?

just wondering, what kind of rear ebrake setup do sti/evo use? drum setup like z32? not integrated disc setup like stock 240sx since you would have hooked those up right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #51
phrozen
Zilvia FREAK!

phrozen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to phrozen

Please do not put your sig pic back if it exceeds this.
-Moderation

Last edited by phrozen; 11-05-2005 at 01:01 AM..
phrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #52
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_S14
hey Krinkov. i just noticed that caliper has bleeder screw at teh bottom. one thats pictured is on driver side and if you put it on pass then bleeder will be facing up and it should bleed hella better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov
haha, these are just a mock up, only had the one caliper handy today but yes I have the right ones for the right sides, no point in running big rear brakes and stock front brakes untill I get the fronts installed

Keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #53
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZK
Jeremy, you're popping all over the place. i figured you'd show up here, lol.
hey bro! Yeah haha, and my plan was to keep this one (mostly) stock lol!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #54
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

heres the front comparison,

pinter stock discs :ghey:

hairy chested EVO Brembos

and just for shnitz and giggles, heres a Cobra 13" rotor, right bolt pattern but doesnt center perfectly on the hub and studs like the EVO rotor, guess I'll have to do with 'only' 320mm EVO rotors

heres the side by side

these are REALLY big

Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 PM   #55
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot
interesting and informative post. faq?

just wondering, what kind of rear ebrake setup do sti/evo use? drum setup like z32? not integrated disc setup like stock 240sx since you would have hooked those up right?
EVO and STIs both use 'drum in disc' E-brakes like the 300ZX, and the EVO usese the same size inner drum as the 300ZX so it looks like the most practical E-brake would be to just use the 300ZX ones with the EVO rotors.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:14 AM   #56
richardxfeng
Zilvia Addict

richardxfeng is on a distinguished road
Actually I am more interested on the front.Can't wait to see more pictures.Keep the good work going!!
richardxfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #57
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardxfeng
Actually I am more interested on the front.Can't wait to see more pictures.Keep the good work going!!
Will do!

Little update:

Looks like rear EVO Brembo calipers DO NOT fit onto the rear hubs like the STI Brembos do. The Rear EVO Brembo bolt spacing looks to be about 1/2" too wide, so if you keeping an eye out pick up the STI rear, though you will still need the EVO rear rotors. As for fronts, EVO and STIs are supposedly identical, in any case, I should have a set of STI Brembos off my car other car to play with this weekend
Old 11-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #58
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Okay UPDATE!!

Man this swap just keeps getting easier!

Picked up another set of STI Brembos yesterday, and it looks like our best route will be to use the EVO front rotors instead of the 05+ STIs(5X114) the STIs use a smaller center hub opening that wont fit whereas the EVO is spot on, so we'll stick with plan A. Heres what the EVO rotors look like with the STI Brembos, oooooooooohh!

Brembo F50 calipers are truely MASSIVE, much larger that what in hand than what you can see of the sides of them poking through the spokes of a wheel.

Now about the easy (*fairly*) easy part I mentioned, looks like the brackets are going to be simple to fab up, matter of fact thay can be made yourself if you have a quality drill press and drill vise, no machining necisary! Most big brake kits have brackets shaped like kind of like an "S" since the new caliper and has be moved up and backward(inwards) to bolt to the stock caliper volt holes. In our case with these Brembos and EVO rotors, the Brembos sit a good .6" outwards ofthe stock bolt hols, on top of that, the stock bolt spacing(4") and the brembo bolt spacing(6") are far enough apart that we can make the bracket on a single-plane bracket, instead of a dual-plane bracket which requires much more design and machining, see here

heres a quickie MS paint diagram of what the single-plane bracket will look like, not to scale obviously but the measurements are correct, Im going to fab one out of aluminum tonite to get everything where I want it then I will make mine out of mild steel. I know alot of the brake companies use 6061 AL with no probs but mild steel gives you that much more insurance, and its not that much harder to work with. Okay I'll post mor eas it progresses!

Old 11-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #59
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
I love it when a neighbor totals an STi and lets me have a grab bag on his car, hehe

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #60
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideview_180sx
I love it when a neighbor totals an STi and lets me have a grab bag on his car, hehe

haha, yeah grab those Brembos! And if you need a set of EVO rotors let me know!