Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 AM   #91
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ctnewman
Pretty simple yet a bit time consuming.

Yesterday I wire wheeled and sanded the driver's side floor pan making sure to get all of the rust off. Most of it was actually just rust dust from a few problem spots:

Then, using some 16GA plates, I tacked the plates over the rust from the inside:

Next, I will fill in the seams with seam sealant and then paint the floorpan with rust inhibiting paint. This is a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
ctnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #92
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This build is turning into one of my favorite threads on here. Keep the updates coming!
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #93
onesicklambo
Leaky Injector

onesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant futureonesicklambo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewman
hahaha, youtube search these words: "adventure time"

make sure you watch to the end...
HAHAHA okay princess bubblegum what ever floats your boat. But seriously that crap scares me and dont see how its legal to be aired on national Television. WTF X1000000
onesicklambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #94
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice, nice. That's a shitload of fab work. Good job.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #95
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
not a lot to report, just ground out some more rust. I'll probably be doing that today and tomorrow, don't expect a lot before then...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #96
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

yesterday, tonight, and tomorrow all look like they will be spent grinding rust and welding. Not a lot to report on that front.

However...

2 sets one for mockup/jig one for the final product.

1/4 Mild steel

1/2" 304SS

Compliments of Derrick Corporation. Holla.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #97
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Ok, here's some body shots...

Before:

After:

A few blow holes, nothing that won't be taken care of with seam sealer, but all in all a good solid repair.

The last shot is a good comparison for everyone who thinks the shell is beat... See the rust at the bottom? That's one day of surface rust on 100% new metal... The camera REALLY makes it apparent... It's almost invisible to the naked eye... Same goes for a lot of the "rust" on the car...
Old 02-04-2007, 07:37 AM   #98
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
You should really hit it down with some rustoleum primer so it doesn't start rusting like that.

Nice work though, I'm gonna have to fix the floors in my 240 up (although they are not as bad) and this gave me a good idea of how to go about it. Just a quick question... did you make the replacement sheet of metal fit INTO the hole, then spot welded it, or did you make it bigger than the hole?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #99
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89
You should really hit it down with some rustoleum primer so it doesn't start rusting like that.

Nice work though, I'm gonna have to fix the floors in my 240 up (although they are not as bad) and this gave me a good idea of how to go about it. Just a quick question... did you make the replacement sheet of metal fit INTO the hole, then spot welded it, or did you make it bigger than the hole?

it's bigger than the hole. I am holding off on primer because i am waiting to get seam sealant first. I can just knock all that surface rust out with a wire wheel or sandblaster in a few minutes...
Old 02-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #100
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Yea just as long as you dont leave it for weeks.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #101
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Sunday...
Before:

After:

Only one more rust spot remains, then it's on to the manifold!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #102
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Beautiful job getting the rust out. Definitely want to get some seam sealer since you're tacking those plates on, but that's no big deal - seems like you're making great time on it!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #103
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
damn man keep up the good work on this unique swap bro
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #104
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

just ordered up some big wheels and fender flares...

17X10 and 17X8.5
Old 02-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #105
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

just dicking around, not the actual dimensions... yet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusinprogress
ok, for real......i tried doing a collector like that a while back with CAD and couldnt do it.......how did you do that?

That part actually only took about 20 minutes. It took me an hour or so to figure out the best way to constrain the elbows...

The way i set it up, I can simply enter a few constraints to my browser bar to adjust the runner length, until they are all equal, then I can actually drag the tubing around on the screen until it is packaged properly, all the while maintaining 100% tangential fitment.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #106
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I want that program!

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #107
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz
I want that program!

Carlos

it's just autocad inventor. You can DL it anywhere... But learning to use it well... another story...
Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #108
DoriftoPnoy
Zilvia Addict

DoriftoPnoy is on a distinguished road
yea autocad. i remember helping my friend in highskool with that. your design reminds me of that old skool game pipedreams. haha. your build is looking good so far. keep it up. can't wait for the end result.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #109
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Ok, so... I finished all the tack welding on the floor... I received an offer from a guy at work to do the whole car, so as soon as i have it soda blasted, he is going to seam weld the chassis...

So, in the meantime, i picked up a can of this (ted nugent approved!):

It was 30 bucks a quart, I hope it works well...

I am just going to leave it like this until the underbody/bay/interior has been blasted...

Next, I built a jig to mount the turbo... Yes, i know what you are thinking about turbo inlets... the answer is MAYBE...

I included some frame reference planes and a motor mount clearance simulator, so that When i start drawing this in CAD, I will know what i need to avoid, without having to keep taking measurements on the car...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #110
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
nice

"Soda blasted"??? Was that a typo?

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #111
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt_s13
nice

"Soda blasted"??? Was that a typo?
No typo, similar to bead blasting
http://www.sodaworks.com/

God, still following this thing

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #112
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
oh haha
I learned something new. Yea me too, this is a great build thread with my fav "PICS"!

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #113
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
nice
msglngth

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #114
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

HOW DID YOU SPEND YOUR FRIDAY NIGHT? (5 hours work)

Schedule 10 304 SS.

Weight = 30.74 LBS...

Too bad I'm not baller enough to afford 321 thin wall... At 80 dollars for 180*, that's $1040 in tubing alone!!!! Yikes.

The green parts are constraints from the car itself. Here are the listings of the length of the runners:

Runner 1: 20.790
Runner 2: 20.861
Runner 3: 20.794
Runner 4: 20.759
Runner 5: 20.801
Runner 6: 20.786

Standard deviation: .033 (1/32)

Wastegate will probably be added after the fact...

Last edited by ctnewman; 02-09-2007 at 09:31 PM..
Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #115
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
that shit would take me weeks to mock up in solidworks, props for that
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #116
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
wow good build newman. cant wait to see this thing out in the summer.
sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #117
lazierhobo
Zilvia Member

lazierhobo is on the path to ruinlazierhobo is on the path to ruin
how many times did all the pieces explode while you were building that in solid works?

great job! cant wait to see this stuff built.
lazierhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #118
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazierhobo
how many times did all the pieces explode while you were building that in solid works?

great job! cant wait to see this stuff built.

it's autodesk inventor. It actually went very smoothly. About 50% of the time was spent adjusting the runner length... As long as everything is well constrained, it's not bad...

I learned a lot of tricks, i could probably do another in about half the time...
Old 02-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #119
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
tightening the nuts for the exhaust studs above the green hump is going to be fun.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #120
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf
tightening the nuts for the exhaust studs above the green hump is going to be fun.

yeah, but that's what ratcheting wrenches are for...

I took a few minutes and made the collector pipes into flat patterns which i can print out on paper, wrap around a piece of straight pipe, then cut and grind:

QTY 2 up, QTY 2 down

QTY 2