Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #91
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
^^^^This....

As an old guy I want to point out, as Broadfield did awhile back, that it is EXTREMELY RARE for a manufacturer to support their product and customers with such vigor and focus upon customer satisfaction.

GtMat you sir deserve a kudos.

My car is nowhere near ready for interior work (stripped for paint), but when it is be expecting a phone call to discuss what will work best for my needs.

Cheers
Ch

Sent using XT912 M
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #92
GTMat
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
GTMat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by heychris View Post
^^^^This....

As an old guy I want to point out, as Broadfield did awhile back, that it is EXTREMELY RARE for a manufacturer to support their product and customers with such vigor and focus upon customer satisfaction.

GtMat you sir deserve a kudos.

My car is nowhere near ready for interior work (stripped for paint), but when it is be expecting a phone call to discuss what will work best for my needs.

Cheers
Ch

Sent using XT912 M
Thank you sir! We understand that customers may not always be happy with the product and we always work with them to ensure 100% satisfaction with the outcome.

future, I have PM'd you.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #93
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Deff hav great customer service! Don't want to feel like I'm only talking negative about you guys.
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #94
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Here is something I was wondering. We all know a 240sx with zero modifications on the highway at 80mph is not exactly a solid ride.

Once you get some decent suspension components installed, the handling and highway feel improves and smooths. But the shake and rattle is still there, unless we attempt to do something about it.

My favorite part of driving a supra or camaro on the highway at 80MPH is the stability and the comfortable interior noise level. IF we attempt to "do something to our 240sx" In order to make it more like a "supra or camaro" on the highway, without adding 1000lbs of course, where does all this noise damping material need to go? The trunk seems like an obvious place. But what about the actual undercarriage? Or under the actual carpet? We are not seam welding the chassis or adding a tube frame- and adding 100lbs of sound deading material is not going to add the extra "1000lbs of car" feeling that a supra or camaro gives on the highway.

SO- heres me wondering what and where are the key point, places, aspects of this sound eliminating idea, that also reduces vibration, and gives us that extra "1000lbs feeling" without actually adding that much weight.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #95
GTMat
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Here is something I was wondering. We all know a 240sx with zero modifications on the highway at 80mph is not exactly a solid ride.

Once you get some decent suspension components installed, the handling and highway feel improves and smooths. But the shake and rattle is still there, unless we attempt to do something about it.

My favorite part of driving a supra or camaro on the highway at 80MPH is the stability and the comfortable interior noise level. IF we attempt to "do something to our 240sx" In order to make it more like a "supra or camaro" on the highway, without adding 1000lbs of course, where does all this noise damping material need to go? The trunk seems like an obvious place. But what about the actual undercarriage? Or under the actual carpet? We are not seam welding the chassis or adding a tube frame- and adding 100lbs of sound deading material is not going to add the extra "1000lbs of car" feeling that a supra or camaro gives on the highway.

SO- heres me wondering what and where are the key point, places, aspects of this sound eliminating idea, that also reduces vibration, and gives us that extra "1000lbs feeling" without actually adding that much weight.
It sounds like you want the rattle vibration gone plus the quiet interior of a more modern car, correct? If so, you will need to go the full route of mat + closed cell foam + mass loaded vinyl. I always advise people to install the mat in the trunk/hatch area (especially over the rear wheel wells) and doors. The floor should not need any mat unless you are working with a completely stripped vehicle. I'm not sure about the weight of the CCF and MLV since we do not carry these products, yet. The weight of all the mats per square foot is listed below.

GTMat Pro 50mil - 4 ounces
GTMat Ultra 80mil - 7 ounces
GTMat Onyx 70mil - 9 ounces
GTMat 110mil - 9.5 ounces

Last edited by GTMat; 04-02-2013 at 11:16 AM..
GTMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #96
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
tapdeznutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMat View Post
If so, you will need to go the full route of mat + closed cell foam + mass loaded vinyl. I always advise people to install the mat in the trunk/hatch area (especially over the rear wheel wells) and doors. The floor should not need any mat unless you are working with a completely stripped vehicle.
A Couple questions, so installing this material under the carpet of the interior will not see a benefit? Also I would like see a sample or more detail on the "closed cell foam" since I could not locate it on your website.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #97
GTMat
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdeznutz View Post
A Couple questions, so installing this material under the carpet of the interior will not see a benefit? Also I would like see a sample or more detail on the "closed cell foam" since I could not locate it on your website.
If there is none or not enough factory installed lining on the floor, then yes, installation does help reduce the noise and resonance. I haven't looked at my floor but it is possible that companies are skimping on this so it might be something to look at. In most installs that I've seen, doing just the rear, wheel wells and doors was enough.

We do not have a closed cell foam or mass loaded vinyl product at this time, as stated in my previous post. It may be in the works in the future.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #98
GTMat
Leaky Injector

If anyone else needs a sample kit sent, just let me know!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #99
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I just ordered a sample off your website. What is the sound deadening ability of the 70mil onyx vs the regular 110mil. I know the onyx is the better actual product due to what its made with but will it deaden sound as well? I live in south Florida and have a 98 240sx. Which would you recommend and how much of it to do the whole trunk and doors.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #100
GTMat
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I just ordered a sample off your website. What is the sound deadening ability of the 70mil onyx vs the regular 110mil. I know the onyx is the better actual product due to what its made with but will it deaden sound as well? I live in south Florida and have a 98 240sx. Which would you recommend and how much of it to do the whole trunk and doors.

Thanks
Hey Tom, I sent you a PM. Give me a call to discuss!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 AM   #101
GANBATTE

GANBATTE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepN2Boost View Post
+1 There must be a reason why dynamat has been the leading the industry is sound deadening all these years. The phrase often imitated never duplicated comes to mind. But hey, prove me wrong and ill be a believer.
I think an alternative that is lighter, WAY cheaper, and has 70-80% of the noise
Reducing properties is the way to go. You get most the benefit adding anything at all from my exp.

I've also used "b-quiet" I think it was called. Worked great.
GANBATTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #102
GANBATTE

GANBATTE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Quick question - would you recommend leaving the material exposed for a certain amount of time in order for the adhesive to dry or cure? for example leaving the car in the sun with the windows down to sort of "bake" it ? Was trying to see if I can also avoid smelling the adhesive for the next few months.

Last edited by GANBATTE; 05-08-2013 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: typos from mobile
GANBATTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #103
GTMat
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANBATTE View Post
Quick question - would you recommend leaving the material exposed for a certain amount of time in order for the adhesive to dry or cure? for example leaving the car in the sun with the windows down to sort of "bake" it ? Was trying to see if I can also avoid smelling the adhesive for the next few months.
I have only had a handful of people who could still smell the mat two weeks after the installation, but it has never been longer than that. I usually ask people to leave the car in a garage with the windows down. I don't think keeping it in the sun will help get rid of the smell any quicker than leaving it in the shade. For my doors, I left the windows down and rode around with them down for about 3 days. I used the Ultra 80mil, 6sq ft worth on each door.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #104
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
tapdeznutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
I have a s13 hatch, I installed the sample material in my door panels and the trunk area, did have a little bit of a odor that was not strong or anything like that, it only lasted for a week or so and it was not irritating, pungent, or smelled like tar or anything like that. It was fine.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #105
GTMat
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I forgot to mention, we now have a pure butyl premium product called GTMat Onyx if you are worried about any smells. Higher heat resistance, no odor, 70mil thickness. Let me know if you want a quote!