Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
5spd swap, no start issue

I'm about to throw this whole damn car in the trash.

Did the 5spd swap on my ka24e(right? ha, I was bored and had all the parts), everything is as it should be. Did the clutch interlock bypass and the reverse lights are hooked up right. I go to turn it over, and the starter is just spinning. I figure, ok, battery might not have enough gusto to energize the solenoid and kick the gear out.

/puts battery on charger, tests good (or so they say at O'reilly and holds 12.7V

Same issue.

Soo, I figure maybe the solenoid is dead and go buy a new starter to swap it in. Same. Fucking. Issue.

I've done my fair share of 5spd swaps in the past with no issue. Clutch is Exedy stg1 OEM because its not a racecar, new stock flywheel, dust plate is installed, everything was torqued twice over before installing the trans. Everything just looks right and I am at a loss for what holding this thing up.
crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Take your starter off, ground it to a battery (anywhere on the starter) and strike the positive terminal with a jumper cable on the positive end of the same battery. If it still doesn’t jump out, take the whole thing apart and clean it out. I had the same issue with my SR, it was just stuck from years of shavings from spinning.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Take your starter off, ground it to a battery (anywhere on the starter) and strike the positive terminal with a jumper cable on the positive end of the same battery. If it still doesn’t jump out, take the whole thing apart and clean it out. I had the same issue with my SR, it was just stuck from years of shavings from spinning.
That'd make sense but the reman did exactly the same thing. I pulled the solenoid off the original and checked to make sure the lever wasn't damaged, its good. The gear moves freely, no excessive wear, etc. Its stumping me.

Think I may just go cop a sealed battery after work because I plan on relocating it anyways and i'd rather not have a traditional liquid filled in the trunk.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n' burn View Post
i'd rather not have a traditional liquid filled in the trunk.

wat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
wat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Id rather have something like an AGM odyssey battery or Optima at the very minimum versus the wet cell that's in it. Not too fond of the idea of wet cell inside of a car. Had one in my e30 almost explode.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #6
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Bench tested the original starter with the battery, it's working perfectly. I figured maybe it needed an extra ground, so I used a jumper cable to clamp onto the body and hooked it straight to the negative terminal, no change.

I cross referenced numbers for manual and automatic 240s, same part number for starters like I knew it was. Flywheel and flexplate are the same diameter too.

I just dont know what's going on. I really dont feel like pulling the trans back out but the only thing I can think of is the flywheel isn't the correct size? Crazy because it's a ka24e/de kit and they're all interchangeable from what remember.