Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Best Welder For A Beginner ?

So ive been really considering buying a welder soon but i need some advice. Im turning into a complete do it your selfer and i have this fascination with just having the ability to make my own stuff when i need it.

My questions are...

Whats best to start off with ? Tig, Mig, Arc ? ( thats all ive ever heard of not sure if theres anything else than that)

What price range should i go for when i shop for one ? currently i have about 300 to spend so im not sure if there are good ones for that price or is that cheap ?

What company welder do you prefer (keep in mind my budget, im sure the price varies depending on the name)

Im thinking of taking a welding class but i would like to at least learn a bit before i take the class so im not completely lost and just fail.

Thanks for reading everyone and the advice !!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
So ive been really considering buying a welder soon but i need some advice. Im turning into a complete do it your selfer and i have this fascination with just having the ability to make my own stuff when i need it.

My questions are...

Whats best to start off with ? Tig, Mig, Arc ? ( thats all ive ever heard of not sure if theres anything else than that)

What price range should i go for when i shop for one ? currently i have about 300 to spend so im not sure if there are good ones for that price or is that cheap ?

What company welder do you prefer (keep in mind my budget, im sure the price varies depending on the name)

Im thinking of taking a welding class but i would like to at least learn a bit before i take the class so im not completely lost and just fail.

$300 will not buy you a welder worth shit. It won't come close to buying you a Tig set, hell it won't even cover your supplies really.

I think you need to take the class or buy a book first because right now, by saying "I have $300 to spend" is like saying "I have $4,000, should I get a Lamborghini or a Ferrari.. keep in mind my budget".

If you REALLY want a welder, Harbor Frieght offers a Flux-Wire 90amp shitbox. Youtube videos for it. It's sloopy but will make sheet metal stick. You'll need to spend another $50 on a mask, $20 on gloves and $40 on quality fluxcore wire.

Get some metal and bamn, you bought the cheapest, jankiest Chinese welder ever and might have $50 left from your budget...

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98871.html

As for a quality Name, Lincholns are well respected, a Tig will start around $2,000 for a decent one for Automotive.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
seymour86

Trader Rating: (0)
seymour86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Easiest to do would be MIG $300 will not get you much I would stay away from the harbor frieght specials if you are going to get serious. Miller, Lincoln electric, hobart and Esab are what I would recomend. I would also go with something that is 220v rather than 110v. Some of the welders at home depot say they are Mig capable but they do not come ready to do mig because they do not have a gas solenoid in the machine. This is why if you are buying new I would recomend going to a deticated welding supply store plus you can talk to some of the guys that work there. The dudes at home depot usually dont know much other than what the box says. you can also go used but do your homework. I have a miller millermatic 180 mig and a miller syncrowave 200 for tig. love them both but would love to get a Dynasty 200dx to replace the syncrowave... maybe with my tax return
seymour86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Miller is a good brand to look into
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Craigslist search for a used machine. You can pick up lightly used welders at huge discounts. Also watch estate sales. Lincoln Electric, Hobart, Miller, Esab are your big brands. Some of the Snap-On welders are rebadged Millers as well as some of the newer hobarts.

As far as beginning, I taught myself to weld last year. I started with TIG, but I also started playing with a fluxcore mig at the same time. Mig is far far more forgiving than a tig. Tig is a very clean process and becomes a pain in some situations (stitch welding a chassis for example). Mig will be of more use to a beginner as well from my experience.

I will say one thing, a good machine makes a huge difference. I spent a year saving up for my Lincoln Electric PrecisionTig 225. I do not regret how much that cost me at all.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Also, check out the fabrication thread in the technical forum. Lots of advice.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
$300 will not buy you a welder worth shit. It won't come close to buying you a Tig set, hell it won't even cover your supplies really.

I think you need to take the class or buy a book first because right now, by saying "I have $300 to spend" is like saying "I have $4,000, should I get a Lamborghini or a Ferrari.. keep in mind my budget".

If you REALLY want a welder, Harbor Frieght offers a Flux-Wire 90amp shitbox. Youtube videos for it. It's sloopy but will make sheet metal stick. You'll need to spend another $50 on a mask, $20 on gloves and $40 on quality fluxcore wire.

Get some metal and bamn, you bought the cheapest, jankiest Chinese welder ever and might have $50 left from your budget...

Flux Wire Welder - 90 Amp & Other Welders - Harbor Freight Tools

As for a quality Name, Lincholns are well respected, a Tig will start around $2,000 for a decent one for Automotive.

Alright, so i know not to buy one just yet now lol. I had no idea how expensive they ran. I looked online and all the ones i found were cheaper so i was just assuming they were around that price for a decent one.

*edit* looking around on ebay and found a lincoln for about 328 refurbished.... not sure if thats worth it either ? i mean im not exactly ready to invest 2k on a welder that i have no idea how to use yet. but i am going to look into the class though...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
thenooblet
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
thenooblet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Miller and Lincoln are the best, hands down.

Also, older welders are the better because they have good copper in them and the currents flow better.

thenooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
rick johnson

rick johnson is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought a brand new miller mig welder for $650. it is thew millermatic 140. you need to plan on spending like $1200 if you get it all new. the welder is awesome for the price and even has auto set by the gauge of the metal you want to weld to help with setting the feed and heat level till you figure everything out
rick johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
rick johnson

rick johnson is an unknown quantity at this point
the other $550 will pay for things like gloves mask and gas
rick johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
camaro379ss
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
camaro379ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
go with miller.

As for which type mig is the easiest, tig will take a bit of practice.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
310R
Leaky Injector

310R is an unknown quantity at this point
They are right mig should be the first.I purchased a lincoln 220v wire feed,can't remember the name something 200 or 220.I have done 4 toyota straight axle swaps with it.I have never had a hiccup or a problem.All of these rigs are beat on hard weekly and nothing I welded has failed.I spent $1500.00 on it 6 years ago and it has paid for itself 3 times already.Don't skimp it will last a long time if you don't.
310R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
kenshinS14sks
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
move to offtopic please
kenshinS14sks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
pandaroo
Zilvia Member

pandaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
for a cheap muliprocess welder get a ac/dc buzz box stick welder and buy a tig torch set up. they actually make kits for this with every thing you need. (google tombstone tig) im able to weld pretty much every thing i need to weld with tig or stick although mig is quite handy sometimes. also if you can take a class do it!! you wont regret it. all you do is sit a booth weld. you get tones off seat time and you dont have to buy all the consumables and metal you go through. right now im learning to be a pipe welder and would probably cry if i knew how much money in pipe ive welded up lol.
hopes this helps brutha!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
When I was 16, I bought a $280 or so flux core mig from Home Depot. I actually still use it to this day occasionally (like if i need to weld shit at somebody's house). I like it.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
whatever machine you buy, make sure its made by a popular company (which have already been mentioned) because you will need to buy consumable replacement parts.

a welder is a machine that needs servicing. if you cannot replace a component on your gun or in your machine, then the machine is now considered junk.

i saw one of our friends (diego) welding with a 110v horror-freight welder... holy shit, i have home amplifiers bigger than that junk. i saw him make some sparks, cant say he welded anything though.

in addition to the machine, be prepared to supply it with proper electricity. you'll need the proper amp service (outlet) for a 220v machine, so do your research.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Thanks for the replies guys... i saw a few things i liked im not sure where else to look but ebay. i know lots of ebay products are looked down on but some stuff isnt too bad.

Clarke 160EN mig/fluxcore 220V welder KIT new | eBay

this is something that caught my eye.. do you guys suggest stuff that uses gas or just electric ? because im new to this so not sure.

Some other stuff http://cgi.ebay.com/LINCOLN-WORK-PAK...ht_6645wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lincoln-Weld-Pak...#ht_666wt_1137
Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
Leetheslacker
Zilvia Junkie

Leetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond repute
I started on that HF flux core booger box. Got it for $80 on sale, got a good mask and good wire. And I'm really glad i did it. It had a lot of limitations, IE, can't do sheet metal for shit without blowing holes through it, but it got my foot in the door and some feeling of what welding is like.

I recently went out and bought myself a miller 140, and I'm in love with the thing. Sheet is no longer a problem, nor is cleaning up booger spatter. It was about a grand for the welder, a cart, and a huge tank that i now own, not lease. And it was worth every penny.
Leetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

^^ owning a good machine is where it's at. Cheap ones break often, safety systems are not there, etc. Though, I'm not one to deny that they do the job.

Tanks aren't too bad. Just priced a refill today on a 5ft and it was like $40 for argon.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys... i saw a few things i liked im not sure where else to look but ebay. i know lots of ebay products are looked down on but some stuff isnt too bad.

Clarke 160EN mig/fluxcore 220V welder KIT new | eBay

this is something that caught my eye.. do you guys suggest stuff that uses gas or just electric ? because im new to this so not sure.

Some other stuff LINCOLN WORK-PAK 125 MIG WELDER 120V U2699-1 REFURB | eBay

Lincoln Weld-Pak 3200HD K2190 MIG Welder | eBay
dude, stop asking people on a forum and go read a book.

you're posting ebay links, the first thing i saw is that clarke is made in china. if you want a welder with no replacement parts or support, then buy that. by the way, ebay doesnt make or sell anything, its a fucking service (marketplace).

gas shielding is needed if you want a non-contaminated weld. that, or buy a stick welder and deal with slag.

if you want to weld CHEAP, pickup an oxy-acetylene torch welder. you can create some really nice welds at a fraction of the price of mig/tig. but stop asking people for forum advice (hear-say) and get factual information from a book, written by someone with history/experience.

here you go, go get your jumper cables:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Golfcart--Welder/

Last edited by ixfxi; 04-27-2011 at 06:28 PM..
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
FLMadness
Zilvia Member

FLMadness is an unknown quantity at this point
lol...go to harbor freight and get some cheap hobart welder if you on a budget
FLMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
Catch240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Catch240 is on the path to ruinCatch240 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
stick = messy as fuck
mig = welders hot glue gun
tig = sweet welds

if your only planning on using you welder for basic car repairs(rot) and house projects a 200 amp mig welder will be more than enough.

If you want to get serious go with a 200 amp tig welder. I prefer miller, but lincoln also makes good welders. and youll need a welder capable of doing ac current if you want to weld aluminum.

If you go with a tig welder expect to drop 3k for a decent one. A decent mig welder can be found for $600-750.
Catch240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
29psiHybrid
Leaky Injector

29psiHybrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Hobart Handler 140 is an awesome 110v welder for the money! I've got one to play backup to my Miller 180 Syncrowave TIG.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenooblet View Post
Also, older welders are the better because they have good copper in them and the currents flow better.
Uhh...can you please expand on this? What is "good" copper and how does it flow "better"?

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #25
KrazyS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (28)
KrazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
God I want that Miller 180! Gonna pick up a Miller diversion soon to get my foot in the door with tig. It gets pretty good reviews and is around 1200 for just the welder.

OP, as others suggested DONT waist your money on chinese made shit.
KrazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:

My questions are...

DEPENDS ON YOUR NEEDS, BUT SINCE YOUR ASKING THAT ON THIS FORUM ITS PROBABLY GONNA BE A AC/DC TIG MACHINE THAT WOULD BEST SUIT YORU NEEDS.

THAT'LL BUY YOU A NICE TIG HELMET AND SOME GLOVES

AGAIN DEPENDS ON YOUR NEEDS, WITH A BUDGET OF $300 YOUR ONLY OPTION IS GONNA BE A CHEAPO MIG FROM TEH LIKES OF HARBOR FREIGHT...

THATS A GOOD IDEA IM IN THE SAME BOAT BUT IMMA TEACH MYSELF

I soon realized that my needs are gonna require a TIG AC/DC and so with that the cost goes way up.

This is what I bought so far for my setup, just in the is picture alone your looking at ~$1,000 and still dont have the Miller Dynasty 200 DX but im about half way there, that unit runs ~$3,000 alone just for the unit itself.

TIG Auto Darkening Helmet, Contrator Kit with foot pedal, TIG Gloves. Now just need to save up and buy the Miller Dynasty 200DX so I can learn to TIG weld and put this shit to use.

And this is the TIG on the right that im saving for:

UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #27
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

I love the portability of those machines. Have you looked for a used one in order to save a bit of cash?

Here is my Lincoln Electric Precision Tig 225 rig. Picked it up for $2k and still has 2 years left on the factory warranty. Came with a purchased tank (not rented), rods, pedal, torch, regulator, cart, and all papers.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #28
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Yea I found a good deal on a used Maxstar 200 DX (DC only) (which is the one on the left side of that pic above) for $1200 but I want AC capability and pulse and frequency control cause I plan on doing intercooler piping in aluminum and some SS exhaust and whatever else comes to mind after I get good.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #29
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
Yea I found a good deal on a used Maxstar 200 DX (DC only) (which is the one on the left side of that pic above) for $1200 but I want AC capability and pulse and frequency control cause I plan on doing intercooler piping in aluminum and some SS exhaust and whatever else comes to mind after I get good.
Too bad the added AC feature makes those inverter machines cost double the price of the maxstars.

I bought myself a syncrowave and for what I do and need it's more than enough however it sucks power like a motha.

As was mentioned though OP, 300$ will not get you that far. A used TIG machine with AC and DC can run you anywhere from 1100$ -4,000$+

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #30
aalbert240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
aalbert240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:

My questions are...

all are a lil tricky if you are a begginer a class is a great idea.
like other member said 300 is just enough for a welding helmet a some gloves and maybe enough to enrol into a class.
sometimes those name brand welders are a lil more expensive but work like a charm look for reviews on the machines.

hope this helps
aalbert240 is offline   Reply With Quote