Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
gippy87
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
gippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-knowngippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-knowngippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-knowngippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Best way to clean head gasket residue off the block?

Im replacing the head gasket on my sr tommorrow. If the block is straight, what will be the best method to removing the old gasket residue other then resurfacing.

This is what it looked like after a razor blade

You can see it was still very dirty.
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Acetone or laquer thinner should take most of it off... You can also use a very fine steel wool or sand paper, 1000 grit or higher..
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
moses
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
moses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I was going to use liquor and sand paper. Tell me how it goes, I plan to do the same thing soon.
moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
I've used a green scothbright pad on that area, the area where the upper oil pan bolts, and the front of the block also w/ good results.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
landins13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you can pick up gasket remover from advance auto parts, that works really well if you use a green scuff pad with it
Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yeah Razor blade, carb cleaner and a brillow pad

Id refrain from using Sand paper or steel wool Metal shavings or sand in your oil system = Bad Ju Ju
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
yeah that steel wool can leave fine hair in there. When we use it to clean windows after a cars been painted we never wash the car we allways blow em off with air to avoid scratching the paint..anyways i would use a gasket scraper and some gasket remover to get it off clean.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
moses
Zilvia Junkie

moses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-known
looks like ill be using a scuff pad and gasket remover
moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
be carefull with the scuff pad. Put some lint free towls or paper on top the pistons and walls to avoid getting fine dirt or hairs from the scuffing pad.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
smurfgcr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
smurfgcr is making a name for him/her selfsmurfgcr is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
aircraft paint remover ftw
smurfgcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
high girt sand paper, steady hands and permatex gasket remover, worked for me about 20 times now for metal and composite gaskets, motor blowing more than 30 psi at times
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #12
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to JRas
I used a razor blade to get most of the paper off, sandpaper to clean it up, and brake cleaner to clean off
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I'd go with the really fine sandpaper, I forgot about steel wool, scuff pads and what not breaking apart... Haven't used them in a long time. Get 1.5k sandpaper and a sanding block to keep it level...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
oneviaman
Leaky Injector

oneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond reputeoneviaman has a reputation beyond repute
they make these things called bristle disks. looks like a wire wheel made out of a hard plastic. takes off the material without removing metal. i love them.

look like this

oneviaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #15
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i used synthetic steel wool ultra fine (like a scotch bright but not as abrasive) soaked in engine oil worked out pretty good, and leaves a very shinny sruface. then i cleaned out the oil residue with brake cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #16
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nylon bristle rol-loc for winnage... use them all th etime.

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
mxsx25
Zilvia Junkie

mxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmxsx25 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to mxsx25
a 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting disc, the biggest hammar you can find along with the most gnarly flat head punch you have...then go ballistic...lol jk i usually use a razor blade, verrrrrry lightly(you can shave aluminum easier than most people think) then sometimes very lightly with a scuff pad and brake/carb clean
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #18
jquest

jquest is an unknown quantity at this point
what oneviaman suggested is what you would usually use in a mech shop. just make sure you get the right one. i can't quite remember but i think the yellow one is for alum. and the blue one is for steel or cast iron. or other way around. use the steel one on alum. and u will start removing material that you want to keep. and i usaully spray brake cleaner on first and then hit it with the brush. the gasket remover does burn the flesh. so i don't use it if i can help it. dude that stuff hurts. stay away from the cutting disc muahahahaha

john
jquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
gippy87
Zilvia Junkie

gippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-knowngippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-knowngippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-knowngippy87 is making his/her stupidity well-known
seems like alot of different answers now i have to choose.. hmmm.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #20
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why not call your local machine shop if you're really worried. Any of the answers in this thread will work though. Just do what you feel most comfortable with.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #21
nissanpwnsvtec

nissanpwnsvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nissanpwnsvtec
just go for what seems easiest to get your hands on
Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #22
n240sxfnatic
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
n240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
[QUOTE=mxsx25;2414951]a 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting disc, the biggest hammar you can find along with the most gnarly flat head punch you have...then go ballistic.../QUOTE]

This is probably the best way to do it
n240sxfnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #23
gippy87
Zilvia Junkie

i went with the angle grinder method since a couple people seemed to agree it was the best way. it wasnt exactly the finish i was looking for i hope it didnt shave to much off the block...

lol jk
Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
initial_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
initial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
use an ice scraper

It's what everyone at my dealership uses and it's what my instructor's making us use
initial_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #25
jim1234664
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
jim1234664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by initial_drifter View Post
use an ice scraper

It's what everyone at my dealership uses and it's what my instructor's making us use
yeah use this and a solvent, 0 chance of scoring the block
jim1234664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #26
CrazyKoukiS14
Leaky Injector

CrazyKoukiS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CrazyKoukiS14
heres what i do, soak it with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, then take a razor blade and scrape it off and just repeat this cycle over and over again and once youve done that take a sheet of sandpaper 1000 grade or higher and sand for about 2 or 3 minutes
CrazyKoukiS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #27
mxexux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
mxexux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Just use a drill with a wire wheel on it and it will take you a few minutes. It won't remove metal either. I did it with my rebuild and I even used it to remove all the carbon build up on the pistons too.
mxexux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #28
n240sxfnatic
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
n240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond reputen240sxfnatic has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxexux View Post
Just use a drill with a wire wheel on it and it will take you a few minutes. It won't remove metal either. I did it with my rebuild and I even used it to remove all the carbon build up on the pistons too.
Thats a bad idea, and yes, it will remove metal
n240sxfnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:31 AM   #29
remi
Leaky Injector

remi is an unknown quantity at this point
A wire wheel brush will not damage a cast iron block. Most mechanics shops will use a die grinder with a wire wheel attached. This wont damage a cast iron block, yes it'll harm an aluminum block or other aluminum pieces but you'd have to sit there for hours and wear that wire wheel to nothing in order to hurt cast iron. And yes, I'm speaking from experience. I've been a technician for 5 years now and done my share of this type of work. A die grinder with a wire wheel attachment is by far the fastest and easiest method for removing head gasket material. Also, just as mxexux stated, you can also clean the piston tops with it as well, it won't harm them either.
remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #30
jmac636
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
jmac636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I build motocross race engines and what I do is razor blade the big stuff, use the RED scotch brite and some brake or carb cleaner. Scotch brite pads come in different abrasives gray-fine,red-medium and green is rough. I never use the green on anything aluminum only on steel. Hope this helps someone.