Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jrguzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Oil pools on all piston tops

So I just finished rebuilding my ka24det, due to detonation damage in all cylinders. I start up the engine for the first time and it's running very strange exhaust manifold glowing red and backfires ect. Checked timing on distributor and it was a tooth off. After it was running great! Except now I'm having a problem with oil smoke (blue) after engine is warm. I have one of those bore scopes cameras so I decided to check out the piston tops. I found that all of them have small pools of what appears to be oil settling on the exhaust side. The spark plugs look good from what I can tell. I changed the valve seals and some of them were bad / floating on the valve stem. So I figured great this will be an easy fix. Nope still getting smoke. All the work done on the rebuild.

-head decked
-valve job, seats, guides
-valve lash ( cut tip of valve to correct spec)
-tomie 1.2mm head gasket
-arp studs
-upgraded to oil relocation and cooler
-retune on ecu
-blow through maf
-isr t25 / t28 turbo ( sitting for about a year new bnib)

It's seems to blow blue smoke if I give it quick heavy throttle and if I let the engine idle for awhile it will blow out a decent size cloud.

The bottom end was also built about a year ago
Cp pistons eagle rods clevite bearings

Also the compression test results are very high 205 cold in all cylinders and 215 warm. Before the rebuild it was 145/ 155 avg.

But due to the oil in the cylinders I feel that it's giving inaccurate readings.

Next step is leak down.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Again

Jrguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
ANDY black s13
Zilvia Member

ANDY black s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
some possibles,
if you are using the same intercooler from the previous det death did you clean it out
before reusing it,
or if the hot pipe is oily inside suspect compressor side leaking oil into the housing/hotpipe
I see it was bnib turbo but can happen
ANDY black s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Oil raises compression ratio and causes detonation. You can see flakes/chunks of piston missing because its been running like shit for quite a while. Check intake manifold for oil; if there isn't any in there, it has to be coming through the head somehow.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
some possibles,
if you are using the same intercooler from the previous det death did you clean it out
before reusing it,
or if the hot pipe is oily inside suspect compressor side leaking oil into the housing/hotpipe
I see it was bnib turbo but can happen

Yeah that turbo has been on a shelf for the past year, I haven't checked the piping for oil yet but definitely will
Old 03-25-2018, 11:15 PM   #5
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Oil raises compression ratio and causes detonation. You can see flakes/chunks of piston missing because its been running like shit for quite a while. Check intake manifold for oil; if there isn't any in there, it has to be coming through the head somehow.
The 205 compression seemed too high. I was worried about running boost on top of that but the pistons are good I checked them before I put the head back on. No signs of pitting or pieces missing. The cylinder head took all the detonation damage from what I could tell
Old 03-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i had a similar issue, turned out that all my exhaust valve guides were shot.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Interested in this, I have the same problem on my stock ka, I get the same puff of smoke when I’m at idle for a while and when I give it throttle it comes shooting out. Thought it was just a clogged cat- but let us know any updates as you do further inspection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
i had a similar issue, turned out that all my exhaust valve guides were shot.
I hope that's not the case, the machine shop I took the head to said they replaced the guides along with the other work that was done. But I could see how it could be a possibility.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_240 View Post
Interested in this, I have the same problem on my stock ka, I get the same puff of smoke when I’m at idle for a while and when I give it throttle it comes shooting out. Thought it was just a clogged cat- but let us know any updates as you do further inspection

Will do, i had also thought it could be a crankcase pressure issue with the added compression and oil from the oil cooler. So I removed the dipstick and put a shop vac directly to the tube to the crankcase. All that accomplished was a shop vac with about a quart of oil in it lol. I have the pcv both venting to atmosphere now.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Here are the leak down results from today. All cylinders under 10% leakdown.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

So after talking with the machine shop about the oil burning issue I decided to pull the head and have them take a look at it. Here are some pictures from today. The exhaust side is coated with oil. And this is after I changed the valve seals. The intake side seems good as far as I can tell.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
I'm still betting on exhaust valve guides. I had the same exact issue and did the same exact thing.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'm still betting on exhaust valve guides. I had the same exact issue and did the same exact thing.
I have a feeling your right. when your guides went bad could you see where they were leaking oil from?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Guides and Stem Seals are two different things people.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Guides and Stem Seals are two different things people.
One more time for the people in the back.

What is that picture of? That is a compression tester, not a leak down tester... 90 PSI is not good. Is that after you cranked a few times then did you just let it sit? Because that is not how a leak down test is done. What compression pistons do you have? Look like 9:1, you shouldn't be seeing 210 on a compression test cold.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
One more time for the people in the back.

What is that picture of? That is a compression tester, not a leak down tester... 90 PSI is not good. Is that after you cranked a few times then did you just let it sit? Because that is not how a leak down test is done. What compression pistons do you have? Look like 9:1, you shouldn't be seeing 210 on a compression test cold.
Yeah I was wondering why the compression jumped up after the rebuild, I figured it had to do with all the oil in the cylinders. The head has been decked twice and the block once. Pistons are cp 9:0:1 was getting about 150, 145 before the recent rebuild due to blown headgasket/ detonation in all cylinders

It's a custom leak down I made from an old compression tester. The harbor freight one wasn't cutting it. just subtract from 100 psi. So 90 would be 10% leak down

Last edited by Jrguzman; 03-29-2018 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Adding more information
Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Are you filling it with 100 psi then waiting to see how much leaks?
Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #18
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Are you filling it with 100 psi then waiting to see how much leaks?
I set the cylinder to Tdc on compression stroke, sett the tester to 100 psi. Then connect the tester to the cylinder.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
But don’t you lose pressure out of the tester since it then has to pressurize the cylinder

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #20
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Not my picture but this is a basic overview of how it's made.

https image
Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
It's pouring out your exhaust stem seals.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #22
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
It's pouring out your exhaust stem seals.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out how that can be. I replaced all of them. The only thing I can think of and I might be way off here. The machine shop cut the top of the valve stem to set the valve lash and I know that the ka24de uses shims for this I believe. Maybe the valve is being pushed under the stem seal and it is causing the leak. But that's just a wild guess.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #23
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
I would be more inclined to think that the seals are wrong, bad or were installed incorrectly. What brand are they?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #24
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
I would be more inclined to think that the seals are wrong, bad or were installed incorrectly. What brand are they?
Not exactly sure what brand the machine shop used but they were all blue maybe supertech?
But I replaced them with basic felpro seals from auto zone. They were the same for exhaust and intake. I also checked before I took the head to the machine shop again to see if the seals were still seated and they appeared to be ok.
Maybe to much play between valve and valve guides? I'm stumped, just hoping I can get it figured out before I reassemble everything lol
Old 04-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Well the problem is still present after the second time and now even seems to be worse then before.

At this point I don't know what is going on with it. Here are some pictures. The pooles of oil seem to be on Both sides now. The spray pattern appears to be coming from the top.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #26
ANDY black s13
Zilvia Member

If the head is all good,I'm struggling to think of why it's still getting oil in each cylinder
I will need to ponder this longer
the turbo is the only suspect that could be feeding oil into the motor/all four pots
or the intercooler or pipe work from the previous blow up?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #27
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
If the head is all good,I'm struggling to think of why it's still getting oil in each cylinder
I will need to ponder this longer
the turbo is the only suspect that could be feeding oil into the motor/all four pots
or the intercooler or pipe work from the previous blow up?
Yeah this is giving me a hard time as well, I've checked the piping and inter cooler every thing is dry. I'm thinking of getting a new head and maybe even a set of new rings.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #28
ANDY black s13
Zilvia Member

so we have the head is good and turbo is good,
now we need what is allowing oil into each pot ?,
if it was just one pot I would say suspect cracked head or an oil control ring
but not all four failing the same way, and looks like equal amounts of oil in each pot
I don't want to say swap the head or re-ring the pistons as not convinced that is the fix
but we are running out of options,I'm leaning towards rings more than head
might have to pull one piston out and look for tell tale signs
it's the oil in each pot that's throwing me off
Old 04-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #29
Jrguzman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
so we have the head is good and turbo is good,
now we need what is allowing oil into each pot ?,
if it was just one pot I would say suspect cracked head or an oil control ring
but not all four failing the same way, and looks like equal amounts of oil in each pot
I don't want to say swap the head or re-ring the pistons as not convinced that is the fix
but we are running out of options,I'm leaning towards rings more than head
might have to pull one piston out and look for tell tale signs
it's the oil in each pot that's throwing me off
Right I think it has to be something that the machine shop did because this wasn't happening before the valve job.
But assuming the head is in order I have heard that some cases after a valve job the increase in vacuum can pull oil past the rings. But I don't feel like that is the case because of the pattern of oil that is on the pistons and leak down results that I got.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #30
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Unless I misread, I'm going to re-iterate the same issue I had was valve guides.