Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 AM   #91
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This whole thread is so good.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #92
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
So Long story short, I had a water pump failure at the race track. While i simply thought i had heat soaked my car and did a "cool down lap" it was really a "meltdown lap" and blew the HG. I parked the car since i had been re-modeling my house and needed to focus on the bigger picture. With the help of my dad and his past construction experience we remodeled the entire inside of my house & the garage.

Since i now have a better work area I've rolled the car back in to it's "new home" and will begin a tear down in the next day or two.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 12:51 AM..
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #93
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Update: So between Monday night and Tuesday night I pulled the engine outta the car and tore it apart. I'm super happy that the safety features I setup on my ECU worked out well. The pistons and head showed zero signs of detonation, and the valves also did not looked damaged / burned. all the damage i got was due to heat. Since the engine did reach a peak of 143*C according to the logs i was expecting MUCH worse damage than it actually happened. I had never seen a MLS head gasket get baked this bad, I'm super stoked the head and block aren't completely screwed.

When i was in the pits pulling in i noticed at idle i only had about .8 bar of oil pressure. meaning i over cooked the oil. there was no abnormal noises, from the head or anything. draining the oil nothing was abnormal, camshafts rockers all look solid like they had good lubrication. no scoring on the cams or head. Rocker arms looked good no hot spots or scoring. That's about where the good news end though, when i pulled the pan off the block to finish checking everything i found glitter. It is so small that i can;t even pick it up with my finger nails but the oil does feel gritty. best description i can say is it feels like wet 1800-2000 grit sand paper. so I'm stuck at a cross roads, do i toss new bearings in it and risk tossing a rod at the next event or do i make bad financial decision and just build the block and head? I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of nights and figure out a game plan. I refuse to give up on this car just because of a road bump. I just hadn't planned on building a full race engine this soon. I wanted to spend more time on the track with the stock block.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 12:55 AM..
Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #94
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i was in a similar situation. my oil looked exactly like that, but i just ended up cleaning out as much of the oil as i could, replacing the bearings and putting it back together. drove 100 miles, changed the oil, checked the head and everything was ok. repeated the process several times and everything has been good. there was no metallic in the oil last time i changed it and the drain plug only had a couple small specks on it. but obviously it's a bit of a gamble. there may a blocked oil galley somewhere that will lead to premature failure some day. just gonna stash away some extra money for when/if that happens haha
Old 01-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #95
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
what happened to your water pump? did it seize or leak coolant?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:16 AM   #96
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Been following your escapades on instagram for a while now. All these non VQ 300zx's are making me like them more and more.

Also nice job on the garage, it looks like a great place to get work done.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #97
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
Been following your escapades on instagram for a while now. All these non VQ 300zx's are making me like them more and more.

Also nice job on the garage, it looks like a great place to get work done.
That's because there's actual space to work and maneuver, in the engine bay.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #98
AscendaShogun
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
AscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was super stoked the whole time I read this. Then bummed about the head gasket.

Mine popped in the RB20 in July

Keep it up though bud! Excited to see more!

I love Z32s...really need to start considering building one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
decrepit teenage shitsleds
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
"Cut my springs, car is bouncy, will a camber kit help?"
AscendaShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #99
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
VG NOT VQ GOSHHH GOSH GOSH GOSH GOSHHHH

greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #100
bardabe
Post Whore!

VVL Chronicles

Blah Blah Blah SR20 Blah blah VVL
so the entire first quarter of this year has been pretty nuts, finished a few loose ends in my garage. designed a torque plate, fixed a few more cars, tuned Pacotaco's Car. life is good but I've been keeping the Z in the back burner and it's time to bring her back to life. I took the cylinder head off, put the straight edge on it & well it's not a core i would want to use to make a ton of HP. I could probably sell it to someone on here that wants to deck it and keep going but even so i would feel bad it's warped pretty badly so I'm going to keep it as a JIG for S14.3 rocker covers, good side money and my quality is hard to beat. Anyway, I've decided that with the S14 head so far gone I would just say screw it and do the proper build. I'll be using JE 86.5MM VVL Pistons, K1 Rods, & this super sweet JE Head Gasket. I've used the JE head gaskets on subarus upwards of 700WHP without issues so i know it'll be a solid HG to use on the SR20, added bonus? it has all three holes so using the FWD oil pump won't need HG modification like Tomei & Apexi.

I have more goodies on the way but I'll keep updates coming the next few updates will basically be a proper write up on how I'm doing my RWD VVL Swap. so I'll leave this here for now. P.S. I also purchased an Apexi Water temp gauge lol

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 01:03 AM..
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #101
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
going to be a monster..

What's the bore on that torque plate?

Good to see you making progress!
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #102
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Looks like the race is on Juan
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #103
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can't wait to see how this turns out, you might be the first person with an SR20VET swapped Z32. Regardless, its going to be pretty damn cool.

What turbo are you planning to run? Have a power goal in mind?
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #104
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I look forward to see it too, but definitely not the first

This one was built around 2005(IIRC)

Still debating an SR in my own Z...
Old 04-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #105
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStayBroke View Post

Yep. Thats Danny. However, this was built in the 2008 to 2010 time frame. I was in contact with him a few months ago

There is also another guy in PR that was built some 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #106
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

Damn, that looks like one hell of a setup. Guess he won't be the first, but one of the few.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #107
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
going to be a monster..

What's the bore on that torque plate?

Good to see you making progress!
Torque plate is supposed to be 87mm I should have it here on Monday the 24th you need it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Looks like the race is on Juan
hahaha i see what you did there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Can't wait to see how this turns out, you might be the first person with an SR20VET swapped Z32. Regardless, its going to be pretty damn cool.

What turbo are you planning to run? Have a power goal in mind?
Haha I'm not the first but i only know of one other car, which is a super rad Drag car. as far as turbo goes I'm debating between an S252SX-E or an S257SX-E I'm more after a responsive setup so I'm more than likely going to stick to the S252SX-E my buddy Adam over at Motovicity keeps wispering EFR 7163 in my ear though so we will see what happens. I'm going to break it in with the factory S14 T28 and STi Injectors so I have a few months to drive it at 300hp and simmering my thoughts (and wallet) on it.

Quote:

God that car is so fucking rad, haha this is the one i was talking about. isn't thi car running some gnarly 3 speed trans?

Review Thread
Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #108
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Danny parted his car out a few years ago
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #109
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
Haha I'm not the first but i only know of one other car, which is a super rad Drag car. as far as turbo goes I'm debating between an S252SX-E or an S257SX-E I'm more after a responsive setup so I'm more than likely going to stick to the S252SX-E my buddy Adam over at Motovicity keeps wispering EFR 7163 in my ear though so we will see what happens. I'm going to break it in with the factory S14 T28 and STi Injectors so I have a few months to drive it at 300hp and simmering my thoughts (and wallet) on it.
Listen to the whispers, you know you want an EFR A 7163 paired with a VVL head would be incredible, might not be the most responsible option keeping your wallet's health in mind though ahaha
Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #110
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Hey Hey Hey! Let him have his BW SXRE07390783xxhhoitu-etrtrt or whatever it is
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #111
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
Torque plate is supposed to be 87mm I should have it here on Monday the 24th you need it?
Yeah that would be awesome!
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #112
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
That VET just sits so nice in that engine bay.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #113
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Hey Hey Hey! Let him have his BW SXRE07390783xxhhoitu-etrtrt or whatever it is
Yo dawg, I heard you like confusing naming schemes

I actually checked out the S252SX-E and its pretty sweet. Basically GT30R size with a billet wheel and journal bearing. Even though its journal bearing, I bet response would still be great thanks to that glorious VVL head.

I still vote EFR 7163 though, GO BIG OR GO HOME!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #114
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Yo dawg, I heard you like confusing naming schemes

I actually checked out the S252SX-E and its pretty sweet. Basically GT30R size with a billet wheel and journal bearing. Even though its journal bearing, I bet response would still be great thanks to that glorious VVL head.

I still vote EFR 7163 though, GO BIG OR GO HOME!
..........well I would prefer for him to stay the BW SX track for..........errrrr....you know........strictly personal and very selfish reasons
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #115
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I cant keep up with all this new turbo naming tech.

Anyone know how much power Danny's Z was making in that drag setup?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #116
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Around 800 WHP
Old 05-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #117
bardabe
Post Whore!

We have progress!

So over the past two weeks, i gathered more parts and finished up a few cars. finally had some time to work on my block this week since this weekend I'll be making a batch of S14.3 rocker covers from some zilvians and locals. here is an update, on Wednesday i finally got to work on the block, i drilled and tapped the block for the VVL N1 oil pump bolt hole that is different, I also drilled and tapped the front timing chain oil feed on the S14 block that is non existent on S13 & VVL cylinder heads. letting my machine shop tap and close the oil drain hole in the back of the block. (not going to buy a $70 tap to use it once) gathered all my parts for the new bottom end along with my torque plate and took a cute little family picture before heading to the machine shop. I ended up changing my mind on HG last minute because we will be re-surfacing the block & Cylinder head so jumped from the 1MM head gasket to a 1.5mm in efforts to also lower my compression a little bit. so i dropped off all the kids at the day care center for some machine work.

also while doing all this measuring, and research of ARP's catalog Brock (TB13) and I thought that the EVO X head studs would be a good fit instead of the shitty SR20 ones. Being the fickle person with my personal builds that i tend to be i ended up buying the Mazworx studs, and brock took a leap of faith and ordered the Evo X ones; while i had both of them with me i took a picture of the studs next to each-other. Close but the Mazworx are slightly different.

Mazworx on the Top, 4B11T Studs on the Bottom. looking forward to seeing what results Brock has with his studs.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: Broken link
Old 05-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #118
tb13
Zilvia Addict

This is about to get really interesting

Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #119
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Sure is
Old 05-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #120
bardabe
Post Whore!

... since my machine shop is extremely busy and i have no crazy / nice pics of engine guts I did get something from the Australian folk.

should have more goods on the way here next week

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 11-22-2018 at 01:12 AM..