Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #61
rollout240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (31)
rollout240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rollout240
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayNLow View Post
If your factory line was leaky and the pump was sounding fine and it changed after your install then your pump is bad. It happened to me also. Replaced the pump and all the noise went away. If you have a spare pump try it out. There is NO way you put the hose on wrong unless you either didnt tighten it or you kinked the line. And I am sure they are using the right size line because power steering specific line is only available in -6an.

yeah ill check it out on that one. my old setup wasnt leaking so i dont think it's the pump. although i have no clue what they were using as fluid before. it might be PS fluid instead of the ATF. but good to know or have an option thanks. ill post up results.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #62
lok
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
I am interested in doing this myself and the info in NJ was great... However, I would also like to do the 2 smaller hardlines on the rack... believe these are for cooling also.

any info on what the thread pitch is on these?

-Drew
an lines for the 240sx power steering and relocation - NJTuners.com

Low Pressure:
EAR-351008ERL 10ft of -8AN Pro-Lite 350, Braided Nylon
EAR-900208ERL -8AN Econ-O-Fit,blue
For the s13 chassis, you'll need two extra fittings. The s14 has a power steering cooler on the low pressure side, whereas the s13 is just a line going back to the reservoir. The cooler is just an aluminum tube that runs across the front of the subframe and back. The s14 can use a hose clamp (econ-o-fit) or whatever, but the s13 needs the following.
EAR-9919EFJERL -8AN to 16mm x 1.5, AN to Metric fitting adapter, blue
RUS-610101 45degree -8AN to -8AN, aluminum, nickel plated
Comments: About 2-3ft of the hose was used. For the s14, you'll need two Econ-o-fit hose clamps. For the s13, you'll need only one. The other end uses the extra two fittings.
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #63
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You really think I am that Dumb.... thank you... no really!

You obviously don't know what "I" am taking about...

Awww the 2 lines in the front look sooooo coool... how cute... But Why did you leave the other 2 in the BACK stock?

Yes... Brainasium... those!!!

-Drew
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #64
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
im wondering now, if i should just make a PS cooling system...

would it work if i were to instead of running the line from the pump to rack, i put a cooler in between that feed?

anyone know minimum length to mount the cooler to the say the numper support...?
Put the cooler on the return side. From the hardline return to the front of the car youll need about 4.5 ft of hose one way, 4.5 back. I mounted my p/s cooler right behind the piggy vent and i actually cut it out.
TMS, theres no reason for nissan to make the back lines a different thread diameter/pitch so 14x1.5 should be it.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #65
lok
Zilvia Addict

lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
You really think I am that Dumb.... thank you... no really!

You obviously don't know what "I" am taking about...

Awww the 2 lines in the front look sooooo coool... how cute... But Why did you leave the other 2 in the BACK stock?

Yes... Brainasium... those!!!

-Drew
eh miss read your post.

sorry.

last time i am gonna try and help you.

geez
Old 03-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #66
lok
Zilvia Addict

Mine is hitting my waterline from the water neck.

Its not leaking or anything but kind of wish they wouldnt touch.

"you never make them touch"

Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #67
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Put the cooler on the return side. From the hardline return to the front of the car youll need about 4.5 ft of hose one way, 4.5 back. I mounted my p/s cooler right behind the piggy vent and i actually cut it out.
TMS, theres no reason for nissan to make the back lines a different thread diameter/pitch so 14x1.5 should be it.
so i make it go...

reservoir>pump>steering rack>cooler>reservoir?

heres another thing...my pump...doesnt have that JOINT-OUTLET piece... ( JOINT-OUTLET,POWER STEERING PUMP - 240SX (S13) 1989-1994 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com , third diagram part # 49587) ... will this line still work without it...as far as the thread pitch goes anyway?

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #68
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Im thinking about getting this within the next week or so, Where can i get that second line at going to the rack, the one that's braided in the picture above from under the car?
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #69
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
Mine is hitting my waterline from the water neck.

Its not leaking or anything but kind of wish they wouldnt touch.

"you never make them touch"

Then figure out the thread pitch/size and an # and order one of these

to replace the straight adapter on your water neck.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #70
bassboy3313

Trader Rating: (0)
bassboy3313 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bassboy3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyshin View Post
Thanks for the link, that really helped.

High pressure:
(2 ft.) 130606ERL -6AN Power Steering Hose (blue Hose)
(2) 139106ERL 90degree -6AN Hose Fitting, Steel, zinc-plated
(1) 9919DFJERL -6AN to 16mm x 1.5, AN to Metric fitting adapter, blue
(1) 991954ERL -6AN to 14mm x 1.5, AN to Metric fitting adapter, blue

Plug in the part #'s (without the "ERL") at AN PLUMBING.COM and it comes out to $59.92 before shipping. Put it together yourself and save around $40. Earl's makes high-quality products. ISIS did come out with a great pre-made product first but this is definitely more affordable
Will these fittings and hose work? They are from racerpartswholesale.com and everything comes out to be even cheaper ($49.36 to be exact). Check it out.

High Pressure:
(2) AER-FCM4032 -6AN 90 degree reusable elbow fitting
(1) AER-FCM2240 -6AN to 14mm x 1.5, AN to metric fitting
(1) AER-FCM2241 -6AN to 16mm x 1.5, AN to metric fitting
(2 ft.) AER-FBC0600 -6AN Teflon Racing Hose

Also, what are the fitting sizes and line size to make the hose from the pump to reservoir braided? I have a spare braided line that was used as an oil return for a turbo that I would want to use for this line. Thanks.

Last edited by bassboy3313; 05-19-2010 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: ask a question
bassboy3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #71
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboy3313 View Post
Will these fittings and hose work? They are from racerpartswholesale.com and everything comes out to be even cheaper ($49.36 to be exact). Check it out.

High Pressure:
(2) AER-FCM4032 -6AN 90 degree reusable elbow fitting
(1) AER-FCM2240 -6AN to 14mm x 1.5, AN to metric fitting
(1) AER-FCM2241 -6AN to 16mm x 1.5, AN to metric fitting
(2 ft.) AER-FBC0600 -6AN Teflon Racing Hose

Also, what are the fitting sizes and line size to make the hose from the pump to reservoir braided? I have a spare braided line that was used as an oil return for a turbo that I would want to use for this line. Thanks.
No! You NEED power steering specific hose because it is rated at a lot of a higher pressure than regular stainless hose.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #72
bassboy3313

Aeroquip Teflon Racing Hose

Superior fluid compatibility, abrasion and corrosion resistance for reliable service. Made with an extruded Teflon inner tube that's compatible with a wide range of fluids, including hydraulic brake fluids. The hose has a bright stainless steel wire-braid cover that resists abrasion and corrosion, providing optimum dependability. Applications: Offraod brake, transmission, clutch, gauge, N20, power steering, hydraulic.

-03 specs: 0.14 Hose ID, 0.25 Hose OD, Max operating pressure of 3000 PSI
-04 specs: 0.19 Hose ID, 0.30 Hose OD, Max operating pressure of 3000 PSI
-06 specs: 0.32 Hose ID, 0.43 Hose OD, Max operating pressure of 2500 PSI

This was taken straight off the website. so you're saying that this -6AN hose rated for 2500 psi isnt good enough for power steering? Also, it says it compatible with power steering in the description.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #73
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Then figure out the thread pitch/size and an # and order one of these

to replace the straight adapter on your water neck.
i just replaced it with a 90* fitting from an old water line.

Works fine now and doesnt leak or touch.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #74
bassboy3313

^^^^^ where did you get your high pressure braided line from?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #75
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboy3313 View Post
^^^^^ where did you get your high pressure braided line from?
mine is an isis line for the power steering.

the one from the water neck is also isis.

I just reused one of my old taka fittings that was a 90*
Old 05-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #76
bassboy3313

ok. does anyone who has actually made there own high pressure power steering line have pictures of it installed or peiced together?

is it true that for high pressure a special machine needs to press the fittings onto the hose? cant the pressure fittings and the pressure hose be bought and peiced together just like any other braided line? as long as the fittings and hose are both rated for the correct pressure.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 AM   #77
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

I will admit, I did not read the description. But if its good for 2500psi, it should be good enough.
There are different ways to do high pressure hoses. I see that Isis crimped one end and assembled the other by hand(as it looks), some crimp both ends and some go together like regular ss hose.
I know Aeroquip has some high pressure hose and fittings that have a brass ferrule that you slip between the braid and hose, then install onto the fitting itself.
I used Earls PS specific fittings and hose. Went together similar to regular ss hose (I have not assembled regular SS hose before)
Here are a few blurry cell phone pics of the line I made for my high pressure p/s hose.

I dont have any pictures of mine on the car as my cameras are not good in low light areas.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #78
bassboy3313

do you know if the aeroquip power steering hose and fittings go together like normal braided lines do or if they have to be crimped on?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #79
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

No idea on aeroquip. Russels has a ferrule that goes between the ss braid and the hose itself, then put together like regular. Earls is similar to regular, just a bit tougher. Just do some research and you should find what you need.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #80
bassboy3313

alrighty. ill email the company. thanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #81
bassboy3313

they said the aeroquip lines go together like normal braided lines do. no crimping necessary. they assemble with hand tools and are perfect for power steering application.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #82
naibaf
Leaky Injector

naibaf is an unknown quantity at this point
So anyone have any tips on removing the hard line bracket? I have emissions and a/c in the car still and my gorilla hands won't fit down there. >_<

Edit: I just cut the hard line off then pulled it through the bracket, w00t!

Last edited by naibaf; 07-05-2010 at 04:24 PM..
naibaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #83
jonnybonds84
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
jonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Wondering how the hoses are holding up for everyone? Anyone experiencing any leaks???
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #84
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Just posting this in here. I bought a ISIS power steering line for my 2JZGTE 240sx. and installed it last night. WORKS PERFECTLY! no leaks, and it's nice to have P/s again!

the line is about as short as you would want it in a JZ/S-chassis car, but it works just fine.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #85
jonnybonds84
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
jonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to alljonnybonds84 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I just bought mine, still waiting for it.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #86
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
nddavis2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Ok I'm frustrated as hell right now. Put the isis hose on. Added atf into the reservoir, cut the car on. From here I turned the steering wheel probably 100+ times and the atf still has small bubbles all in it. I was doing this with the wheels off the ground. I cut the car off for a minute then started it again with a puff of smoke out of the tail pipe. Knew that wasn't good so I checked the oil and there's splotchy oil on it like perhaps water in it. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow to see if maybe water got in it and pray no damage was done as the car did not overheat. How in the hell do I get the bubbles out? I know turn the wheel back and forth but why is it not going away?

Ok let me add another detail. I have actually only been able to put in 3/4 of a quart of atf as well. The fluid level is not dropping as air comes out of the system either.

Last edited by nddavis2; 08-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: more details
nddavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #87
canx2k
Leaky Injector

canx2k is an unknown quantity at this point
For those of you who made their own ps line for SR20's, do you mind telling me the proper hose fittings that fit into the PS pump and the upper banjo mounting place (on my NX it's on the psgr strut tower).

Thanks for the help
canx2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #88
TheGrim
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
TheGrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheGrim
wondering if anyone used a washer on the rack side of the fitting for this line? I used the supplied washer with the kit for the fitting with the small rubber ring that goes into the rack, and re used the copper washer on the factory ps pump with the other fitting. Is this wrong? There is a slow leak on the rack side fitting...
TheGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #89
LaSuperSlow

LaSuperSlow is an unknown quantity at this point
going to try to build the p/s hoses(going to use the anplumbing material) for my hicas because i could never find the hose for the rear steering. just wondering on the fitting for the rack does it have to be a 90 degree or can i put a 45 degree(because the one that MadScientist posted in the pic looks like a 45)??? also would the fitting adapters be the same ones since the pump and rack are diffenent from the non-hicas 240's i think they are but just want to make sure before i buy the stuff
LaSuperSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #90
sidedrifts13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (29)
sidedrifts13 is on the path to ruinsidedrifts13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sidedrifts13 Send a message via Yahoo to sidedrifts13
my high pressure line is holding up great but recently my return line has been leaking im thinking of replacing it anybody has any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybonds84 View Post
Wondering how the hoses are holding up for everyone? Anyone experiencing any leaks???
sidedrifts13 is offline   Reply With Quote