Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #391
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
feal taiwan coilovers....ughhhhh
I wish I could neg rep you every time you post bullshit like this
Old 09-24-2018, 05:46 AM   #392
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Started seam welding and cage work this weekend. This car is pretty beat up, and the sound deadening really didn't want to come up, so there's a lot of hammering and wire wheeling to do.

I plated all the way around the strut towers. It was a major pain haha.

First bar in!

I understand now why most people don't do these, and pro drift cars just lop off everything behind here and use tube. This angle is silly.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #393
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
More seam welding, more wire-wheeling, messed up my first two attempts at main hoops. I think I've got it down now. Good thing DOM is reasonably cheap.

Oh and I found the only rust hole.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #394
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thats a lot of seem welding. Nice work. I might get bored and do a lot on my car this winter. I don't own a mig for no reason.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #395
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Thats a lot of seem welding. Nice work. I might get bored and do a lot on my car this winter. I don't own a mig for no reason.
The car already jacks up differently, I would definitely suggest it!

Just received one of the very last DFRT bumpers produced. The line is now discontinued and this was one of the last three to ever enter the States. A big thanks to John Thomas of Corner 3 Motorsports for letting me snag this thing. I got the dry carbon canards as well, I just didn't feel like unwrapping them yet.

Joe and I traded crossmembers, and with some modifying he got the rack to fit. I'm going to be building a tubular one with a 350Z rack after all. I think I'll produce a few if I can gather some interest.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:25 AM   #396
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I can't wait to see this complete, been seeing your post for yearsss

http://milktea-man.com
KevinEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #397
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinEdgar View Post
I can't wait to see this complete, been seeing your post for yearsss
Thanks man, there's definitely been a lot of ups and downs!

Took some time yesterday to finishing up the seam welding in the engine bay and wheel wells. Then I started in on the firewall, after which I'm debating on going through the entire underside... You can see the difference between the 220v welder I'm using now and the 120v I used a year or so ago, which is frustrating but oh well haha. Also bent my main hoop with some help from a friend last weekend. It's not in it's final position in the pictures as I still have to remove my center roof brace so it can sit as close to the roof as it should. Reinforced my clutch pedal just because.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #398
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
I may pull my pedal this winter and re-inforce it. Doesn't seem like it would ever hurt.

Also, if you plan on wire tucking the car, make patch panels for the triangles behind the strut towers. Helps keep things much cleaner.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #399
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I may pull my pedal this winter and re-inforce it. Doesn't seem like it would ever hurt.

Also, if you plan on wire tucking the car, make patch panels for the triangles behind the strut towers. Helps keep things much cleaner.
Definitely on the to-do list, thanks. All the wiring will come through where the factory engine harness does, and all the rest of the holes will be patched. Aftermarket heater core going in and that’s about it!

Old 10-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #400
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Did a mock up of my rad and intercooler. It looks like everything is going to work as I envisioned it. Drawing some inspiration from the time attack guys here, but I should be able to duct the intercooler/rad/oil cooler from the front bumper and out the hood. Then I'll be able to "tune" the amount of air that actually gets into the engine bay via bumper blockers. We'll see how complicated it gets as I make more progress. I'm going to put the mockup engine in and get a rough idea of turbo placement this weekend.

Had to say goodbye to this.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #401
tuzzio
Post Whore!

boy do I love me some v-mount.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #402
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
boy do I love me some v-mount.
Haha thanks. It's not quite v-mount as the rad and intercooler are tilted the same way, but the same concept in that everything is vented out the hood.

Made some small progress tonight. Got the mockup engine and bellhousing in.

In case you forgot what it looks like in the bay.

I could actually push it back a little farther if needed, which is nice to know.

The radiator, oil cooler, and intercooler will all be stacked like this. This is definitely not their final position, as they all will move up and be slightly less leaned forward than this, but it's a good mockup. I'm really, really excited, as this is almost exactly how I envisioned it.

I do wish the turbo was a little smaller dimensionally, as it's going to basically be smack in the middle of the air duct, but oh well.

Thanks to the GKtech sway bar's ability to be clocked, I can position it so it's out of the way of everything.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #403
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

This is hard, but fun!

Old 11-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #404
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
sick build bro
Old 11-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #405
Z3NKI

Z3NKI is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow that wiring makes me warm inside, what's the technique?
Z3NKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #406
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
sick build bro
Thanks bruha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3NKI View Post
Wow that wiring makes me warm inside, what's the technique?
It's called concentric twisting. This is my first multi-layer harness. There are 69 conductors in all.

Not perfect due to a couple of factors, but pretty awesome for what it is! Main branch with V25:

New vs the old I was "copying":

I also started a three layer ignition harness the other day.

Needless to say, all the wiring in my S13 is going to be handled like this as much as possible. It's very interesting planning it all out and seeing what can be done. A lot of the times it's easier to run the larger wiring (e-fans, etc) in their own separate harness. I'm really looking forward to laying it all out!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #407
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Would you think that method uses a lot more wire length and thus more weight? Albeit probably negligible.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #408
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Would you think that method uses a lot more wire length and thus more weight? Albeit probably negligible.
It’s basically negligible. For every 100cm of wire, it comes out to 90cm after twist. So 10% more weight for all the benefits is well worth it.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:39 AM   #409
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Wow, haven't updated this in over a year. I still have this thing, haha. Just now getting back to a point where I can work on it again. I'll be acquiring a MIG welder in the coming months and can finally finish up the fabrication on the front end. Also considering buying one of Chairslayer's pre-bent and notched cages so I can actually get that done. So updates soon!

I've been up to a lot of this lately.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #410
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Have you considered potential radio interference issues with the twisted wires?
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #411
RedSled
Leaky Injector

RedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-known
Are the wire you are twisting a special type or can any harness wiring kit purchased be done the same ?
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #412
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Have you considered potential radio interference issues with the twisted wires?
Twisting actually helps cancel interference, so it’s even less of an issue than with a normal harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
Are the wire you are twisting a special type or can any harness wiring kit purchased be done the same ?
I’m using m22759 spec wire, so it it special, but you can do it with any kind of wire if you want. I will say that wire with rubberized outer coating is really frustrating to do this with, as it really grips the other wire when it bends, and doesn’t like to stay twisted.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #413
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Twisting actually helps cancel interference, so it’s even less of an issue than with a normal harness.

I’m using m22759 spec wire, so it it special, but you can do it with any kind of wire if you want. I will say that wire with rubberized outer coating is really frustrating to do this with, as it really grips the other wire when it bends, and doesn’t like to stay twisted.
I'm not an electrical engineer, but I think that's outside frequencies jumping into the wires that twisting prevents, I meant interference between wires in that loom.

I don't think that you'll have a problem with low voltage jumping, or at least not a noticeable one, but on the other hand, we ground things and tune and love and hone and polish and wire and all that to get fractions of a horsepower.

Many harnesses cannot be twisted, and though the voltages and frequencies are totally different the classic example are plug wires, which must cross cleanly but not wrap around each other in order to avoid inductive crossfire. In my experience twisted wires in harnesses are very rare, and are usually totally dumb constant voltage wires that only go very short distances, ie. console light or lighter power, and it's usually just two wires, no matter how large the harness is. Things that are susceptible to interference usually have strait wires tied into tight bundles, and if they're very worried, a grounded sheath over the wires, under the outer loom.

Just thoughts and observations, not saying it's wrong or to change it. It certainly does look good.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #414
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I'm not an electrical engineer, but I think that's outside frequencies jumping into the wires that twisting prevents, I meant interference between wires in that loom.

I don't think that you'll have a problem with low voltage jumping, or at least not a noticeable one, but on the other hand, we ground things and tune and love and hone and polish and wire and all that to get fractions of a horsepower.

Many harnesses cannot be twisted, and though the voltages and frequencies are totally different the classic example are plug wires, which must cross cleanly but not wrap around each other in order to avoid inductive crossfire. In my experience twisted wires in harnesses are very rare, and are usually totally dumb constant voltage wires that only go very short distances, ie. console light or lighter power, and it's usually just two wires, no matter how large the harness is. Things that are susceptible to interference usually have strait wires tied into tight bundles, and if they're very worried, a grounded sheath over the wires, under the outer loom.

Just thoughts and observations, not saying it's wrong or to change it. It certainly does look good.
Actually every top tier motorsport (WRC, F1, Drifting, IMSA, etc) uses twisted harnesses, either concentric or parallel. The benefits are greater flexibility, small package size, and superior strain relief. Also CAN bus harnesses require twisting to function properly. The only sensors that require shielded wire are piezoelectric sensors (knock) and magnetic triggers. The shielded wire is just incorporated into the twisted harness in these cases.

Plug wires are a special case.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #415
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Actually every top tier motorsport (WRC, F1, Drifting, IMSA, etc) uses twisted harnesses, either concentric or parallel. The benefits are greater flexibility, small package size, and superior strain relief. Also CAN bus harnesses require twisting to function properly. The only sensors that require shielded wire are piezoelectric sensors (knock) and magnetic triggers. The shielded wire is just incorporated into the twisted harness in these cases.

Plug wires are a special case.
Interesting, I hadn't seen that before.

I realized some of the shielded looms I'm thinking of are also high voltage, like diesel injectors, so I suppose the shield over the whole loom is to keep the interference in, not out.

Do you have a background in electronics or wiring? I'd be interested in the jigs or techniques you're using - I enjoy wiring, but you're way over my head.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #416
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Interesting, I hadn't seen that before.

I realized some of the shielded looms I'm thinking of are also high voltage, like diesel injectors, so I suppose the shield over the whole loom is to keep the interference in, not out.

Do you have a background in electronics or wiring? I'd be interested in the jigs or techniques you're using - I enjoy wiring, but you're way over my head.
If a "background" is about three years of studying and experimenting, then yes, haha. Just started building harnesses for people after many requests, and I really enjoy it. Really can't wait until I get the fab work done on the S13 so I can start rewiring all of it.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #417
DJDANGER24
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
DJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJDANGER24 Send a message via MSN to DJDANGER24 Send a message via Yahoo to DJDANGER24
Awesome wiring man, looks great!
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #418
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDANGER24 View Post
Awesome wiring man, looks great!
Thanks!

Been working on getting the garage re-organized and cleaned up so I can give these two things some attention again.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #419
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Old 05-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #420
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Soooo....whats the deal here??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote