Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #19831
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Since were on topic, is there an inspection I can do on my rotor/cap to tell if I need to replace it? Started my car today and it slightly shook on an interval; I felt it when I sat calmly.

(I posted about this some time ago and was suggested to check fuel lines and vac pressure. I dont have the tools or the expertise for that; so, I figure I should try the things I can.)
DJTTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #19832
LKing

Trader Rating: (0)
LKing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Image1464838586.176380.jpg

Removed rear hub (doing 5 lug conversion). This came out and looked a bit damaged. Do I need it or no? If so what is it called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #19833
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing View Post
Attachment 93362

Removed rear hub (doing 5 lug conversion). This came out and looked a bit damaged. Do I need it or no? If so what is it called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/ is your best source for the blown up assembly diagram. You might want to hang on to that. Input VIN, search part, and look at the assembly to see what it is by name. You will probably figure it out fairly fast
Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #19834
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So my s13 headlights aren't turning on and highbeams aren't working. They go up and down and the signals come on. I'm guessing it's the headlight switch on the steering wheel? Also fuses aren't blown.
AllThingsGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #19835
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone know how to inpect/ test the diff bushing on a S14 for excessive wear or play? I have a spare subframe with ES bushing already installed and would like to test the integrity of the differential's rubber. They APPEAR to be in good shape, but it would suck to find out otherwise once the subframe is back on.
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #19836
yzrider450f
Zilvia Member

yzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of lightyzrider450f is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsGravy View Post
So my s13 headlights aren't turning on and highbeams aren't working. They go up and down and the signals come on. I'm guessing it's the headlight switch on the steering wheel? Also fuses aren't blown.
Bingo.

Take it apart and hit the contacts with some sandpaper, it'll be pretty obvious where the corrosion is.
yzrider450f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 AM   #19837
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Anyone know how to inpect/ test the diff bushing on a S14 for excessive wear or play? I have a spare subframe with ES bushing already installed and would like to test the integrity of the differential's rubber. They APPEAR to be in good shape, but it would suck to find out otherwise once the subframe is back on.
The same way that you would check any suspension bushing. Jack up the rear of the car and use a pry bar to try and move the diff around. The results can be subjective, but if you feel that the diff moves around easily and there is a lot of flex in the bushings, then they are worn. By comparison, polyurethane bushings like ES are nearly rock hard and will hardly move when loaded.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:42 AM   #19838
Habibi240
Zilvia Member

Habibi240 is an unknown quantity at this point
In refrence to the headlight switch on steering column . My lights work they pop up when I turn the lights on but when I turn them off they don't lower . I'll have to lower via turning motor knob then hit the lights and they pop back up and run fine I think it's the switch
Habibi240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #19839
zombiewolf513
BANNED

zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Your motors are going bad
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #19840
izzy-
Zilvia Member

izzy- is an unknown quantity at this point
Are these bride brix authentic? "Made in Japan" tag missing for some odd reason. Im trading my bucket seat for this. Stitching look on point.

izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #19841
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
bride brix 1 seats were never knocked off... its a genuine bride.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #19842
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
The same way that you would check any suspension bushing. Jack up the rear of the car and use a pry bar to try and move the diff around. The results can be subjective, but if you feel that the diff moves around easily and there is a lot of flex in the bushings, then they are worn. By comparison, polyurethane bushings like ES are nearly rock hard and will hardly move when loaded.
Thanks for the reponse sir, but I'm not sure how accurate my assumptions would be given the subframe is off the vehicle, and without a diff.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #19843
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thanks for the reponse sir, but I'm not sure how accurate my assumptions would be given the subframe is off the vehicle, and without a diff.
Then shouldn't you be able to visually inspect the bushings to see if they are worn or torn apart?
Old 06-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #19844
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
They APPEAR to be in good shape, but it would suck to find out otherwise once the subframe is back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
Then shouldn't you be able to visually inspect the bushings to see if they are worn or torn apart?
I mention it in OP. Bushings look good with no tears, but thought I'd asked anyone with experience on inspecting these. Figured why just assume, when I can least ask first.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #19845
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I mention it in OP. Bushings look good with no tears, but thought I'd asked anyone with experience on inspecting these. Figured why just assume, when I can least ask first.
If that's the case, I would simply change them now. It doesn't make sense not changing them if the diff is already out and the sub frame off the car.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #19846
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
If that's the case, I would simply change them now. It doesn't make sense not changing them if the diff is already out and the sub frame off the car.
I would of Nissan sold replacement bushings, my research has guided me to a Poly Subframs & rubber diff comination.(cars is a DD of 90 miles a day) Megan hard rubber is/ was a option but the reviews put me off.
Thanks for the reponses guys, glad to see some people are still helpful nowaday.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #19847
izzy-
Zilvia Member

izzy- is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
bride brix 1 seats were never knocked off... its a genuine bride.
Thanks for the reply
izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #19848
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
any recommendations for rear s14 rotors?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #19849
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Here's a novel idea:
You have the subframe out of the car. Change out those diff bushings with stiffer ones and don't bother trying to figure out if the current ones are good or not. Seriously, buying new, say, Energy Suspension or other diff bushings is a no brainier considering the ease of replacement with the cradle out
Old 06-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #19850
TonyToniTuna
Leaky Injector

TonyToniTuna is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wanted to let people know who happen to browse through here that about month or so ago I was having some high idle issues. Car would warm up and just sit at 2k even when it was warm. Turns out my TPS was bad. It was reading 2.14v at closed throttle when it should have read .45v. I swapped it out and 0 issues.

Just for anyone having a similar problem who happen to come across this.
TonyToniTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #19851
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

AllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider450f View Post
Bingo.

Take it apart and hit the contacts with some sandpaper, it'll be pretty obvious where the corrosion is.
Alright cleaned them and still doesn't work. If I touch a screw driver in between two contacts kinda like arcing them the left one turns on. I'm stumped
AllThingsGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #19852
black'N'proud
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
black'N'proud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a s14 with a s13 sr20det swap. How do I mount the n62 ecu inside the car? The brackets are different from the factory s14 mounting spots, thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #19853
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by black'N'proud View Post
I have a s14 with a s13 sr20det swap. How do I mount the n62 ecu inside the car? The brackets are different from the factory s14 mounting spots, thanks in advance.
take the brackets off your old ecu, and bolt them to the new one
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #19854
KA24sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

KA24sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
On my hatch i have 50mm rear and 40mm front fenders. I want to buy 16x10 wheels but dont know what offset to use to make them fit( with out spacers)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #19855
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
You need to learn how offset and width relate. Then you can browse through the couple fitment threads here on Zilvia and use other people's fitment to achieve what you want.

Here's a theoretical example: you find an S13 with fitment you want to achieve. It has 50mm overs and 16x9 +0 that fit perfectly. A 10" wheel is 25mm wider than a 9", meaning that there is 12mm more wheel both inboard and outboard. To make up for that extra 12mm outboard, you compensate with +12mm offest. And voila, your 10" wheel will fit the same as the 9" wheel.

Keep in mind with overfenders, they can be mounted higher, lower or bowed. So your 50mm overs may not fit the same as someone else's. Keep that in mind when using someone else's fitment as reference.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #19856
Psychomoongoose
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Psychomoongoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Had a strange issue with the rear end. The driver side axle stub popped out!!! When I was driving!!! It still had the snap ring thingie on it and everything. Upon removing the axle I was not aware that popping off the dust cover was really easy and the whole thing will just come apart. Now I know. I bought a new CV shaft. They're early J30 units, 5 star and Rzeppa style.

Anyhow, I tapped the axle stub back in and re-installed the "new" CV shaft and the car drives fine.

Why would this happen? My car is not TOO LOW, its not like im tucking 18s or anything. Almost, but not.

Do you guys have any experience with this happening? Hopefully this is a one time, freak occurence.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #19857
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

I have some rubber grommets plugging up holes in my trunk, but I noticed that theyre starting to dry out since the car lives outside in the sun. Does anyone have any idea of a spray or coating I can put on there to prevent it from doing that?

I was thinking of doing a layer of clear coat. What do you think?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #19858
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
I have some rubber grommets plugging up holes in my trunk, but I noticed that theyre starting to dry out since the car lives outside in the sun. Does anyone have any idea of a spray or coating I can put on there to prevent it from doing that?

I was thinking of doing a layer of clear coat. What do you think?
NOPE! go get new ones.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #19859
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
NOPE! go get new ones.
Thats my thought on the new ones*, but I dont want to keep replacing them. I had these mounted like 3 weeks ago.

*the clear coat idea
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #19860
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

clear coat wont help on rubber. rubber dries out and goes hard, its just the nature of the material.