Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #61
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
SR2oD3T is making a name for him/her selfSR2oD3T is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via MSN to SR2oD3T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 240 View Post
nice work

I cant give you much feedback on how dynamat sheet compares to Lizard Skin type products. I'd assume dynamat sheet is more for a sound barrier as opposed to heat.

For heat, it's a combo of things. Yes the Tranny creates heat, but the LS runs about 20-50* HOTTER than the SR in it's normal operating range. 235* is considered acceptable by GM, shoot the 2nd fan doesn't turn on til 235* IIRC. not to mention, long tube headers run right below the floor pan as well.

If you want it manageable, do something about the firewall, floor and trans tunnel. Just from experience in my car, no heat shielding, no sound deadening on floor or firewall, replacement carpet with 1/2" jute padding the car will get hot. Longest stretch of driving in the summer (only 90*) was an hour and I was drenched with sweat.

You have everything stripped already, it would suck to have to pull it all out again later. Just my $.02
yea I don't think im gonna go dynamat as those are for sound more than heat. Lizardskin seems too much work. I wanna go with the stick on type instead. i think i'll do tranny tunnel both sides, the floor and the firewall just the interior side for now and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvarath View Post
I was thinking about using the 3m undercoating, did you use the proffesional? Also my tubs are bare metal right now, should I shoot primer down then the undercoating or just the undercoating? I'm thinking primer and undercoating

its the spray can 3M undercoating i was using. recommended by the paint supply shop. i'll try to get a picture of it later on. very easy to use. i just wire brushed the surface to clean up any dirt or mud, compressor air to blow it off and finish cleaning it with a wet tower. then just spray it on. i wouldn't use primer on this. coating stays pretty well even on bare metal. excellent product from 3M.
SR2oD3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #62
Hoonigan19
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Hoonigan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice progress man! love seeing some good work putting in. Are you a mechanic? seem to know quite a bit!
Hoonigan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #63
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

SR2oD3T is making a name for him/her selfSR2oD3T is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan19 View Post
nice progress man! love seeing some good work putting in. Are you a mechanic? seem to know quite a bit!
lol thanks man. i worked in a shop for two years but not anymore. got couple of ASE licenses and dropped off. learnt a lot of basic from those two years but most of my knowledge are from self learning. asking questions on zilvia.net and got flame, ls1tech, silviav8forum, google, youtube etc. and of course Todd @ fueled racing and Yuri @ wiring specialties answered most of the swap related questions.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #64
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

week # 14

the weather has been taking away a lot of my project time here and there. I have to plan out my days real good so I can get the job done for the week, especially painting.

this 03 Z06 shown up at work as a trade in and I got a chance to drive it

I've been dreaming of how my car will feel like after the swap. but the project is just taking forever. its good that I can feel the power of the 405hp LS6 so it motivates me to speed up on my project. this thing pulls!!!

also couple of the battery relocation parts came in. and I got my redtop optima battery.

down to business. final sand down the primer, mask and get ready to paint.

cant do much the first day, have to wait till the sun comes up on the second work day after everything dries off.

factory black for the engine bay, wanna keep it simple. nothing crazy like green or gold, just not my type.

here we go.

i did 3 layer of base coats.

now for the clear coat.

cant take picture while shooting the clear cus the clear coat is floating all over the places, but here's after the clear.

turns out alright. its just difficult to make it perfect as there's a lot of uneven spot in the bay. or just my skill level isn't there yet. some wet sand and buffing will make it perfect but I'm not gonna do that. i think its good enough.

and here is a quick summary of this 2 months almost.

i'll let the paint dry for a week until i do anything on it next week. looking to finish the fuel system, heat insulate the tranny tunnel and wiring work. i also just dropped another $2.5k for some more goodies. I'm excited!

thanks for watching.

Last edited by SR2oD3T; 03-13-2018 at 07:41 PM..
Old 12-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #65
ellopuppet
Leaky Injector

ellopuppet is an unknown quantity at this point
The bay looks mint in the pictures bud. I am guessing we have to wait to see what the goodies are? This is definitely one of my favorite build threads this year.
ellopuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #66
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice work on the engine bay. It's looks almost factory.
SoundEfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #67
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
That came out really great. Great job dude.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #68
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

thanks guys. i always wanna make things close to factory looking but function better. good stuff arriving today!! stay tuned..
Old 12-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #69
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

week # 15

got some work done this week but ls1 is still not in yet. lets start off from some goodies I mentioned.

finally pulled the trigger on the pbm pro coilovers. I wanted to replace my old tein ss for a while just didn't get a chance. my rear upper arm is rusted preventing me from getting lesser camber than -2, toe arms are off brand from pre owner. its just about time to replace them all together.

also the gold reflective heat insulation from Thermal Protection Inc arrived. most people go with DEI but from my research, this is more legit. its not cheap either. but i'll rather go with the best that I can get. here's the link and they show a good comparison.
http://www.thermalprotectioninc.com/...ive_Films.html

I wanna finish the fuel system first. I got the long fuel kit from fueled racing to completely replace my fuel line from the fuel pump. even tho Todd told me I don't need to drop the tank or anything, I still dropped my subframe for easier access and I need to do my rear suspension arms anyways.

I wanna be super careful on this so I marked everything and verified with todd before I take off anything. but the fuel pump already have a small arrow pointing the direction of the fuel goes.

there were four lines here. rear brake, fuel feed, fuel return and fuel venting.

factory hard lines out. both feed and return.

wasted some time on cutting the braided lines. hard to get a clean cut and put on the fittings. long story short, went home deport got some right tools and line goes in.

for the new filter location, no one can really give u any advise of where to put it for liability reason. I installed mines next to the frame rail. I might fab a under tray later on to protect it just in case.

while going under the car, I got my wife to sand down the booster. ready for some fresh high heat paint.

after couple months of taking part off the car. here comes the first assemble part. new wildwood clutch master from fueled racing.

brake booster and lines went in. along with wiper motor and factory vin plate.

now back to the motor. taking the t56 out to install clutch line and re check all bolts.
got into the first speed pump when I was trying to install the rack onto the crossmember. the fitment is so tight that the rack is touching the oil pan. I swear I read someone mentioned that before. but long story short, i just need to put everything in the engine bay before i try to align anything. theres no way that i can align the crossmember now. (ignore the cake)

as usual, here's how it sits, waiting for the new heart...

looks like weather is gonna take away one of my project day again this week. but for sure the swap will be in no matter what. just cant do anything until the swap is in. then will come wiring depends if the schedule allow. was hopping to have it fire up in 2015, but i think its gonna be in early 2016.

thanks for watching.

Last edited by SR2oD3T; 03-13-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Old 12-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #70
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
drewr4411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Keep up the good work.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #71
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
From your pictures it looks like you are using the pushon style fuel fitting.

You should use this style because you wont be relying on the plastic little insert.

Trust me. I dont know why that old style is still being sold. This was my car and EVERYTHING in this swap was brand new and quality except the engine/trans.

C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #72
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anderson View Post
From your pictures it looks like you are using the pushon style fuel fitting.

You should use this style because you wont be relying on the plastic little insert.

Trust me. I dont know why that old style is still being sold. This was my car and EVERYTHING in this swap was brand new and quality except the engine/trans.

Damn my heart sank seeing that
Old 12-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #73
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I made a thread about this and referenced it before. Unfortunately Anderson's car was one of many that it happened to. I setup a thread on in the Techical Forum to help avoid this issue. Such a shame that a beautiful S13 or any other car would be ruined cause of a silly failure of design.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #74
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

oh DAMN!! that is NOT gonna happen on my car. that is crazy to see all the hard work got burn down in front of u. im gonna take a picture of the one that I have later on this week and see. also I m so getting a fire extinguisher inside the car after seeing this. sorry to see your loose and thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #75
super240sx7185
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (83)
super240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
Same fitting failed on my ls1 kouki years ago spraying gas everywhere. Luckily it didn't catch fire.
super240sx7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #76
Livid_240sx
Leaky Injector

Livid_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep extinguishers in your cars, people.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #77
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wicked work as usual.

I don't know what I would have done if fire takes my car away from me.
SoundEfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #78
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Honestly a fire extinguisher would have not helped one bit. As soon as it caught I got out of the car, went to the front to pop the hood and the interior was already engulfed. The only hope I had in this instance was a plumbed fire supression system. Fuel fires are the worst.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #79
Mr.s14.5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Mr.s14.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Such a awesome build props to you man, I look forward the updates every week. Keep up the good work and to the op of the fuel fittings thanx for the heads up.
Mr.s14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #80
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.s14.5 View Post
Such a awesome build props to you man, I look forward the updates every week. Keep up the good work and to the op of the fuel fittings thanx for the heads up.
thanks for following, and here it goes for week 16!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #81
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

this build thread is getting longer and longer as there are some good suggestions from many people. the start up day is just keep pushing back in a good way cus the build will be more solid and problem free. christmas week was wet and cold. i still spent 2 days working on it. knock down some task, ran into some more speed bump.

installed clutch lines, double check all bolts, tranny back together.

MGW shifter installed. i don't see i have much room after the swap is in if i don't do this now.

putting heat insulation in the tranny tunnel. the toughest part of it was raining and damn cold laying under the car.

found a good place to put my hot chocolate to keep myself warm.

not pretty but got the job done.

i think the heat most people get are from the header on both side not the tranny getting too close to tunnel as the header will seat right under the panel without heat shield from factory. but we'll see.

the swap quickly goes back in. i leave the crossmember loosen while dropping it in. still fighting for properly aligning the swap. cus there's many ways to adjust it and the fitment is tight.

while the ls1 is in the bay just sitting on the crossmember, i spent some time repairing the harness. a common problem for lowered 240sx. get it ready to tuck in the driver side fender.

also put on all pbm control arms. all bolts are un tight now as i just ordered SPL eccentric lock out bolts to replace the factory cam bolts.

trying to replace my inner joint on my pbm lower control arm.

also spent some time to take off the masking tape i put on almost 4 months ago on the manifold holes. it was PITA as the tape got dried up and came off in pieces. spent like an hour just on cleaning that up.

how it sits now after week 16.

not sure how much i can do on the coming week as i only got one day off. also waiting for some small parts to move forward. waiting for packages on come in on christmas days is gonna take forever. got a small shipment shown delivered but never got it. other package just delay and delay. i think i will spend some time to proper adjust my crossmember and the swap. looking to finish up tucking the factory harness and get it ready to wire up. order screw on type fuel fitting. finish relocating the battery in the trunk. i'll just do what i can.

thats it for this week. thanks for watching. merry christmas and happy new year everyone!!

Last edited by SR2oD3T; 03-13-2018 at 07:55 PM..
Old 01-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #82
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
sub'd. Looks great, keep it up!

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #83
1993fdrx7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
1993fdrx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
What made you choose the fueled kit over sikky or cx racing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1993fdrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #84
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Sikky is 4x the price
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #85
1993fdrx7
Zilvia Addict

1993fdrx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn I thought sikky and fueled were the same price

1993fdrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #86
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Im just talking, I could be wrong. But i know for sure the CX is way cheaper
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #87
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993fdrx7 View Post
What made you choose the fueled kit over sikky or cx racing?

He answered this questionon page 1 of his build. I know because I am the one who asked him.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewr4411 View Post

I will Definitely be tuning in for this one!

Glad to see more LS1 builds going on.

Can you chime in on why you chose fueled racings kit over SIKKY or anyone elses?

i was about to go for the sikky kit before i found fueled racing. I'm sure both are GOOD quality parts, i want the BEST however. when i do a deeper research, here's what i found.

Answer

1. Fueled racing kit sits lower and further back, closer to the fire wall.
better weight balance on the whole set up.

2. no tranny tunnel hammer require if any.
my opinion, if the kit require hammer to create extra space, the kit wasn't engineer right. and i see i lot of people have to pull the swap out multiple times to re hammer the tunnel which i wanna avoid.

3. better ground clearance.
everyone will want this. a lot of people damaged their manifold for going too low, which is very common on 240sx. mine's will see some track drifting time, maximum clearance is need. (they always just came out with a better clamp on the exhaust than the older v band. even more clearance for the area connecting from header to y pipe.)

4. works with front factory sway bar.
again, if a different sway is needed, the kit wasn't done right.

5. excellent reviews
i spent a lot of time researching on both kits. both have great reviews and they are all happy customers. however, 95% of them did not tried both kits. i found 2 people that actually used both. both said fueled racing has better quality kit overall in fitment and engineering.

6. tech support.
Todd is extremely helpful to answer all of my annoying questions. he always pick up his phone and reply my email (even its 11pm) and spends his time to explain everything make sure u completely understand. very professional.

there could be more. i haven't install the kit yet but I'm already happy with it so far. I'm confident on their product.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 AM   #88
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Im just talking, I could be wrong. But i know for sure the CX is way cheaper
I have notice that also... but with cheaper dosent always mean the best options. I would like to see a thread where people all chime in about what kit they used to do their swap with.

SIkky
Fueled
CXracing
Cooks
ebay

etc.

Last edited by drewr4411; 01-04-2016 at 07:50 AM..
drewr4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #89
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
If I remember correctly, the CX Racing kit had all sorts of Oil pan clearance issues.........and not to mention inconsistent header fitment, tranny tunnel clearance issues, etc. By the time you spend all the money and time making the kit fit to ones OCD level, you could have bought a kit that fits properly.

CXRACING LS swap kit for 240sx
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #90
drewr4411
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
If I remember correctly, the CX Racing kit had all sorts of Oil pan clearance issues.........and not to mention inconsistent header fitment, tranny tunnel clearance issues, etc. By the time you spend all the money and time making the kit fit to ones OCD level, you could have bought a kit that fits properly.

CXRACING LS swap kit for 240sx
Im on page 12 of this thread now.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=461019&page=12
Tons of issues with the initial kits but they seemed to listen and make changes as the kit sold more and more. I will need to continue reading to see what the final conclusion is of the kit.

Sorry OP for the off topic convo. Im just not as baller yet to buy the fueled racing kit lol.