Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
240m3srt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
240m3srt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Why wont my sr20det start after driving it 30min?

Cliffnotes at the bottom...i tried to search with no sucess.

OK. So i have a 95 240sx with s13 sr20det redtop. Its more a toy than anything so i only pull it out of the garage a few times a week and drive it around for 5-10 min then park it back. Under these circumstances it cranks right up and runs great.

Well i decided to venture out for a 30 min drive to the mall and shut the car off. Low and behold it wouldnt start. The water temp was fine. The car would crank so im pretty sure its not the security system because usually that wont allow the car to even crank. I can hear the fuel pump comming on...its almost as if it wasnt getting spark. BTW i have 4 brand new coilpacks. I try to let it cool down for 30 min but still it wouldnt fire up. It was getting late so i spent $95 getting it towed back home A few hours later i walk back outside and it fires right up like nothing ever happened....arggggg.

Advice? To my best guess something is shorting out when it gets hot from the long drive. I thought maybe it was a faulty ignitor chip but if that were the case the car wouldnt even run...right?

Cliffnotes: car will not start when it has been driven for longer than 20-30min even though it seems to be getting fuel and the starter is cranking.
240m3srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
because it hates you

serious...

nvr mind it cranks right?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
change
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (15)
change is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240m3srt View Post
Cliffnotes at the bottom...i tried to search with no sucess.

OK. So i have a 95 240sx with s13 sr20det redtop. Its more a toy than anything so i only pull it out of the garage a few times a week and drive it around for 5-10 min then park it back. Under these circumstances it cranks right up and runs great.

Well i decided to venture out for a 30 min drive to the mall and shut the car off. Low and behold it wouldnt start. The water temp was fine. The car would crank so im pretty sure its not the security system because usually that wont allow the car to even crank. I can hear the fuel pump comming on...its almost as if it wasnt getting spark. BTW i have 4 brand new coilpacks. I try to let it cool down for 30 min but still it wouldnt fire up. It was getting late so i spent $95 getting it towed back home A few hours later i walk back outside and it fires right up like nothing ever happened....arggggg.

Advice? To my best guess something is shorting out when it gets hot from the long drive. I thought maybe it was a faulty ignitor chip but if that were the case the car wouldnt even run...right?

Cliffnotes: car will not start when it has been driven for longer than 20-30min even though it seems to be getting fuel and the starter is cranking.
im experiencing the same problem! anybody else?
change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Enemigo
Zilvia Member

Enemigo is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the same problems with my Skyline.. the problem? the damn battery terminals were weak and corroded.. i would suggest getting a new battery and possible some new terminals.. that worked out for me!..

PS... please check ur PM Shelton.. thanks.
Enemigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Instead of replacing the battery or getting new terminals, just clean them with a wire brush and make sure they are tight. Any loose terminals will cause the car not to start.
Luvs2slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
what do you spark plugs look like?

Replace them then come back and let us know.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
240on430
Zilvia Member

240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
does it ever fail to crank when cold?
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
240m3srt
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240on430 View Post
does it ever fail to crank when cold?
no sir. it ALWAYS cranks. it just wont fire up after its been driven for more than like 20 min. really dont see how itd be the plugs but might be worth checking out...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
Check the ECU for codes yet?? Wierd problem.. Clean as many electrical connections as you can. Maybe your fuel pressure is off for some reason? Is the car even getting fuel after this no-start shit happens???

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
bluemax

bluemax is an unknown quantity at this point
car starts when its cold? yes?
car runs fine (all warm-up) until you shut it off and then you cannot start again? yes?
wait till car cools down and you can start the car agagin? yes?

check your coolant sensor that goes to the ecu

hope that helps..enjoy
bluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
PhopsonNY
Leaky Injector

PhopsonNY is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem... my thoughts so far

From What I have found out there are three main areas to look at.

Fuel... (probably not)
maybe a bad pump or fpr, but i doubt it.
On mine these are both new so I know it is not that

Clutch relay (probably not)
If your car was manual before the swap, you have one of these...they go bad. Check if you hear a "click" from the relaybeside the intake side fuse box.
If you get this, then it is ok.
If you had an auto before, you don't have one of these unless you deliberately put it in.

Bad grounds. (possibility)
the Starter grounds through its body to the engine block... maybe when it gets hot, the ground contact is not being made.
May have to make a dedicated ground wire for the starter.

Bad starter.(very possible)
When hot, hit the starter with a hammer while key in start location.
If it works, then you have a bad starter. You can swap the internals from a sohc starter to repair or replace with a brand new one.

Hope this helps you.

I will found out over the 4th weekend.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #12
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
car starts when its cold? yes?
car runs fine (all warm-up) until you shut it off and then you cannot start again? yes?
wait till car cools down and you can start the car agagin? yes?

check your coolant sensor that goes to the ecu

hope that helps..enjoy
I doubt its the Sensor, if it was, the car will also run like ass once its warmed up.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #13
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
got my money on a cam angle sensor or ignitor, don't guess it's not getting spark, test and see if it's not getting spark. after verifying no spark, borrow a friend's ignitor , two plugs BAM, if still no spark, make sure the ecu's getting power, should have a red led that lights up with the key in ON position. if ecu lights up, try a known good cam angle sensor. test until you find the problem, don't guess. good luck
Dave
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
Automato
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Automato is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i had the same problem. on a cold crank, it starts fine, but when the engine is warm, it won't start up. once i let it cool down for like an hour or so, it starts up fine. i was told that it is the coolant temperature sensor, so i bought a new one, and it seemed to work fine for me.
Automato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #15
domo dorigato
Leaky Injector

domo dorigato is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to domo dorigato
i've been having the same problems as well. had the alterntor changed since the battery wasn't charging... then something was draining the battery so i checked grounds and replaced my battery terminals. i also had the starter checked too... so far it's okay.
domo dorigato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
drift_ricer
Banned from the Marketplace

drift_ricer is on the path to ruindrift_ricer is on the path to ruin
it could be the main rely. because sometime u drive for a while, the main rely getting hot. once u park and turn off the car, it won't start up. I know for sure it will crank. after a certain time later it will start like nothing happen.
drift_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #17
240m3srt
Zilvia Member

ok guys i know for sure its not the starter, battery, battery terminals, or ignitor chip.

where is the main relay located?

and does anyone have a stock FPR they can sell me for cheap just so i can elimnate that possibility?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #18
240m3srt
Zilvia Member

i just swapped my buddies relays into my car. i swapped the underhood and underdash relays. it didnt make any difference. the car still wont start once its been driven a while.

can anyone tell me where the coolant temp switch is located?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #19
bananamonkey

Trader Rating: (2)
bananamonkey is making his/her stupidity well-knownbananamonkey is making his/her stupidity well-knownbananamonkey is making his/her stupidity well-knownbananamonkey is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just to double check if you checked the car for spark when cranking did you run the car until it wouldnt fire up then test each spark plug to see if the ignition is bad?
bananamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #20
rps13drift
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
rps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Its could be the coolant temp sensor. I had a problem with cold starts and the only way to get her going was to step on the gas like a carb'd motor!
rps13drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
daryl337
Zilvia Junkie

daryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura aboutdaryl337 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to daryl337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rps13drift View Post
Its could be the coolant temp sensor. I had a problem with cold starts and the only way to get her going was to step on the gas like a carb'd motor!
+1 on that note.

your car cranks over, so you dont have a starter issue/Neutral Safety Switch (clutch start sensor)

It sounds like it is temperature related from what you described. Check for spark.

*edit**

Both the coolant temp sending unit and switch are located on the intake manifold under the T-Body.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #22
Cyberzen

Cyberzen is an unknown quantity at this point
@ 240m3srt, so did you ever find out what the issue was with your car? I'm having the same issue with mine, if i drive it for 10+ minutes or anytime for that matter and attempt to start it again within 2 hours it won't start. just cranks and cranks and cranks but nothing. sorry for reviving this mega ancient thread, but in zilvia tradition i used the search button and something came up!!!
Cyberzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #23
Cyberzen

bumpy bump, would like to hear you guys input..
Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #24
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberzen View Post
@ 240m3srt, so did you ever find out what the issue was with your car? I'm having the same issue with mine, if i drive it for 10+ minutes or anytime for that matter and attempt to start it again within 2 hours it won't start. just cranks and cranks and cranks but nothing. sorry for reviving this mega ancient thread, but in zilvia tradition i used the search button and something came up!!!
Yeah you might have searched, but you're using it wrong! You didn't even mention if you pulled codes! Or did anything to repair your problem. Reading and comprehension skills, should be a prerequisite! MHO.
There are a few things to try that are posted in this thread, I would start with pulling codes, and change the ecu coolant temp sensor, even if you don't have any codes.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #25
Cyberzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Yeah you might have searched, but you're using it wrong! You didn't even mention if you pulled codes! Or did anything to repair your problem. Reading and comprehension skills, should be a prerequisite! MHO.
There are a few things to try that are posted in this thread, I would start with pulling codes, and change the ecu coolant temp sensor, even if you don't have any codes.

Havent pulled codes from the ecu yet, was actually looking into how that was done. found a thread that specified how to do this on the 95, going to go pull the codes now. i saw that a couple of people mentioned, the coolant temp sensor. thing is my car doesn't have a coolant temp sensor, well it has it just not wired up to the ecu. i have no idea why its not connected and its just hanging out on the piping. checked for fuel, fuel pressure is 45 psi when ignition is turned to on. checked for spark, I'm getting spark on all four plugs.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #26
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When I mention ecu coolant temp sensor, I mean the 2 wire sensor and if it's not hooked up? That's part of you issue right there.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote