Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #631
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Love dis.

Long live the WOLF
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #632
kunt_masha
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kunt_masha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
just read the full thread, dope build!

I saw media on this car and knew there had to be a build somewhere.. nice work! glad you did some grip driving too, people underestimate it.
kunt_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #633
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunt_masha View Post
just read the full thread, dope build!

I saw media on this car and knew there had to be a build somewhere.. nice work! glad you did some grip driving too, people underestimate it.

Hey Thanks a lot!!! Grip Driving is a lot of fun.... I always tell people if they want to really shake down their car... Track it for time... Everything that is a weak point in your set-up will be revealed. For Instance... My brakes suck.. I need better pads firstly...But would benefit quite a bit from a decent BBK. In Drift...that doesn't affect me in the slightest right now..
Old 12-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #634
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^^^ So true. I took my M3 to a HPDE's and figured out in less than half a lap why it wasn't easy to drift.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #635
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update!!

Dressed

Bumper was smashed to smitherines....

Bash Bar Ripped off going off course. It'll definitely be needing some love in the off season. But at least I got some well needed Seat time. I finally hit my goal of linking the "Judged Section" of HTM. One time...but still better than 0 times haha. Solid Plans for the off-season already in the pot.

Stay Tuned! More Updates soon!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #636
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Looks like so much fun. But sheesh, drifting does take a toll
Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #637
SR20DETsilvia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
SR20DETsilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I rarely comment on anything, let alone follow/read whole build threads but damn dude!

Hats off to you for the time and effort you put into this build. Unfortunately in Alberta its winter and temperatures aren't the most enjoyable for building cars in an unheated garage while temperatures are around -20 C or lower. The build gave me motivation to keep mine going! Thumbs up A++++
SR20DETsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #638
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

Been Getting all my ducks lined up for the upcoming season. Plans are as follows:

Get the Fab work done to the front end done ASAP: including...

-Re-configure front Bash Bar Frame Plates
-Re-configure the Bar its self to fit the new Aero

Once the Fab work is done The car can go off for Paint!!

Still 100% sure where it's going for paint but I have 3 strong Candidates

ONce car comes back from Paint I'll be pulling the LIM off and porting it to the upper. Still Not 100% Changing to a Cosmo LIM/UIM Configuration yet.

If So New rails are in order..FFE they will be.

Test fit the new Aftermarket Industries Fuel System(All lines/lift-pump/surge tank & pumps/filter/lines'fittings etc)

Putting it all back together.

IF and a big IF i have time...Re-do my Intake Piping.

Re-dyno tune and see what the wolf puts down at 30psi!!

New rear brake pads for the hydro set up...

New front tires and of course....more rear rubber.

I will need to purchase another trailer between now and rnd 1 though. I sold my current trailer to fund my new Aero.

Pis just because =-)

Prius full of Authentic Aero...not happy about authentic aero price...but VERY happy it came with a partial sponsorship and is VERY nice. Havn't seen anyone with this stuff yet! Test fit was spot on..... LOVE it! But no peeks till it's painted for you guys!!

Damaged Bash Bar

And Been helping Abel get the Semi PPort EFR9180 Rx3 Idling and revving out smooth as ever. This thing is going to put down some serious power.

Also helped Abel straighten out a 3 Rotor FC. The car drove really badly when he first got it...had some major electrical problems with wiring and the tune was all over the place, so Abel fixed everything and re-tuned it. The car is just stupid fast and spins the 295's like butter....even at speed...

Old 12-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #639
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Well at least it wasn't any worse then a bashed up bash bar and duct work. Also, if you want an EFR8374 externally gated, I'm selling my brand new one that didn't fit in my Z build. just a thought. Keep it up, man!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #640
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

The car has had an externally gated 8374 for about a year now
Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #641
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Hah well then I'm too late! Any rough date on when you'll be unveiling the new aero?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #642
dphoto

dphoto is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude. I have to tell you, I've been following your build occasionally for a long time and then kind of lost track of it. Just spent my morning going through the whole thread. You've really inspired me. No stranger to racing and the automotive seen, and have been a big fan of drifting as a spectator for years and years, but never a participant. About a year ago I moved to LA from Denver and also bought an IS300. First RWD car(being from Colorado, that whole scene is all about AWD and straight line performance). You've inspired me to pursue this project and drifting a lot more.

Your car is amazing. Your determination, attitude, and positivity are even better. Keep up the good work.
dphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #643
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphoto View Post
Dude. I have to tell you, I've been following your build occasionally for a long time and then kind of lost track of it. Just spent my morning going through the whole thread. You've really inspired me. No stranger to racing and the automotive seen, and have been a big fan of drifting as a spectator for years and years, but never a participant. About a year ago I moved to LA from Denver and also bought an IS300. First RWD car(being from Colorado, that whole scene is all about AWD and straight line performance). You've inspired me to pursue this project and drifting a lot more.

Your car is amazing. Your determination, attitude, and positivity are even better. Keep up the good work.
Thanks!!! Thats why I try to keep up with the build logging.... To inspire and touch other enthusiasts. Ca is def one of the mecca's of the scene! lots of support for drifting out here!! Let me know if you need any advice! I'll let you know where to go..and where not to hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
Hah well then I'm too late! Any rough date on when you'll be unveiling the new aero?
Nope...Just focused on getting the Car back to Competition spec. did a full inspection of the damage and realized that my Radiator is pushed back about an inch anda half.. The Brackets themselves are bent and not even touching the lower hoop mounts any longer. This is top priority. WHile I'm at it...I'll probably be re-doing my Upper Intake set up and turbo outlet & I/C Charge piping. The Bash bar mounts need to be redone..and so does the Bash bar. Although I really wanted to just re-paint the car and drive it.. I'ts important that these things be fixed before the beginning of the season. I don't have a huge budget so I might have to skip the P.I.M.P paint job and throw that cash into fab work. Story of my life.... but one day the wolf will be looking like a prime time hero.!!!

Stay tuned!!!

More Updates soon!
Old 01-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #644
dphoto

dphoto is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll have to take you up on that sometime. I hope to see this beast at some events in the coming season. Totally open to shooting it too. Trying to get back to shooting cars in some of my down time. You can check out some of my pictures in the personal gallery on my website.

www.danapennington.net
dphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #645
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small Update:

Not much to report....but there is quite a bit brewing in the pot for the upcoming season. I'm looking forward to the progress myself =-)

Here is a sneak peek of the new skirts!

And somehow.....by the gods I managed the sweetest... kick ass deal of the new year and scored a 24ft Enclosed Trailer....with electronic brakes and all!!

Just need to give it a nice wash... make some Wheel/Tire racks and a little work bench. Get a little Tool box and I'll be good to go!
Check it out!

Stay Tuned!!! More Updates soon!

Big moves!!

Also...if any of you guys want to follow me on IG for a little quicker updates! you can find me at #AaParkah
Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #646
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What kind of deal did you get on that trailer? I still need to buy a tow rig before I can get a trailer
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #647
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small Update:

Finally got around to cleaning up the trailer and addressing a few of the smaller issues with it.

But first....the trailer needed a good cleaning in and out.

went and picked the trailer up and gave the outside a good scrub washing. Took note of a few things in the process:

There are 2 brand new tires...and 2 Old Cracked tires...
The two old tires need to be replaced.. Last thing I want is to deal with some stupid preventable blow out.

Also noticed that there were a few little amber lights out. Those will be needing some love.
Scrapped all the little stickers off the back drop door...because they were hideously stupid haha.
And gave the Hitch a good look.
I'm not too familiar with these type's of hitches as most of my experience towing has been with 5th wheels and diesel trucks. But it looks as if I'm going to need a stabilizer hitch kit for anything over 5000Lbs. The trailer weighs 3900.. And My truck is a 2005 Ford f150 extra cab with what I think is a 4.6l V-8. I'm going to keep the Trailer relatively light just because I really don't need much in there aside from some essentials. Plan is to upgrade to diesel power in the next couple years. But I'm thinking my truck should be fine. Anyone have any experience towing without the Stabilizer bars? I found a hitch kit at harbor freight for 200 bucks. But i'm not opposed to buying a kit used. Also.. how about electronic brake controllers? I've seen a few recomended to me that are around 150 bucks... But really.. I don't need a ton of options. Just something that is safe, that works and does the job without hassle. If I can get all this stuff done under 300 bucks.. I'll be happy.
Electronic brake trailer module?

Hitch set up

looks like I'll be needing a battery as well.

Anyways.... after I washed the outside and noted some things I'll need to address with exterior.. I took the trailer back and opened her up. Started with a good thorough sweep job. Then went and purchased a cheap Mop, and scrubber and got to work. The entire floor has the metal Diamond plate covering.....which is actually in really good shape...it was just dirty and needed some grease lifting soap and a bit of elbow grease. Took me about 45 min to get the whole thing done without completely soaking the whole floor. I just worked in sections because I didn't want the soapy water to get under the diamond plate and start to rot the wood or anything. End product was good. Could still use some heavy industrial strength degreaser to get that squeeky clean look, but i'm happy with the outcome so far.
Next issue was the front side door wouldn't open. It was stuck shut. After inspection... it looked as if one of the wood screws had backed itself out and was now preventing the door from passing by the key set lever. Got my leatherman out and was able to pry the screw head out of the way and the door popped open. Replaced the hardware with some new self tapping hardware and the door opened nice and smooth.
front door open

After that.. I wanted to fix the fold down door because the little flap that evened out the tail gate (to transition to the floor making it easy to drive up) was un-even... half of the screws were either backed out or missing all together and the metal hinge was all bent up. I pulled all the screws out. Massaged the hinge with a big mallet... didn't take much. Used a bit of WD-40 to get it clean and moving with ease. Moved the entire hinge over to the left 2" so it had fresh wood/metal to bite and re-installed it making sure it was flush as possible and lined up correctly.
Came out pretty good.

Nice smooth transition now! Might need to reinforce that little gap with some extra wood if it flexes at all....but I'm thinking it'll be just fine.

After A good cleaning

I'm supposed to be taking the car down to RAD industries to get a bit of work done but I can't get the car down there until the trailer is safe to use. We'll see what I can make happen!

More updates soon!

Stay tuned!

#AAPARKAH
Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #648
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
NICE UPDATE! looking forward to more updates!
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #649
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

So It's a bit hard to keep up with the updates due to my schedule being so full. I literally wake up at 5:45 and pass out around 12:30 Seven days a week. But I wouldnt' have it anyother way.. and I am pleased to say that I am living every single day as much as possible! =-) Although I havn't been able to update much.... It doesn't mean i've slowed down with progress on the car. I recently decided that It's out of my resources and time/schedule to contunue trying to do fab work on my own. I'll do as much as possible..but anything to do with welding is just better done completely by a shop with the correct resources. So with that.. I'm proud to announce that i'll be partnering up completely with Rad_Industries out of Santa Ana. I've known the owner Dan Burkett for a while now.. and his capabilities have definitely spoken for themselves.
So!... There were a few thigns I've noticed on the car that need to be taken care of... The first is that The Bash bar needed to be fixed as it broke at the weld and ended up doing the opposite of what it was supposed to protect. It bent my Oil coolers back but Luckily DIDN"t end my drift day. So the bar needed to be re configured to mount securely and re-welded where it snapped off. It also needed a sturdy place to be mounted on the frame. Dan Welded some plates onto the front of the car to give the bash bar a sturdy foundation. I also wanted to raise the Radiator up off the floor for at least another inch of travel. Although I havn't had any problems hitting anything underneath the car in terms of vitals...(heat echangers oil pans etc) I still wanted to prevent it further ...just in case. So dan raised the radiator up roughly 2" by cutting the original mounts i made and re-welding them a bit higher. I also wanted to re-do my ducting because it needed to be a bit more sturdy under speed..and still do it's job. But with the Radiator 2" higher.. it closed the low pressure gap between the Radiator and IC... so dan moved the Intercooler forward a few inches and re-welded the Alum mounts to make up for the move forward..with angle. The New The outlets on the IC needed to be extended because of this.. so he exxtended those as well. Luckily the bash bar didn't need much modification to fit the new bumper.. Lucky eh? But here are some pics!!
New Mounts

New IC piping and IC position

from the top

I also purchased a nice little Electronic Brake controller for my truck. I was going to get a much more expensive one... but this one was rated high on Amazon with hardly any negative reviews....it was cheap.. so I picked it up. Install was a breeze.

Towed the car down to Dans shop in Santa Ana... sorry I'm out of Chronological order..
TONS of space in the Trailer.. and the truck pulled the car up some long stretches no problem! My F-150 has a 10,000lbt tow capacity....so I'll just keep the trailer as lightly loaded as possible. But I was happy and didn't feel like I was pushing the truck much either.

Covered some open wire with a bit of braided sleeve... (just the little things... Right Mike? ;-) haha)

And OMGDRIFT.com came out and shot the car... I thought they just wanted to do a couple shots.. but they did a full on interview with Video and everything. Took some rolling shots of the car and some extra throttle happy vid as well. The Feature should be coming out in the next few weeks or so!

I've also been trying to step up my Instagram game so if you guys havn't added me...My IG name is: @AAPARKAH

So whats coming up?!

I'm trying to convince Alex Rod to whip up the whips paint and body.. The new kit looks great..

And My Aftermarket Industries (FueledbyAI) Sp800 Fuel system will be on it's way VERY shortly here.. Can't wait to show you guys just....how....NICE..and quality this fuel surge system is. The pictures i've been sent of the machining is 100% TOP notch... with ZERO short cuts taken. The Owner.. Julian Austin is one of those guys who is as anal as the best of us when it comes to Design...but also Execution in Building his fueling components. His theme is Fluid Engineering...and he's got the Educational background to back that up. I can't wait to show you guys!! But I'll try and keep you guys as updated as possible over the next couple weeks. Going to be doing some new Front end ducting and doing the best I can on it. Stay Tuned!!!

More Updates soon!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #650
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small quick Update:

I've been talking to Julian the Owner of Aftermarket Industries (Fueled By AI) for a little over a year now and I've come to really like the guy. And the more I think about it the more I feel overly appreciative that he offered me full sponsorship. He's been sending me little nick-nacks of info on my fuel system. This will probably be the best designed fuel system I may ever install haha. Julian Takes Fluid Engineering serious!! and his education backs it up! Not to sit here and boast because he's my sponsor... But honestly... It's hard not to be a fan of the guy who's designing all the fuel systems that will be powering all of Mad Mikes Cars this season. And the best part is he's not skimping on my car because it's a pro-am car... he see's it just as important!! I'm Amped!!
Anyways...worked on the car yesterday all day and I'm going through the pics I took for a better update in the next day or so....Maybe even tonight! Stay tuned!
A little edit I did...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #651
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FD's are cool. This build is cool. Fluid engineering is cool.
I like it when people move on from modding to engineering. Maintains my faith in the import scene. Keep it up!
blackmags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #652
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

Soooo I've been working on a few things. Started with The design of my New Race Suit. I chose to go with a Sparco Jade Top. Not the highest quality suit but it does meet the guidelines for Pro-am Competition if I choose to enter! I'm Still a bit un-decided whether I should Go pro-am or just enter the street class. My car qualifies for both.. Just need to change tires. Other than that.. it's allll Gold.
I went simple... think Simple is best with this stuff. But does anyone know where I can get a Nice Patch Made of the "AI" logo? Possibly Iron on? I figured that would be the easiest.

Also took some detailed pics of Dans work. I'm really happy with it. Best part was How nicely it all aligned up.. The Hardware was brand new and I could Literally thread it in by hand till the end. I did end up trimming the Bolts just to eliminate the time it takes to tighten them down and pull them out...but Rock solid job. I can stand on the bar now without it flexing... and the Jack point is far more solid than it was. I'm happy.

Here was the Drivers side Oil cooler mount. Jacked!!!

Made another out of cheap strap alum and The cooler was back to normal. DIRTY!!! But normal. I'll get to cleaning before I start the new Duct work.

Another thing that bothered me was that the Rotary works elbow didn't have much of a smooth lip. My intake piping literally lines right up to the leading edge... but because the pipe cast is soo thick.. I felt like the incoming air was slamming into the outer edges before it could enter the elbow. Heres a before picture:

Used my belt sanders edge to slowly work the edge into a nice smooth entrance.

I don't know if that matters....but I care about it haha.
Also got to work straightening out all the bent fins on my IC and cleaning the end tanks that had become gross and dirty/grimy looking. Gave the New Piping some gold treatment as well!

Came out really good... Once again hats off to Rad Industries for the 1 day turn around on a list of things I needed to get done!

Next up was to check out How the new radiator mount came out. Hooks around and holds the radiator 2" higher than the Old mounts. Dan cut off the old ones and made this one. Simple.. Much stronger than the old ones and again... Gives me more travel than I had before. My main concern was the Lower radiator -16 An 90 Degree fitting. It was the lowest point on the radiator.. and although It had never hit anything.. My last event was a testament that I will end up off course the harder and more I push myself. Better safe than sorry. The AN fitting is now tucked away nice and high and the lowest point of my car is now a section of my exhaust and the engine sub-frame.
Don't mind the scratches.. all that happened when the bar broke off in the gravel.

I need to get my hands on some paint...but I'm afraid my local paint shop won't be able to duplicate my Hot pink Magenta. The last time I asked them....they had told me that they were unable to get the stuff anymore due to a law change in CA prohibiting the paint. Sucks. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.. But I'm going to ask for it again and see if they have any left over...hopefully!

Anyways.. More updates soon!!

Stay Tuned!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #653
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Check it out!!! OMG drift feature was released this morning!! GO check it out!! Woo!

http://omgdrift.com/feature-dopeness...rker-the-wolf/
Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #654
Flapjack

Flapjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Fantastic article, you seem like quite the nice guy, and an amazing car as well! Keep up the good work Parker!
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #655
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
How much longer would it be until we can see a mock up of the new aero?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #656
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Fantastic article, you seem like quite the nice guy, and an amazing car as well! Keep up the good work Parker!
Thanks! Yeap, I try to be as much as possible. It goes a lot way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
How much longer would it be until we can see a mock up of the new aero?

Thats a good question..... I havn't assembled it completely yet. Still waiting on a couple pieces truthfully. But I can say that I'm sure it won't disappoint! I was mm's away from posting up my Wheels for cheap to go with something new to complete the face-lift. But it's just one more thing that I'd have to worry about and I really like the Baz's. I am looking for another set of SBC RPF1's though... 18x10.5 +15 if anyone knows of any for sale.

Yesterday morning I started working on my New Ducting.. starting with the radiator. Carefully measuring.. I really wanted to one up myself this time around. But then I came down with some jacked version of the flu plague. Tried working through it and got a bit done..but went to sleep. Woke up countless times soaked... But I tried to wake up and put my garage work clothes on and there was noooo way. Shivering... with goose bumps.. my skin hurt. Look outside and it's unbelievably nice... freaking wasted a nice day sick. gahhh..

Anyways, I should be able to show some new aero pics within the next month or so. But I don't have much time to get this rolling. COmps start soon
Old 02-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #657
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

Well!!!! Geese....I'm pretty amped on the positive reaction just from people in general on the OMG feature. Aside from the owner Drew just being a solid positive guy, and getting to sit and chat with him and Caitlin.. I think the most exciting part was getting to show off my pride and joy. I hear people all the time say... "don't get attached to the car"...but I think thats a load of garbage. If your not attached to your car... in my opinion.... you're doing something wrong.
one of my personal favorites

I don't take enough interior shots...but heres a good one!

Anyways! that was Wayyyy exciting. And it's cool to see what people thing. I've also gotten some negative feedback as well. At first it really bothered me, but I quickly realized that there's no way to please everyone. I figured the people who really know what this is about.. will understand the car... even if it's not to their liking. And the people who make comments tagging another fd owner and saying things such as "this dudes copying you" or "copied your gates" or a million other dumb statements.... just want to feel like they're part of whoever is "Killing it." these days. Which... by the way has completely lost subtance to the masses. I've seen the phrase used for cars that deserved it. And I've seen the same phrase used for cars that limp ran once and someone got a pic of the occasion. But the car is defining the game....totally "KILLING IT." Gahh... i'm ruining my thread with this stuff. Lets get back on track!!!

I've been working on the front ducting the past couple weeks and came down with some nasty flue plague like sickness that took hold of me for the better part of a week and a half..and utterly ruined one of the nicest weekends i've seen in a while. But It's taking much longer this time around... Mostly because I'v been trying to resolve all the short comings of the last job I did. Always improve.... Making things function better....while pleasing my visual. But one of the short comings of the last design was the duct work would bow/flex/rise under speed. keeping air in is going to stress things. And the old mounts although I thought might be good enough....simply weren't. Speed tested the duct work up to around 130mph and although it stayed... Eventually the thin mounts and lack of support just took it's toll on the ducting and the moutns ended up ripping. I finally was using safety wire in a handfull of occasions to keep it from straying too far...but I could tell efficiency had dropped below what I'd like. SO it was time to fix the probs!!! The car deserves to be maintained. So when the Front bash bar failed.. and I decided tomove the IC forward....it was the perfect time for new ducting.
So here's where I started..I wanted the duct work to extend the width of the bumper opening so was unable to use the old sheet alum I was getting because it wasn't wide enough. I went to Lowes and purchased the much larger 24X48 Sheet. And some Alum Window frame/seal track stuff that was right next to it. Figured I needed a better mounting system. I'd cut this in half and use it to sit as a mount on top of and cupping an edge and being strong enough to maintain that hold at speed without flexing.

tons of measuring

I wouldn't really advise using an angle grinder while working with stuff like this..but it's really all i've got and i'm pretty good at it by now haha

the outline of the Upper Radiator plenum/duct scribed into the sheet

my new method of making precision bends haha. Much better than using flat pliers. Using the support piece i'll be using for ducting.....i'm using to bend the sheet as well. These little clamps were 1.99 a piece at harbor freight. really useful!

smaller bend

First Mock.. I did this a ton of times.

Started making Slot cuts or whatever fabricators might call this....These worked well for my last set up so I figured to keep things cheap and to stay within the confines of my garage without having to outsource machines etc... I chose to stick with what i'm comfortable with.

this allows me to make bends wherever I may need...and not just straight kinks... but smooth flowing bends.
here's the start of that process... the duct goes on and off on and off again and again until I am satisfied with the progress and can move on. You could really spend and endless amount of time on this.... and I caught myself getting hung up on trynig to get a perfect flowing contour when I knew other thigns woudl affect that...so i'd force myself to move forward.

getting better...

I wanted the plenum to be a bit bigger this time around.

Here is a pic of the support window framing i'll be cutting in half and using to reinforce most of theduct work....and use/used to make straight bends with the clamps =-)

cut in half with angle grinder

where it'll Hook the outside of the IC

Drilled a Billion holes measuring out every 1/2 Inch and drilling

and installed a Billion rivits to keep it nice and rigid. NO AIR SHALL ESCAPE!!!!

I had to clean up all that on the back side otherwise there wouldn't be enough space for the lip to actually grab onto the and mount to the radiator. I forgot to snap a picture of that...but here's how it'll sit on the Rad...you get the point right?

This came out reallly good and I'm wayyyyy amped on how close it sits on the edge....and more importantly.. how strong it is

Outer shot of rivits

The top is nearly finished.... but I had traced the Shape of the Top...onto another sheet which I went back and purchased from Lowes because I needed more material. I also wanted to keep the same shape for the upper and the lower to keep things symetrical. I used the same process on the lower that I had used on the upper.

I am using the same L shaped mount as I did on the Upper bracket... just back wards to keep the lower from sliding up over the radiator...but at the same time....keeping strength and making it impossible for air to force the lower duct sheet out of position.

I'll be adding a few more rivits to this piece as well....But you get the point.

So that leaves me to where I'm at right now in terms of Progress on the duct work. I need to make sure to continue to take my time with it to make sure that I don't take any short cuts. I'm pretty confident in the work i've done thus far.... So the next step is to get both Upper and Lower EXACTLY where I want them and trace out the hardest part... The Side Sections. After that...it'll simply be a matter of supports and getting the thing mounted rigid enough.

Anyways..... More updates soon!!

Stay tuned!!

And always....thanks for the Support guys!

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #658
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update: "25 Hour Radiator Duct Job"

As the title states...... I'm not sure if I should be proud of this or if it's a pathetic outcome of what 25 hours will yield in terms of productivity haha. I kind of lost myself in the radiator duct. All the short comings of the last design..... were really eerrking me. So when I came across one of the issues.... I'd take a step back and ask myself how I could effectively resolve it. Usually this meant doing things the hard way.. making small trims.. pulling an extra rivet etc.... But what made the duct unusually hard was the fact that the fd engine set up sits roughly 2-3 Inches pointed towards the drivers side of the car. meaning it's not symmetrically located in the engine bay. Mazda did this to achieve weight distribution...(don't quote me on that....just from what I remember). Anyways... When we were making the IC and Radiator set up... we simply aligned the heat exchangers in a way to where they looked good and cleared everything we needed them too. That worked just fine. When I was doing the first ducting job... I remember one side of the ducting was roughly an inch and a half shorter in overall length.. So to make it look symmetrical... there was a lot of trimming to do. With the new duct... I incorporated those offsets into the equation. But the measuring part was a complete pain in the arse... and then riveting the sides... They had to be clamped Perfectly.. in order to maintain the shape.. otherwise it wouldn't fit correctly... one side may lift which would make it seat twisted etc. I must've taken the duct on and off 40 or so times. Everytime waiting for something to change. And it did.. I caught it a few times. A bad clamp... or the drill caused it to misalign. Either way... Instead of just saying "Screw it, move on." I kept going back and making sure the damn thing fit and would seat correctly. This was what took up most of my time. I remember starting on sunday morning at 7.. and around 9:30 I hadn't event pulled a damn rivet yet haha. But anyways... I finally got it finished. Check it out!:

Side Area.... the contours were tough to measure out on the flat sheet

Cut onto Alum.... I figured it'd be much safer to do the sides in two pieces because if I messed up... I'd end up messing up the whole piece and materials for this duct cost me just under 100 bucks.

Nice straight Bends.... Who say's you can't make it work in the garage?

These guys are really helpful. Each one is bent by hand to allow me to produce the shape scribed onto the side cut. I'm sure it's slightly off... but getting the sides to seal was a huge deal to me.

initial test fit

And this was why I took all that time. Where it all counts. This is without any fasteners holding the Duct onto the Radiator.

It was around 11:45 on Sunday and my buddies were on me all morning to come out and drive for their Birthday. I wish I could've been done. but I was taking my time on it and didn't want to rush it. Plus I still need an oil change... ye3a yea ....either way I should've hustled it up a little to get out there. Decided to go spend the rest of the day with them out at Balcony.

WSIR Balcony with Drivers: Micki Frial, Brandon Contreras and Ian Archer. Was definitely a good solid day. Just pumped me up to finish the ducting!!

Update Continued Part 2:

Brandon working on his freshly wrapped 14

go pro's all over

Mick in the longest lasting most solid and reliable 300+WHP SR 13 on the planet. going on some 13 Years.... Car runs flawlessly.

rippers

So I got all pumped up and dedicated the rest of the night to finishing the Radiator duct. Caught myself a couple times trying to cut corners. Took some discipline..but I made sure not to haha.
Sides fitted and a couple rivits pulled on each side.

side shot

And here she is, all sealed up with exhaust tape.

Installed

With New bumper opening

More Updates soon!!! Starting the IC duct ASAP.. shouldn't take as long now that I have the correct shape and Know exactly where I want it etc.

Stay tuned!!

Thanks for reading!!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #659
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Looks awesome. One thing I've always read in "race car engineering" is that the opening for duct work was supposed to be smaller than the actual item that the air is being directed towards, and then taper out larger, that way it makes it harder for the air to escape the duct, and is forced through the duct instead. Just food for thought! Love the build and the hand-on, home made approach.

However, being that the car is meant to travel sideways and not directy forwards into the air flow, i'm sure it's debatable on how much of a difference it would actually make, so maybe your design is actually better?

EDIT: Now that I look at it again your ducting actually is smaller at the opening and does taper outwards. I guess I was thinking of the sides of the ducting only. Probably is going to work great.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #660
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^ Hey there! thanks for the insight and the advice. I actually read the same somewhere. I can't remember where. But the Radiator duct opening measures 29" across and 5.5" high. That taper bottle necks from 29" to 23". Which is the size of the Intercooler core... Right where the taper starts... the Radiator duct Plenum opens up fron 5.5" to 9" as soon as it passed that bottle neck. I was hoping this would help with flow...Basically all I did was look at a bunch of pictures of ducting that included plenums and try to copy it. But it opens to 9" over the Radiator core face.. which Measures 23" X 12" high...with about 22" of the 23 and 11" of the 12" actually available due to the mating surfaces I used on the face to seal it. I'm thinking it'll work really well. But I'm looking at my oil cooler ducts and I'm really un-happy with that now. They're too short.. and flimsy.. and ugly.. and Now I want to re-do them. I just started on the Intercooler Duct...and It's going to be much easier. Once again, thanks for the Input!