Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #61
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Hanz-E-Brady
Oh also im that guy who comment on the 240 group about your build thread haha. Small world. Will shoot a message fridayish about the assemble bit.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #62
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
Sorry to thread jack but had to comment fully agree with you on the sentimental value of the car. Spent and learned a lot doing this and has shaped me more than I like to admit. BUT after this I think im done with a lot of mods, spent a lot of money and will probably buy a daily end of the year then have this has a weekend car. My biggest fear is some asshole driving and wrecking my front end or my perfect rear panels.
Not a problem man, I don't mind the photos or comments haha, its cool to see the interaction. And props on having a mindset of restoring the car and building it proper! Maybe I'll make it so some south Florida events when my cars done and we'll meet up!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #63
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Hanz-E-Brady
Yes, das me.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #64
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Well I haven't updated this in a minute but I'm still working on the car. I've had an insane amount of events to attend lately from work to my personal life and I've been trying to fit time for the car in to all of it.

Anyways, I've almost completed wet sanding all of the water spots out of my bay, I also decided to buy some Z32 brakes and a roll bar while I was finding stuff to spend money on since I can only sand for so many hours a day.

I also managed to break a toe working on the car yesterday so that's halting progress a bit, but the roll bar will be in this weekend broken toe or not haha.

Pictures!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #65
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Well turns out using a foot pedal with a broken toe is a bit hard, so that'll have to wait a few days which I'm not too happy about since I'm trying to get my car done before FL2K.

None the less, I still got some work done, I rebuilt my Z32 calipers. I'm still deciding if I want to paint the letters silver or not, I kind of have a thing for the flat black on its own.

So hopefully I can get my bay re-sprayed this week, once that's done all I really need to do is start putting the car back together, I've run out of things to buy for now.

Pictures.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #66
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Buy an sr/vq kit you know you want it. JOIN US!
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #67
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Buy an sr/vq kit you know you want it. JOIN US!
If I'm going to drop that kind of cash it'd be on a 1JZ or LS
Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #68
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
VG motors are easier to mount up to the 240, era correct and will hold like 500 ft lbs on a stock bottom end.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #69
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
VG motors are easier to mount up to the 240, era correct and will hold like 500 ft lbs on a stock bottom end.
But suffer the same issues as any old Nissan engine, if it's not a VR38 nothing is in stock.

The SR for example has no VVL cams and very few det available at the moment OEM or aftermarket, Manley is backordered on rods, virgin cores are borderline impossible to source, rockers come in sets of 2 every couple of weeks from Nissan, I could go on and on as a guy who spends 40 hours a week advising builds and helping customers source parts I can confidently say that building a 80-90's Nissan engine is one of the biggest headaches you could currently ask for, hence why I'd move on to a Toyota or GM platform as they have a much larger aftermarket with more competing businesses influencing production.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #70
dr_
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
dr_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
But suffer the same issues as any old Nissan engine, if it's not a VR38 nothing is in stock.

The SR for example has no VVL cams and very few det available at the moment OEM or aftermarket, Manley is backordered on rods, virgin cores are borderline impossible to source, rockers come in sets of 2 every couple of weeks from Nissan, I could go on and on as a guy who spends 40 hours a week advising builds and helping customers source parts I can confidently say that building a 80-90's Nissan engine is one of the biggest headaches you could currently ask for, hence why I'd move on to a Toyota or GM platform as they have a much larger aftermarket with more competing businesses influencing production.
Does Nissan attempt to keep up with the demand for parts for the SR20 due to hordes of drifters and other builders beating them down? Or do they just treat it any other platform in regards to production of parts vs. number of motors produced? I could only imagine the demand for SR parts is 100 fold vs. VG parts. Not to mention the VG's abysmal aftermarket compared to the SR.

Anyways, this is where GM will always dominate the swap debate. Half of Americans live within several miles of a store that stocks enough LS galore. Very convenient.
dr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #71
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

knowing Nissan though you can repurpose other parts for newer engines to work with the older ones. Its just a thought I know the VG makes alot of power on the stock bottom end. so you dont need to run cams for extra oomph. really the power in most engines is in fabbed stuff with proper measurements right? good head flow and custom turbo set up and they'll spool hard
Old 08-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #72
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
knowing Nissan though you can repurpose other parts for newer engines to work with the older ones. Its just a thought I know the VG makes alot of power on the stock bottom end. so you dont need to run cams for extra oomph. really the power in most engines is in fabbed stuff with proper measurements right? good head flow and custom turbo set up and they'll spool hard
But why put all the time and money into a dying platform that's already tired when you could take that 5-6k you'd spend building that set-up reliably and just buy an E-rod LS3 and make 500hp with a warranty?

This SR will probably be the last Nissan engine I fully build for a while, reliability and consistency is starting to really appeal to me as I get older.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #73
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Should just a build a KA
Old 08-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #74
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Sr's dont appeal to me for the opposite of what you stated. XD i see them as being flimsy and weak. and KA's are also aging. I am too! hahah

this all to say, I was talking to a mate last night, NIssan has a plethora of new engines to play with and I have a 2.0 duratec sitting on my garage floor.... alum 2.0 liter direct fuel injected and 180 hp from factory?>..... hmm
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #75
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Sr's dont appeal to me for the opposite of what you stated. XD i see them as being flimsy and weak. and KA's are also aging. I am too! hahah

this all to say, I was talking to a mate last night, NIssan has a plethora of new engines to play with and I have a 2.0 duratec sitting on my garage floor.... alum 2.0 liter direct fuel injected and 180 hp from factory?>..... hmm
Oh, I wasn't calling them reliable and consistent, they're the opposite, I was saying I'd never build another when compared the the reliability found with LS's or JZ's. The only reason I built my SR was because it was what I had at the time and it's what all the parts I have on my shelves are for.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #76
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
I built my ka but after this im for sure going 1.5jz or boosted lsx. I only built my ka because of the experience and rather have new built engine reliable @400-450whp vs a used swap at 300whp for the price. Just need my ka-t to get me around for the next year till I get an actual car to daily lol
Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #77
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Well if we're gonna keep bumping this may as well add some pictures, they're all cell phone pictures but I only get about an hour and a half of daylight to work and forget to bring my DSLR along.

Main hoop installed, TIG welded the bars, MIG welded the hoop to the floor and the boxes to the floor as well. The rear down bars will be moved to the shock towers to pass tech, they were only laid in for looks here, the S13 back seat supports suck to drill out.

I also dry iced most the sound deadening, I would've done more but I was tired and also was about to have a heat stroke in my car. I also cut the cat hump out of the floor for this corbeau seat I got for $100!

The floor isn't the prettiest but that's what happened with the cut, weld, and hammer method of fitting haha, I'm building my fixed seat bracket today so I'll update with that soon.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #78
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Well small update, but my roll bar is in and all of the chassis welding should be done for now, next is painting everything. So far I've decided on hammered black for my roll bar and doing raptor liner for the floor to hide imperfections, cut glare, and have a nice texture. I think that it'll go well with the color of the interior of the car (which I am keeping) I'll bump this with pictures when I finally have some!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #79
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Bumpity bump,

I finally got some time to work on the car, firstly I finally fixed the rain damage from painting my bay outside and that was a royal pain, I also splurged for my birthday and bought 90% of the parts needed for a GT2871r set-up I'm only waiting on lines at this point.

It feels good to finally be putting everything back together and seeing the work pay off.

Some paint pics,

Color 1

Color 2

And finally some clear to make it all super shiny!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #80
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist
Old 10-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #81
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist, Hurricane wrist
Was just about to comment about it lol, you guys are more north and centeral west right? Im right on the fucking beach close by fort lauderdale, its already starting to rain buckets. Scared a rock is going to fly and smash my hatch glass when it comes by

Quote:
Bumpity bump,

It feels good to finally be putting everything back together and seeing the work pay off.

Any plans for brake or harness tuck? I did my break lines behind the firewall inside the cabin. Looks super clean and breaks work perfect, was maybe 50 bucks in total. Beats paying 5x the amount for stainless lines or the chasebay kit.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #82
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Was just about to comment about it lol, you guys are more north and centeral west right? Im right on the fucking beach close by fort lauderdale, its already starting to rain buckets. Scared a rock is going to fly and smash my hatch glass when it comes by
I'm right next to Daytona lol, I'm fairly fucked.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #83
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the tin foil usage
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #84
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8 H8N View Post
i like the tin foil usage
Paper and tape are expensive
Old 10-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #85
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Oh then you're pretty fucked also lol, probably get the worst of it.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #86
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Paper and tape are expensive
and tin foil isnt
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #87
LaMaR-
Leaky Injector

LaMaR- is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm up in Jacksonville waiting for this storm. Stay safe you guys.
LaMaR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #88
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Oh then you're pretty fucked also lol, probably get the worst of it.
We're like orlandoish area or more central, me and Hanz see each other at events, or if I drive to mazworx. u be okay hanzolo

However I'm in Gainesville on weekends by UF, north central florida. Not too worried

Regardless, stay safe d00ds
Old 10-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #89
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Ft Lauderdale here, hope my 240 doesn't get flooded or worse.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #90
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Any plans for brake or harness tuck? I did my break lines behind the firewall inside the cabin. Looks super clean and breaks work perfect, was maybe 50 bucks in total. Beats paying 5x the amount for stainless lines or the chasebay kit.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but yes, I'll still be running the stock booster and master cylinder, but I got a set of the JSimpson (Basically unbranded ChaseBays) lines for like $80 a while back, and the guy even accidentally sent me the matching clutch line