Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > North Western States

North Western States Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #121
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Told you and sorry? lol

The WA - OR run was just going to be among friends and it wouldn't cost anything. I guess if it turned out to be a big thing, a small fee would have been started.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #122
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I combed over forced induction today. Probably not for me. Lol ls3 is like 5k to begin with. Boost is gonna cost me at least 5k . Maybe down the road. Lol 700whp will take a lot of mods too. Even if I went like l33 and twins it'd be more than I want to budget. I can always sell the ls and go to a different motor if I want boost and keep everything else the same. But! Parts came in. So, yay. Sorry for the shit pictures. Phone uploads kinda suck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_10156786370030322.jpeg (143.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275971269952.jpeg (150.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275970029921.jpeg (192.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275968629886.jpeg (194.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275968589885.jpeg (136.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275968549884.jpeg (184.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275968309878.jpeg (177.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275965829816.jpeg (180.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275961109698.jpeg (183.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg received_10208275960869692.jpeg (167.1 KB, 59 views)
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #123
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Nice. I'm jealous man.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #124
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostyMcZface View Post
I combed over forced induction today. Probably not for me. Lol ls3 is like 5k to begin with. Boost is gonna cost me at least 5k . Maybe down the road. Lol 700whp will take a lot of mods too. Even if I went like l33 and twins it'd be more than I want to budget. I can always sell the ls and go to a different motor if I want boost and keep everything else the same. But! Parts came in. So, yay. Sorry for the shit pictures. Phone uploads kinda suck.
race car parts! congrats!

I just got in a downpipe... waiting for my wideband to come in and then I'll take it to a buddy to have him tig in the bung.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #125
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Oh shyt, WYK is getting serious up in this bytch....

When do you think you'll have the boost installed and ready to go?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #126
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
Oh shyt, WYK is getting serious up in this bytch....

When do you think you'll have the boost installed and ready to go?
When I get my wideband in, I'm rearranging the garage and putting the car up on jackstands... When that happens, I'm pulling my oem exhaust manifold off and test fitting the turbo/downpipe and marking where I'll want the wideband bung welded in. And at that point I might as well start pulling the oil pan...

I still have a few small parts to gather, I'm hoping to have everything together in a few weeks time. I'm anticipating random things I've forgotten, so maybe in a month.

If all goes well, I'll have everything put together in 2-3 weeks. I'm going with the Nismotronic SA, that will come sometime next month.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #127
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Ok cool. Good luck man.

Why Nismotronic and not Nistune?
Old 04-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #128
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Ok cool. Good luck man.

Why Nismotronic and not Nistune?
I've always gravitated towards Nismotronic, my buddy Twisty recommended it once and when I dug into their wiki I fell in love. From a DIY perspective, they provide a lot of information and are very transparent with their system. I've looked at RS Enthalpy and Nistune in the past, actually a lot of the KA-T guys I know in the PNW recommend RS Enthalpy... My only turn off with RS Enthalpy is when I've tried to look up info on it, I felt like documentation wasn't readily available for the public.

I may be wrong about that and have looked in the wrong places, but I've always ended up back on Nismotronic's facebook group or their website reading what others are doing with it. Bluetooth? USB? The NEMU board even has an Ethernet port! What for? REMOTE TUNING!? I can literally book dyno time and have the guys at jktuned connected to their SA and do pulls on the dyno over the phone... that right there made me look at Nismotronic closely... They also offer an eTune service where you take street pulls and datalog, you send them the map and data via email and they'll make adjustments to the maps to get you started.

At this point, people have told me, well if you want to go DIY why not Megasquirt? Well, I'm not much of a circuit board geek... and I'd probably mess up a megasquirt soldiering things together and forgetting to do something... heh, my ADHD and all...
Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #129
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Oh, ok. I didn't know Nismotronic has all of those features.

I really wished Uprev developed their system for the older OBDI system because their system is very easy to follow and understand, similar to what you described.

The data logging and getting an e-tune is amazing.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #130
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

It's crazy how much money you save when you don't pay for your own food, gas, etc when deployed. Plus no income tax helps while out here. I did decide to order MCA X-Race coilovers, i think Josh said they're gonna do 7k / 3.5k, which sounds kinda soft but I trust em.

Nice downpipe! That's pretty kick ass Nismotronic has all that stuff. For the Z I know a company called EcuTek does etune stuff but I don't think they offer it for the 240. I haven't really read into how the ECU is modified on the S-chassis, I'm assuming it's a piggyback style? My Z is tuned with UpREV which just modifies the ECU, plus it'll store up to 3 or 4 different tunes, which I can change via cruise control buttons.

So much shit to learn. So little time. LOL
Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #131
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I haven't really read into how the ECU is modified on the S-chassis, I'm assuming it's a piggyback style?
They solder in a daughter board which turns the stock ECU into a full standalone. I'm assuming it's like how EPROM guys remove the factory chip and install a socket to accept custom flashed EPROM chips.

Quote:

So much shit to learn. So little time. LOL
Yeah! That's why I'm hoping to get a good base tune with the eTune service. Worst comes to worst I'll bring my car down to Intec Racing. I don't think Bob at Drift Office likes dealing with 240's anymore.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #132
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

I did 6K all around on BC Racing coilovers and love it. 7K on a 240 I get, but that 3.5K is a little suspect. To me anyway. In fact, I didn't know they could go that low.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #133
chris_240sx
Zilvia Junkie

chris_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice progress Wykydtron!

7k/3.5k seems pretty soft to me. Mine are 9k/7k I think. I like mine but sometimes I think I could go with a stiffer setup
chris_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #134
S30ZG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
S30ZG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_240sx View Post
Nice progress Wykydtron!

7k/3.5k seems pretty soft to me. Mine are 9k/7k I think. I like mine but sometimes I think I could go with a stiffer setup

Lol I have some HKS springs that are 12/10kg if you ever want to upgrade [emoji106]
S30ZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #135
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S30ZG View Post
Lol I have some HKS springs that are 12/10kg if you ever want to upgrade [emoji106]
You drive them on the street or do you track your car as well?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:16 AM   #136
S30ZG
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
You drive them on the street or do you track your car as well?

Oh no they came off some HKS Hipermax IIs I bought for the GS. They don't go very low so I switched them with PBM springs that are shorter so my car wouldn't look like a monster truck.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #137
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Ok, cool. It's just that when I see drag car set ups, they tend to have high spring rates like that to reduce the dips and plant the tires to the track.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:55 AM   #138
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Yeah I dunno, it seemed pretty soft to me too.. but half the companies said 8k/5k or 9k/6k etc but only MCA factored in my SPL arms, told me to even keep the sway bars stock for now and to see how body roll is because it might be too stiff. I mean they do some great work and their suspension is mostly designed for race cars that actually win, like their time attack S13. So I feel I should trust them. I hear they run on the stiff side so who knows. a 3.5k setup with their valving could feel like a 5k. Worst case scenario I swap to a slightly stuffer spring, but with how much driving I'll be doing in it between track, drag, and distance stuff like Modball Rally or Dustbowl Rally, they might work really well

Oh, and I vote for Drift Office. Great guys. Lo @ Intec has done some people dirty and I feel he cuts corners too often.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #139
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

True, even 5K is soft, but as you said, you can swap them out. Just remember to revalve them to the spring rate you have. That's one of the reasons why I like BC racing coilovers, they offer a +/- 2 spring rate without having to valve.

I wonder what Curry did while he was here in WA?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #140
S30ZG
Zilvia Junkie

PNW role call

Quote:
Yeah I dunno, it seemed pretty soft to me too.. but half the companies said 8k/5k or 9k/6k etc but only MCA factored in my SPL arms, told me to even keep the sway bars stock for now and to see how body roll is because it might be too stiff. I mean they do some great work and their suspension is mostly designed for race cars that actually win, like their time attack S13. So I feel I should trust them. I hear they run on the stiff side so who knows. a 3.5k setup with their valving could feel like a 5k. Worst case scenario I swap to a slightly stuffer spring, but with how much driving I'll be doing in it between track, drag, and distance stuff like Modball Rally or Dustbowl Rally, they might work really well

Oh, and I vote for Drift Office. Great guys. Lo @ Intec has done some people dirty and I feel he cuts corners too often.

I swear I heard Bob literally turns away s chassis now (like WYK said) and only works on newer cars like BRZs and Evos now? Lol they should rename the shop to Dyno Office since they don't even build drift cars anymore [emoji23].

As for Intec I think Randy Sissler(?) is their head tech now and I've heard he's a straight shooter. Ray @ Autohero doesn't even take people's phone calls and only does large projects now since he got sick of noob's showing up/calling about dumb stuff like boost leaks and essentially giving away free work since he's a nice guy.

Ugh I wish there was a sure fire shop to take your car to here in the greater Seattle area without having to worried about questionable workmanship [emoji30].

And don't get me started on UP Garage [emoji27]
Old 05-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #141
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Yeah because NW 240s are almost universally epic shitpiles, or essentially fully done and not needing any shop work anyway. I totally appreciate Ray and Bob telling people to fuck off.

Honestly, if you need a shop to build a 240 you're sorta doing it wrong. The beauty of these cars is that you can build a pretty decent build in your garage for relatively cheap.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #142
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

But that's the problem. What if you don't have a garage to build your 240?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #143
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
I've had a few friends up there do some stupid shit with the little 1-car-wide apartment garages.

Or make friends with someone who does.

We've built at least half dozen cars in my garage. Host all sorts of shenanigans here.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #144
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

depends what you wanna build. I have good friends that work at Concrete Customs. they're newer, know their shit. no dyno yet. I don't know if Randy works at Intec, but I do know him and he does good work, I just don't trust Lo and his tuning. He's shitty with how he treats people too. I won't tune with him. I'm sure if you talked to Bob or Bill at drift office and had a serious car to tune they'd do it. They're nice guys. Or go talk to the dudes at PSI in Portland. Phenomenal dudes. Also there are shops now that you rent stall space and DIY with their tools.

BTW, DAMN YOU, I believe I've decided to do a single turbo 5.3L L33(aluminum LS style chevy motor) instead. UGH. But it'll actually save me probably 4k vs the LS3 and make way more power. LOL
Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #145
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

When I lived on the East coast, finding other car friends was a breeze and hanging out and helping each other in as you said, what ever garage, was fun. But here in the NW, it seems as if everyone keeps to themselves and I'm the crazy one walking around talking to everyone.....lol

So at meets, all you meet are the young hoonigans with fucced up cars and older guys that say two words to every question you ask. So I don't know if it's just my personality clashing with the people from the PNW.

McZface, all I have to say is YOUR WELCOME.....lol
It's all about the boost life pimp....
Old 05-02-2016, 07:52 AM   #146
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Yeah seattle is nicknamed the frozen city or some shit because of people's cold personalities to other people. I totally get it. lol

and it actually won't be that bad of a build. short tube headers reversed on both sides, little custom exhaust work to a single ball bearing 76mm turbo, simple quality waste gate / bov setup, single exhaust all the way back with one cat and one muffler should keep it quiet and stealthy. black FMIC. mild cam, upgraded valve springs etc. stock everything else, 650whp all day on 92 plus the ability to tone it down to very low boost for shit weather. lol... and if I blow the L33 up, used ones are only like 700 bucks.

try joining like northwest nissans, or some cars and coffee pages like seattle cars & coffee, simplynwimports, VQFamily, below_average, northwest import scene, northwestZcar, nw Nissan and infiniti, Washington car meets, pnw cars and trucks, pnw car lounge, caffeinated cars, speconesociety pnw, nw car meet, show and race, evergreen outkats, seattle area car show calendar, Nissanpacific group, northwest Nissan syndicate, nwn motorsports.. those are just some of the ones in my FB feed I see lol
Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #147
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Damn.. I didn't know that was Seattle's nick name. Sometimes even in the forums you can see it, others hardly post anything....lol
I'm not saying that they are not cool, but that barrier is thick...lol

McZface, look at you now, making boost plans when not too long ago you were all 'N/A for LIFE!!!!' .... lol

I HATE facebook, but it seems as if that is the only place to actually find out what's happening. My only hope is that it's not filled with hoonigan kids.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #148
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
When I lived on the East coast, finding other car friends was a breeze and hanging out and helping each other in as you said, what ever garage, was fun. But here in the NW, it seems as if everyone keeps to themselves and I'm the crazy one walking around talking to everyone.....lol

So at meets, all you meet are the young hoonigans with fucced up cars and older guys that say two words to every question you ask. So I don't know if it's just my personality clashing with the people from the PNW.

McZface, all I have to say is YOUR WELCOME.....lol
It's all about the boost life pimp....
Yup it's called "The Seattle Freeze" it's like everybody just wants to get on their day, get out of the cold weather, relax and watch TV alone. Or play League of Legends until their eyes bleed.

In Bellingham, everyone was open to hang out or go down to the beer garden and have food and beers. Now that I'm in the Mill Creek area, idk who to hit up aside from the Shinchoku crew. I really don't like leaving a 5 mile radius of my house, traffic here sucks ass it's to the point where I just want a Ruckus and maybe a Yamaha 600 to get around West of i5... But I'd prefer car parts...

Maybe people hate dealing with the shitshow traffic and would rather not drive to a buddies house? Seattle is literally 17 miles from where I live, getting there at night is a 20 minute drive but between 7am and 8pm it's fucked. Even going to Highway 99 during the day it's like a 30 minute drive in traffic (mind you 99 is probably 5 miles from my house but everything in between is stop and go). It's much worse down in Redmond, the east side... 405, Factoria? Eff that place, when I buy stuff off CL anywhere on the east side I have to meet people after 8pm because I don't want to sit in traffic for 3 hours...
Old 05-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #149
e1_griego
Post Whore!

^Agreed.

Traffic is such a mess up there. I stopped going north for any sort of parts or deals because it's almost never worth the drive.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #150
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

I live in Redmond, so I know all about the traffic. Yet, I still make the effort. I love driving. In fact I just made a new CD to blast while I'm in traffic so that the time would go by.

It must be a Caribbean thing where everything, no matter what, is just chill. If you're in a situation that you can't prevent or fix, say traffic, then calm down and enjoy your music or thoughts. It wouldn't help getting worked up about it.

Also, I'm not saying meet up every day, but once or twice a month on a Saturday or even early sunday or something. Little to no traffic. IF everyone had that 5 miles from the house rule, then no one will see anything or any one.

It must be me....