Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid high idle wont go down

my idle is stupid high, all i did was take off the intake manifold and regasket it all and now the idle is at 2000 from start and hikes up even higher if it runs more. i tried turning down the screw, getting a new wire harness, adjusting the tps and it just wont go down. i heard it needs to relearn for some reason but i left the battery unplugged for weeks and i even tried my other ecu and its the same problem. i know a vacuum leak will cause this but is there anything else i should try? i torqued every bolt on the intake down to 15 ft lbs just like the fsm says.
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by oLemurs View Post
my idle is stupid high, all i did was take off the intake manifold and regasket it all and now the idle is at 2000 from start and hikes up even higher if it runs more. i tried turning down the screw, getting a new wire harness, adjusting the tps and it just wont go down. i heard it needs to relearn for some reason but i left the battery unplugged for weeks and i even tried my other ecu and its the same problem. i know a vacuum leak will cause this but is there anything else i should try? i torqued every bolt on the intake down to 15 ft lbs just like the fsm says.
forgot to mention i really cleaned out the throttle body and IACV
Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Edyz7s
Leaky Injector

Edyz7s is an unknown quantity at this point
Check to see if you plugged in all wires/plugs back together.
Edyz7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edyz7s View Post
Check to see if you plugged in all wires/plugs back together.
yes i will recheck but i forgot to mention when the tps was unplugged with my old harness it did the same thing. im going to unplug the iacv next time i go over to work on it and see if that does anything
Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

just an update, i put on my other MAF it the idle went down about 500 which is pretty normal for cold starts im thinking. but now i have another problem (i had it before but i didnt really think about it) basically my car used to run decent before i pulled the intake manifold off, but once i put everything back together and gapped the spark plugs to .28 its actually backfiring on idle. i tried to check the timing and it seemed strange that it was off to the right so far (i couldnt even retard it enough to get in the lines) so i pulled off the valve cover and stabbed it into the head again at TDC and no luck i have the same timing. should i just set it a tooth off in the retarded direction and see if that gets me closer to 0 degrees advanced or is it normal to be that far off on a cold engine. im scared to let my engine run until it gets fully warm because i live right across from the police department and i dont want them to think im shooting guns also i know its not good to run advanced timing. tell me what you guys think i just ordered some heat range 6 spark plugs brand new.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLemurs View Post
just an update, i put on my other MAF it the idle went down about 500 which is pretty normal for cold starts im thinking. but now i have another problem (i had it before but i didnt really think about it) basically my car used to run decent before i pulled the intake manifold off, but once i put everything back together and gapped the spark plugs to .28 its actually backfiring on idle. i tried to check the timing and it seemed strange that it was off to the right so far (i couldnt even retard it enough to get in the lines) so i pulled off the valve cover and stabbed it into the head again at TDC and no luck i have the same timing. should i just set it a tooth off in the retarded direction and see if that gets me closer to 0 degrees advanced or is it normal to be that far off on a cold engine. im scared to let my engine run until it gets fully warm because i live right across from the police department and i dont want them to think im shooting guns also i know its not good to run advanced timing. tell me what you guys think i just ordered some heat range 6 spark plugs brand new.
video of problem: https://youtu.be/MdUuP_hDQqQ at the end you can hear it sounds like a gun shot
Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 AM   #7
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
When you stab the cas you have to rotate it just a hair towards the front of the car as you're sliding it in to get it on the correct tooth
Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
When you stab the cas you have to rotate it just a hair towards the front of the car as you're sliding it in to get it on the correct tooth
I️ know when I️ put it in I️ lined it up with the dot on the right (looking in to the engine) and once it’s in it aligns with the left dot but I’m pretty sure this isn’t timing related.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

anyone know?
Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

so the problem is now fixed, if anyone is wondering all it needed was new spark plugs.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
haha damn. thanks for the update.

the car that i just got has been sitting for years, and it's been idling high so i'll be trying new spark plugs. hope it's that simple.
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #12
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240KA View Post
haha damn. thanks for the update.

the car that i just got has been sitting for years, and it's been idling high so i'll be trying new spark plugs. hope it's that simple.
sorry that was for my exhaust popping on idle problem, what fixed my idle was i just put in my old maf (i guess the guy on ebay sold me a broken one) and i actually had a nice sized vacuum leak plus the spark plugs did help a little.