Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
AvitarPhil

Trader Rating: (0)
AvitarPhil is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post sr20det block vs sr20de block

As Title suggests I am looking for information regarding the differences between the blocks on the set and the de.

Basicly I have a sr20det. The piston detonated and have damaged the block significantly. I'm looking at options atm. I'm either going to have to fit tapered selves which will cost in machineing. Or I need a new block. Problem I'm having is the DET block is hard to come by in my area. Sr20de blocks are reliably comon and cheep.

I was thinking of swapping out my ruined DET block with a DE block. But I'm not sure what the differences inbetween them are. And if any differences can be converted.

Just to confirm all the internals will be replaced with forged internals I'm just concerned in different in the actual block casting.
AvitarPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
CoryCheung

CoryCheung is an unknown quantity at this point
If it’s just the block that you’re worried about then I believe the only differences are that the de blocks have no piston oil squirters and the oil pump flows a lot less. You should be able to convert because some de guys use the det pump as an upgrade so that should bolt up just fine and MotoIQ did an article where JWT tapped the block to install squirters.
Also I know you’re replacing the internals but does that include a new crankshaft?
CoryCheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
CoryCheung

CoryCheung is an unknown quantity at this point
If it’s just the block that you’re worried about then I believe the only differences are that the de blocks have no piston oil squirters and the oil pump flows a lot less. You should be able to convert because some de guys use the det pump as an upgrade so that should bolt up just fine and MotoIQ did an article where JWT tapped the block to install squirters.
Also I know you’re replacing the internals but does that include a new crankshaft?
CoryCheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The blocks internally are similar aside from the oil squirter provisions but the accessory mounts are completely different as well as the engine mounts. The DE blocks also do not come with the turbo feed threads for the water or oil so those would have to be machined as well.

Long story short you can not use a SR20DE core as a replacement for the RWD DET core.