Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Ka-ra40

Trader Rating: (0)
Ka-ra40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ka24de swapping a toyota

What’s up guys, first time posting.
I have a 1978 celica coupe and I got a good deal on a Ka24de with eco, harness, and transmission. I got one of the can/am boxes for the ecu, I’m needing to find out if I can run new wires for the coil or if I need to find the old coil wire. I have a switch panel with an ignition switch, a push button starter switch. The key will only be used to unlock the steering wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this car has been sitting for too long, I’m ready to drive it
Ka-ra40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ka24de swapping a toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka-ra40 View Post
What’s up guys, first time posting.

I have a 1978 celica coupe and I got a good deal on a Ka24de with eco, harness, and transmission. I got one of the can/am boxes for the ecu, I’m needing to find out if I can run new wires for the coil or if I need to find the old coil wire. I have a switch panel with an ignition switch, a push button starter switch. The key will only be used to unlock the steering wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this car has been sitting for too long, I’m ready to drive it

Your referring to the ignition coil correct? I put a ka in a buddys miata a while back, pretty simple. Just get the motor to mount up and use all the wiring from the ka24. Rip out pretty much everything related to the celica wiring (engine wise) and hook up the ka. Only thing i couldnt get done was the gauge cluster, im not very good with wiring though haha. But yeah id toss that ecu in and use as many oem nissan parts as you can find, it just makes swapping shit easier if you have all the stock shit. He did have to get some custom fabrication done though, im sure you will too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Ka-ra40

Yeah the ignition coil, and pretty much everything I’ve done has been custom, I had to weld on strut mount for the 8.8 I swapped in and I fabbed up some front coils from s13 coils. I’m not making much sense from diagrams, idk if anyone has ever used one of the can/am boxes but the diagram for that shows I need the factory coil wire to run into the box, if I use an s13 coil and igniter, could I run a wire from a switched 12v? I know the ecu grounds the coil to provide the current.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka-ra40 View Post
Yeah the ignition coil, and pretty much everything I’ve done has been custom, I had to weld on strut mount for the 8.8 I swapped in and I fabbed up some front coils from s13 coils. I’m not making much sense from diagrams, idk if anyone has ever used one of the can/am boxes but the diagram for that shows I need the factory coil wire to run into the box, if I use an s13 coil and igniter, could I run a wire from a switched 12v? I know the ecu grounds the coil to provide the current.

Hmm i dont have any experience with the can/am cant say for sure. I would assume a switched 12+ on the ignition would work but might wanna wait for someone else to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
flartius
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
flartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome to zilvia!

I've never used one of those however, IIRC there should be an ignition relay that drives the coil. So maybe the line running from that box is the signal wire for the relay?
Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
Ka-ra40

Hmmm makes sense, I know the car had points before and unsure if there is a relay for the old ignition coil or not, I’m gonna trace some wiring shortly and find out for sure
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
what ever became of this? looking at a can-am box myself how long did yours take in shipping?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote