Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
DemonS13

Trader Rating: (0)
DemonS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB20DET Misfire Thoughts

Hey everyone,

Recently I did a conversion on my Silvia from a Ca18de to a Rb20det manual. Now I'm just kind of working out all the little issues with it, and getting my head around the Rb.

It is idle hunting (hot days worse than cold) and it is also misfiring (from what I have found, only one cylinder no.4 is doing it). It pulls when it drives due to it, except when it gets over 3000rpm or hits boost. (My blow off is currently running to atmosphere, and the turbo has seen better days since it is loose and always slightly open and blow off is leaking. Not connected, but you never know).

I have done so far the following to no avail:
Tested another igniter.
Replaced the coil packs with new ones.
Changed the spark plugs from platinum to regular and gapped (someone told me that RBs are occasionally picky).
Checked for vacuum leaks . None that I can find (except for blow off), although I am getting new hoses since a lot of them seem to have had their run.

I am currently running a Mines computer, and a stock one is coming soon, although I would assume that if it was this, it would misfire off all and not systematically off of one? I am also soon getting a coil pack harness loom.

I just thought I would ask in case anyone knew of anything that I could do while I am waiting for these to show up, or if anyone has any experience with this issue and how they resolved it.

Cheers Guys
DemonS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
blaker
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
blaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Maf

Get a hose so you don't vent to atmosphere.
blaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
DemonS13

Trader Rating: (0)
DemonS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the answer, I forgot I posted on here regarding this.
Running a genuine MAF, and fixed the turbo and blow off. Recently did a compression test and I am running around 70-90 so I think it may be something to do with that.
I think it may be time to start looking for another engine to rebuild while I am running this one since everyone keeps telling me there isn't much one can do regarding compression except rebuild so I'm just going to go down that avenue.
Appreciate the input though mate.
DemonS13 is offline   Reply With Quote