Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-23-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
TheRepoMan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TheRepoMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 Darting Need Help

So not too long ago my car started darting when I got on the freeway, (at random). So basically as I was driving the steering wheel would kick left and then kick back. Almost as if the toe was off. I knew the toe was fine as I had just gotten the alignment done. Although at the time the car had about 6 degrees of camber in the front.

My first thought was that the camber was causing the darting. It is now set at 3 degrees darting continues, afterwards I didn’t have anyone to check the steering rack bushing, so I replaced them anyway as the bushing were about 30yrs old anyway and I had replaced virtually every other bushing outside of the control arm bushings anyway.

After this the darting lessened but was still there. Finally while replacing the steering rack bushing I noticed that my front caster arm bushing were completely shot. I then replaced the caster arms. The darting is almost completely gone but I can force it out.

At this point is I vigorously shake the wheel side to side while driving it kick back to one side interestingly though, if I slam on the brake, the steering wheel will then go back to its correct alignment.

Do you guys have any idea what this could be. I’m completely out of ideas and everything looks pretty tight under the vehicle. I’m at a loss....

Last edited by TheRepoMan; 08-23-2018 at 04:29 AM..
TheRepoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #2
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How low is your car?
Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Could be any of the following
- modded knuckles (if you have them)
- steering rack is bad
- something is loose up front (check EVERY bolt)
- alignment is bad (some machines are not calibrated right)
- car is twisted
- bent wheel
- ride height is off

Probably more stuff I am forgetting
Old 08-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
duballstar37
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
duballstar37 is on the path to ruinduballstar37 is on the path to ruinduballstar37 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
All the above... also check your FLCA inner bushings for play. Jack up the car and try to move the front wheels top to bottom and side to side. Identify where the movement is coming from.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it looks like you replaced a bunch of stuff but no mention of an alignment after. did you get an alignment after?
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Did you tightening the rack down to 70 ft/lb? or subframe torqued to spec?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
TheRepoMan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
How low is your car?
Not low at all actually
Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
TheRepoMan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Did you tightening the rack down to 70 ft/lb? or subframe torqued to spec?
Rack is torqued to spec
Old 08-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #9
TheRepoMan
Leaky Injector

I recently swapped to s14 control arms as well as s14 drop knuckles. Weirdly the GKTech grip drop knuckles make it damn near impossible to tighten the ball joint nuts and fit a cotter pin in. Since I couldnt it a cotter pin in, the Left side ball joint actually came loose causing the darting.

it turns out that the castle on the ball joint felt tight but wasn’t. Yesterday during the day I just took the whole thing apart and found that the knuckle (being that it was loose) had been rubbing against the shank on the ball joint flattening some of the threads. I straightened up the threads and was able to get it tight. Darting is is fixed an now I have officially replaced every old bushing on my car

Also though the gktech “grip” drop knuckles are badass they’re a pain to work with. Just fyi to anyone who plans on going that route in the future. Thanks for all your help!