Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
na6miata

Trader Rating: (0)
na6miata is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 clutch wont bleed

So I recently bought a 91 S13 and it was originally an automatic car. I converted it to a manual trans but the one thing I am having problems with is bleeding the clutch. I have a stainless line, bypassed the dampener box, have been using a pneumatic bleeder. The fluid doesn't even leave the master cylinder though. I'm stuck and don't know what to do at this point
na6miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
I'm willing to bet you need to adjust the pedal throw/pedal return adjustment. It can pull air into the line if you push past the piston's throw inside the master cylinder. I'm not sure of how much, but the pedal should be a specific distance off the floor/firewall, There should be about 3/4"-1" of spring tension to return the pedal before pressure builds as you press on it. Then the rest should be hydraulic pressure from pushing fluid to the slave cylinder. The way I bleed my brakes and clutch lines is,

fill empty bottle halfway with fluid,
put clear hose from bleeder screw into bottle AND submerge into the fluid. When you pump the pedal back and forth it pushes the fluid from the reservoir into the bottle and PULLS a little bit of the fluid on the back stroke.
So in turn you will have smooth, fluid transfer, as long as you keep putting fluid in the reservoir and the line in the fluid from the bleeder screw.

P.S. pedal throw is important for proper clutch engagement.

But It still sounds like when you installed the master and pedal assembly, the pedal stop adjustments are off.

Good luck
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
na6miata

na6miata is an unknown quantity at this point
Update: Ended up taking the slave cylinder off and pumped the clutch and it started to bleed. Put it back on and finished bleeding it after fluid started coming out of the slave cylinder. Works fine now and runs through all the gears just fine
na6miata is offline   Reply With Quote