Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #31
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks good so far! Next time youre gonna purchase tires might consider a 235/40 instead. Its a full inch shorter than the 45 series. It will give waaay more room for activities!
Anyways keep up the planning and good work!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #32
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
EveryQuarterMile is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin'eight-nine View Post
Looks good so far! Next time youre gonna purchase tires might consider a 235/40 instead. Its a full inch shorter than the 45 series. It will give waaay more room for activities!
Anyways keep up the planning and good work!
I'm aware that I made a bad call with the 235/45 tires, but just a little too late! They won't last terribly long anyway, so I'll go to 235/40 once they're done

Thanks for the support man!
Old 09-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #33
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Sorry for the delay in updating this. The build is still moving forward!

REPAIRS: Just put in a new window regulator and motor on the driver's side, an so my driver's side window works again! Of course, the passenger window stopped working right after... Now I feel like I should have done the manual door swap, like I was planning. Too late no. Oh well. And yes, the passenger window is stuck down (wish it was up!)

MODS: Finally got around to purchasing all of my brake parts. Came to a total of $631, all new/re-manufactured parts.

Went with Q45 calipers up front, ceramic brake pads, slotted StopTech rotors all around, and new hubs for the rear.

Almost everything has arrived. I'm just waiting on the hubs and one set of rotors!

UP NEXT: Saving for my SR swap! I plan to have the money together for the swap within about 10 months, so probably by July 2016. If things go well, I could have the money by April 2016. I'll probably be doing small things in the meantime, but most of my money is going to be stashed away for the SR. Things might be a bit slow until then, but I should still be updating.

Besides that, I apparently need to fix my passenger window. Wonderful.

Have a great day~
Old 09-21-2015, 02:20 AM   #34
91coupesr20det
Leaky Injector

91coupesr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
You should try the hankook rs3 if you want some real grip at autocross man.
91coupesr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #35
relaxamigo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
relaxamigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice work! Reminds me of my build not too long ago
relaxamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #36
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91coupesr20det View Post
You should try the hankook rs3 if you want some real grip at autocross man.
I did a lot of research before deciding on what tires to get, and decided to go with the Ventus V12 over the RS3 since the car is mainly a daily driver. They also do a bit better in the rain, and have decent grip as well.

They're definitely plenty for my car, though I'll probably step up to the RS3 after my SR swap! Still, I'm happy with my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan eighty View Post
Nice work! Reminds me of my build not too long ago
Thanks man!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #37
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Okay guys! Brakes are finally on! I've had a productive Spring Break. Beyond just working on my car ("just" ) I also signed for an apartment in the fall.

REPAIRS: Nothing new in the way of repairs, other than the fact that I ripped out the splash guard on the front passenger side. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but the splash guard all the way around have been gone for some time aside from that one. After some floods last year, that one got bent in a way that caused my tired to rub it when I made tight turns. Nothing exciting.

MODS: I got the brakes on. The two install write-ups I had printed said it would take about 2.5 hours for a beginner, or between 2-4 hours. Yeah right. It took me, with two other people, 23 hours total over two days to do the front and rear brakes. That was with none of us ever having done brakes before. It was also without air tools or a lift, so just hand tools and our strength.

Anyway, the rear brake install was a pair. A bolt broke (I mean, it is 26 years old) and we fixed that with zipties (it is a 240!). I also had a lugnut get stuck on the key, which only made the day 10x harder. Anyway, we did get the rear brakes on. So new rotors and pads. It was harder than it should have been...

That same day I also finally put in the rear strut bar. The tin snips I bought for the front brake install came in handy for cutting away some of the carpet!

(I know it's sideways. Sorry guys)

Also, the coilovers and camber arms now have about 3500-4000 miles on them. Still doing great! But they definitely look dirtier.

The first day took a total of 8-ish hours, with no breaks (no pun intended).

The second day was significantly longer, but went pretty smoothly.

We put on the front brakes, and I really didn't take pictures. The work took a total of 13 hours, no breaks at all. We started at 10am and worked until 11pm. It went well, but it just took some time. Here are some terrible pictures of the new setup. I'll try to take some better shots soon.

UP NEXT: Still saving for the SR swap! I should be able to do it as early as June, or as late as August. The plan is that I'll be buying a new car around April or May so that my 240 will no longer be a daily driver (too much money is in that car for it to get t-boned on my way to class). I'll be sticking with JDM, of course. Probably a Civic or an old school Toyota or Nissan pickup. Or a Mighty Max. I'd love to lower one of those!

After the swap the plan is to do the steering wheel with a quick release hub, and then the Silvia front end swap. Can't wait to have a Sileighty!
Old 04-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #38
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

So a bit of an update,

I got the second vehicle I was looking for. A 2000 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD. It'll be my daily driver/camper while my 240 will become my project/weekend ride.

Also, the sh*t calipers from O'Reilly's resulted in a brake fluid leak after I installed them. No, it wasn't the installation that resulted in the leak. It was the fact that the washers included with the calipers were basically useless. I didn't have the time to go back in and fix it myself, so there's $223 down the drain.

I'm also thinking I'm going to delay the SR swap, since I don't think I can get the money together anytime soon without eating only Ramen and sacrificing my entire social life. Thus, I'll probably be moving on to other things in the meantime.

Including the Silvia front end swap, adding an after market exhaust, and possibly an aftermarket steering wheel.

I'll keep this thread updated with anything I do.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #39
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Just purchased the exhaust. Went with a BMR exhaust. Stainless steel, dual tip, 14" resonator. It should be here soon, and I'll be sure to take some pictures (and maybe a video) once it's installed.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #40
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

I received my new exhaust awhile back, and it didn't take long before it was on the car. It sounds absolutely amazing and looks great! Wouldn't think that it was a 2.5" just by looking at it. No video yet, but I'll try to add one soon.

Classes are starting for me on Monday. It's my last year of college, and then I'll finally be having some better money coming my way. After I graduate I'll be doing the big things (Silvia front, body kit, paint job, motor/transmission swap, etc). Until then, I'm focusing on the little things. I need to put on some new rear hatch struts and finally get a damn glovebox that's not broken. I may also add an aftermarket steering wheel or do a few interior mods. The build probably won't slow down, but will mainly just be smaller things for now.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #41
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Just purchased and received the parts I need for an aftermarket steering wheel. The opportunity presented itself, so I decided to go for it. I got the wheel for $134 shipped from zilvia member mashi2choco, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a blue & black Sparco 330mm wheel with a bit of wear, but nothing serious.

Here's the photobucket with detailed photos: http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/ma...?sort=3&page=1

I also purchased an NRG short hub (in black) and a NRG blue & neochrome Gen 2 quick release. Here's essentially how it looks:

I'll get picture of my actually parts, now that I have them, up soon! I'm hoping to have the wheel on later in the week
Old 10-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #42
CarZoom

CarZoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates on the progress of your build? Have you managed to upgrade your coilover?Wonder what you've chosen between Koni, Bilstein, and KW.
CarZoom is offline   Reply With Quote