Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
blueZenki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
blueZenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Help

Alright, so I bought a 3 inch catback system for my s14, its a ka24de n/t, and I also got OBX long tube headers+downpipe+test pipe, those parts are all 2.5 inch, are the flanges going to meet up, or should i take out the test pipe, cut the flanges and weld in a 3"-2.5" adapter??? Any Ideas, i havents seen the header down yet so I dont know, im just trying to get prepared for this weekend to do it.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
will not mount up, or at least when i've had this setup it didn't . if you want to keep the 2.5 i suggest taking it down to the local exhaust shop and have them fab you up something.

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
blueZenki
Leaky Injector

Well, im good with welding thats why i said i was gonna just take the 2.5-3 inch adapter, weld a 2.5 inch peice of exhaist to it to make it the full 12.5 inches of my actual test pipe, then weld it in so the placement is good.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Kallixtos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (61)
Kallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really nice
Feedback Score: 61 reviews
Not trying to sound like a douche or anything, but why are you running 3" on a non turbo setup?
Kallixtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
teh smithers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
teh smithers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscalixto View Post
Not trying to sound like a douche or anything, but why are you running 3" on a non turbo setup?
Because 2.5" exhausts are for dumb people who want proper back pressure on their N/A motors.
teh smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
blueZenki
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh smithers View Post
Because 2.5" exhausts are for dumb people who want proper back pressure on their N/A motors.
Well, see son, theres a time in everyones life when it is time to have more then one car, this is my n/a and its also my wifes car, but she misses how my car sounds, and she wanted this exhaust. Just making sure its going to fit, needed some FRIENDLY advice, not jackassery.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
vipergtsr1000hp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vipergtsr1000hp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i got obx longtube header + 3" test pipe + 3" isis catback. all bolted up fine. sounds loud and deep.
vipergtsr1000hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
drftngs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im running the same as viper, OBX header, isis resi test pipe and isis dual n1, everything bolts up no problem. Only had to retighten after first couple heat cycles
drftngs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
blueZenki
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftngs14 View Post
Im running the same as viper, OBX header, isis resi test pipe and isis dual n1, everything bolts up no problem. Only had to retighten after first couple heat cycles
yeah i know if i had a 3 inch it'd be fine, but im wondering if the flange on a 2.5 inch is the same as the flange on a 3 inch.... lol man, we were getting way off topic up there. Only on ZILVIA!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

drftngs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
got ya, misread man just trying to help out... My last 96 240 I had the obx header with stock cat and it bolted right up with no issues, not sure of the size on flange on stock cat but maybe that will give you an idea
drftngs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
blueZenki
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftngs14 View Post
got ya, misread man just trying to help out... My last 96 240 I had the obx header with stock cat and it bolted right up with no issues, not sure of the size on flange on stock cat but maybe that will give you an idea
not you man, the other dude, lol the one who said "douchebag"
anyways, yeah im just curious if someone has a 2.5 inch OBX header laying around they could measure the flange from the center of both bolt holes. I just wanna know if its gonna seat flush or if im gonna have to go get my welder out of storage...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
mmmS13
Leaky Injector

mmmS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
The flanges should be the same size, only difference should be the inner diameter of the piping. (3in vs 2.5inch)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
vipergtsr1000hp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vipergtsr1000hp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmS13 View Post
The flanges should be the same size, only difference should be the inner diameter of the piping. (3in vs 2.5inch)
yes, this is true. flanges are the same. depending on brand or ebay, the flanges might be off centered. thats why my exhaust doesnt line up like i want it to lol. but flanges are the same, inside diameter is smaller.
vipergtsr1000hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #14
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Yup, flanges are the same size so they should all bolt up after the cat. I was running a 3" Blitz Nur Spec on my NA KA for a good 3 yrs before I swapped and never had an issue other than it ca be too loud sometimes for an NA car. But thats what silencers are for...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
blueZenki
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsr1000hp View Post
yes, this is true. flanges are the same. depending on brand or ebay, the flanges might be off centered. thats why my exhaust doesnt line up like i want it to lol. but flanges are the same, inside diameter is smaller.

okay so, they meet up, no leaks, depending on the brand? I just dont wanna have absolutly NO back pressure, so sketchy lol
Old 10-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueZenki View Post
okay so, they meet up, no leaks, depending on the brand? I just dont wanna have absolutly NO back pressure, so sketchy lol
Why would have no back pressure? Never mind, I'm not even gonna get into it. Just know this, larger 3" exhaust will cause you to lose low end power but you'll gain more on the mid to top end of the NA KA powerband.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I've read, the dyno sheets I've seen, and what I personally have experienced, you do not lose any low end on a KA by going up to a 3" exhaust.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh smithers View Post
While we never dynoed it, the Altima with 3" vs 2.5" trapped 2 mph more everytime. That (to me) shows an improvement.

I agree, exhausts can be over sized, but 2.5 to 3" on that setup isn't hurting it. Same with SR20, we saw HP and torque across the board on that dyno, no loss.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #19
Redleader540

Redleader540 is an unknown quantity at this point
so do these long tube headers bolt directly to the cat? And can I use a stock cat?
Redleader540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Yes, every KA header I've seen will sit right where the old manifold and cat would meet.

CLICK HERE!!!