Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
sr head crack ok or bad?

So i had a machine shop do some work on the head and i asked about the hair line cracks on all the cylinders he said its fine its just surface cracks and there was no leaks as he did pressure test on the head.
So i took the head to a second machine shop to do some other work and they have told me the head is bad due to the cracks.
can anyone tell me if these cracks are bad to where i need to replace my head.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
supramon808
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
supramon808 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
which machine shop did u go to if u dont mind me asking? been trying to find a legit machine shop in vegas..
supramon808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Metal expands and contracts under heat and pressure, they may not leak when the head is on a bench being tested, but is it worth it to reassemble the engine and wait for them to get worse? Having them repaired now or replacing the head is probably in your best interest if you plan to have it hold up for any extended period of time.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #4
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Metal expands and contracts under heat and pressure, they may not leak when the head is on a bench being tested, but is it worth it to reassemble the engine and wait for them to get worse? Having them repaired now or replacing the head is probably in your best interest if you plan to have it hold up for any extended period of time.
I appreciate that. Already have a new head sourced just want to check.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Are they discussing the linear indication in between the red circled areas? The issue with castings is that define the word "crack". It gets thrown around an awful lot. Casting is porous. Those very well may have been cast like that. Maybe they're parting lines or something that was missed in cleaning. A light gust of wind can drop sand into the mold (assuming they're sand cast) and cause a condition like that. I guess it may be linear shrink as well.

Sorry. I work at a foundry and i'm a nerd. I'd probably replace/repair.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

According to the first shop it passed pressure test and I was told it passed. The second shop said they magnaflux it and it's bad needs to be replaced.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
What do they use for a spec to magnaflux it?

The issue with magnaflux is if they're just spraying it, letting it sit for X amount of time and then putting developer on it, of course its going to bleed out.

If the valves still seat, and its not a through doing indication (an actual crack) its probably just a sub surface casting flaw that became present during machining.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

I just had the head looked at by a 3rd shop pressure test and said the head was good. So I will go and use this head hope it will last a year or 2.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it passes pressure test it will be fine. SEND IT