Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
azsr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Bringing a 240 back to life after it sat for years. plz help lol

So i have a 91 SR redtop swapped hatch thats been sitting in a storage unit for years, well I finally towed it home and want to bring it back to life. It ran great before but its been sitting without being started for probably around 5-6 years. OBV it needs a new battery but I figured id start by flushing out all the fluids so im wondering what brands of fluid the experts here recommend?

Like I mentioned prior its a 91 S13 hatch with a SR20DET redtop and its got a t28 s15 turbo on it.

basically im wondering what brake fluid, coolant, oil, and powersteering fluid I should get and how much im going to need to completely replace the fluids as whats in there is super old and probably nasty af at this point.

Also I remember the fuel gauge not showing how much fuel is actually in the tank, I know the previous owner upgraded the pump to a walboro, but im fairly certain the gauge isnt reading because the little floater that attaches to the arm in the tank came off so the arm does not move up and down so the car doesnt know how much fuel is in the tank. Was wondering if there is any company that makes an aftermarket replacment for it or if anyone knows what to search in order to find the part. Ive tried 240 fuel level sensor, 240 fuel tank floater, etc but no luck. part of me kind of wants to replace the whole assembly but not sure where to go about getting it. so any help would be appreciated.

I had bought the car with a freshly rebuilt sr back in like 2010 and the inside and outside of the car looked like straight up crap so I spent countless hours and dollars bringing the visuals of the car up to par with the motor, repainted it inside and out (after scraping out all the sound deadening), fixed up the inside, (the dash was cracked to hell, completely redid the dash, shifter bezel, gauge bezel, and glove box door in custom carbon fiber, its beautiful) replaced the seats, shift knob, ,shift boot, did a quick release steering setup with nardi wheel, the list goes on and on

oh
Also i was wondering if anyone knew where to get a plug for the massive hole in the trunk near the spare tire well? the back of the car is gutted and has no trim panels past the backseat area

any help would be appreciated
azsr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsr20det View Post
So i have a 91 SR redtop swapped hatch thats been sitting in a storage unit for years, well I finally towed it home and want to bring it back to life. It ran great before but its been sitting without being started for probably around 5-6 years. OBV it needs a new battery but I figured id start by flushing out all the fluids so im wondering what brands of fluid the experts here recommend?

Like I mentioned prior its a 91 S13 hatch with a SR20DET redtop and its got a t28 s15 turbo on it.

basically im wondering what brake fluid, coolant, oil, and powersteering fluid I should get and how much im going to need to completely replace the fluids as whats in there is super old and probably nasty af at this point.

Also I remember the fuel gauge not showing how much fuel is actually in the tank, I know the previous owner upgraded the pump to a walboro, but im fairly certain the gauge isnt reading because the little floater that attaches to the arm in the tank came off so the arm does not move up and down so the car doesnt know how much fuel is in the tank. Was wondering if there is any company that makes an aftermarket replacment for it or if anyone knows what to search in order to find the part. Ive tried 240 fuel level sensor, 240 fuel tank floater, etc but no luck. part of me kind of wants to replace the whole assembly but not sure where to go about getting it. so any help would be appreciated.

I had bought the car with a freshly rebuilt sr back in like 2010 and the inside and outside of the car looked like straight up crap so I spent countless hours and dollars bringing the visuals of the car up to par with the motor, repainted it inside and out (after scraping out all the sound deadening), fixed up the inside, (the dash was cracked to hell, completely redid the dash, shifter bezel, gauge bezel, and glove box door in custom carbon fiber, its beautiful) replaced the seats, shift knob, ,shift boot, did a quick release steering setup with nardi wheel, the list goes on and on

oh
Also i was wondering if anyone knew where to get a plug for the massive hole in the trunk near the spare tire well? the back of the car is gutted and has no trim panels past the backseat area

any help would be appreciated
No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Drain all the old fluids. Replace them with whatever you can find at the parts store.

Siphon out the old gas, put 5 gallons of fresh gas in there and replace the battery.

The fuel carrier shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement for. I'd recommend getting an Aeromotive after my Walbro shit on me after less than 3 years of usage.

Props to you for investing in the car and storing it instead of selling it. Getting replacement parts for these cars has become pretty laborious and overpriced.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

azsr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
ive looked everywhere for the fuel float and cant find one, but maybe im looking for the wrong thing, and id like to put forth a little more effort than "whatever i can find at the parts store"

im sure theres a specific grade oil that works best in this car for one, the other fluids i can probably get away with whatever but oil specifically I need to know what grade is recommended for a turbocharged sr
azsr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
95_S14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (108)
95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 108 reviews
Pull the plugs and spray wd40 or some type of light oil into the cylinder walls and turn it over without the plugs or fuel so you don't damage the side walls
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
ive looked everywhere for the fuel float and cant find one, but maybe im looking for the wrong thing, and id like to put forth a little more effort than "whatever i can find at the parts store"

im sure theres a specific grade oil that works best in this car for one, the other fluids i can probably get away with whatever but oil specifically I need to know what grade is recommended for a turbocharged sr
You can literally google what the recommended factory oil weight is for an SR20.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
You can literally google what the recommended factory oil weight is for an SR20.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:

Valvoline VR-1 20w-50. SR’s love that thick high zinc shit. Coolant is as easy as that gallon jug of Prestone at Walmart. Trans fluid should always be Redline MT-90.

Get 7-8 quarts of VR-1. The three extra are to flush out the old shit.

I think as far as the fuel floater goes, you can just replace the entire fuel sending unit. Shouldn’t be more than $100.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
gangly

gangly is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep in mind these figures are referencing a 1989 240sx with a KA24E. So some things won't apply to you.

gangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
To piggy back on some other things said:

Put a cap of oil in each cylinder to recoat the side walls. Take off the valve cover, and put assembly lube on the cams, it's going to take a second to get oil circulating around. Double check the chain tensioner, don't want it jumping after sitting so long.

Use 0w30 weight oil, you need it to circulate as fast as possible through the engine.

Use whatever coolant/brake fluid/atf/gear oil to flush everything out.

Afterwards, put whatever fluid you find to be good. Everyone has their opinions of what fluids to use (myself included). There's plenty of good options.

You can grab a pump assembly off zilvia for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
jimcfl

jimcfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Since brake fluid gets moisture in it, it’s likely the brake and clutch cylinders have some corrosion inside, which will destroy the seals, so you should expect to replace those soon.

Also the organic material on the clutch disc may disintegrate in just a few miles.
jimcfl is offline   Reply With Quote