Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
kouki_drifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question s14 sr20det oil catch can help

ok this is the deal i just got a new turbo in for my S14 sr20det, a garrett t2871rs with a t04s housing, the problem im having is that i have the turbo mounted on a bottom mount header and i do not have any room to run a 4" intake pipe to the turbo. i dont have any thing to hook up the oil catch can line to. i know it needs "suction" to that line and i know that it goes hooked up to the turbo intake but all i have is a filter mounted right on the housing. is there an alternative place to get suction from that will work? such as the hot pipe off the turbo? or do the gasses that are released need to go into the turbo intake? i did a search and didnt find any info on a situation like this, if anyone can help me out with some information i would appreciate it! thanks!
kouki_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You can't put your turbo outlet on to the catch can. Think about it, you'll be pressurizing your engine. You want vac in the crankcase, not position pressure. Have a shop weld a 1/2" nipple or whatever size you need for your catch can on to the suction pipe of the turbo. It needs to be after the MAF, I'm not sure how your setup is arranged.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

Ok I see what your saying, I don't have a mafs I'm running a 3 bar and I have no space to put piping on the turbo intake. I just have an air filter mounted right to the turbo inlet, is there any other place to get suction from that I can use? Is there a different configuration I can use instead of valve cover->oil catch can-> turbo inlet?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
You can use an exhaust Venturi to pull vacuum. It gets welded into the down pipe. You'll need a check valve on that line. Other than using a vacuum pump, those three are your only options.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

ok cool man thanks i appreciate the help, i'll look into the other options you mentioned
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

Hey man I came up with this idea do you think it'll work ok?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

I'm not sure if it will get enough suction but I think it should work? I found a few pics of the fitting on the back of the air filter, so im figuring this should be similar and should work. What will happen if there's not enough suction? Any thing to worry about?

Last edited by kouki_drifter; 08-12-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

That is quite interesting, however it should work just fine.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I dont think you'll get enough suction with that. Might as well just vent the catch can open. What you really need to do is add a 3" pipe between the turbo and your filter, and add a nipple on it.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

I can't fit a pipe in there, exspecially not the 4" pipe that it needs because it has a t04s housing. With just the filter on I only have about an inch of space between the front of the filter and the dipstick.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I understand the space problem, but then you said it needs a 4" pipe, hmmm is your compressor blade 4"? No! Anyway, if space permits you could do a 90* reducer or whatever! Make it happen captain!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

I was thinking of lobster backing some 4" aluminum pipe to make an intake but one of the coolant lines is in the way so I ordered a 45deg fitting to move it up and out of my way I will post pics tomorrow so everyone can get a visual of what I'm saying.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
I'd move the dipstick out of the way and closer towards the the chassis if its in the way.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

Here's how it looked

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

I ordered a 45 deg fitting to move the coolant line out of my way, I also had to bend the crap out of my dipstick for it to work here's how it looks now.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

The suction from the filter fitting is a little light but it's there exspecially once the gas pedal is released it sucks in ok not to powerfull though, how much suction does it really need?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

ive taken your advice and bent the hell out of the dipstick to get it out of my way, i tucked it closer to the motor and started the lobster backing process to make me an intake, i will post pics as i go.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Seems legit.
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
jr_ss
Post Whore!

You don't really have to lobster back the pipe, just get a reducing coupling, build a section of pipe out of 3" that gets you up and over to the factory location for the filter and call it a day. Weld nipple to pipe, hook system up and run.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Eh, i'd leave it the way it is. Still better than just venting the catch can open...

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Lobsterbacking...LOL It's called pie cutting, and not only does it look unprofessional, it also looks cheap. They make the proper radiused pipes all day long online.

I'd normally suggest a 3" 90" coupler, and a 45* aluminum pipe to the filter, but your hot pipe is pretty different from most setups.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #22
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Lobsterbacking...LOL It's called pie cutting, and not only does it look unprofessional, it also looks cheap. They make the proper radiused pipes all day long online.

I'd normally suggest a 3" 90" coupler, and a 45* aluminum pipe to the filter, but your hot pipe is pretty different from most setups.

Well I already started "pie cutting" the pipe.

I think it's looking good so far exspecially because the pipe was free I had had it so why not make do with what you got? I think "pie cut" intakes look good and custom, it shows you got your hands dirty on your car. If you can point me in the direction to a pre-bent pipe website that your talking about it would make life easier and I would appriciate it! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

Here it is all done just needs to be welded.

What do you think?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #24
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

One more thing? How close does the nipple for the oil catch can have to be to the turbo? I heard it has to be a specific distance to get the best suction is this true?

Last edited by kouki_drifter; 08-18-2012 at 11:59 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
kouki_drifter
Zilvia Member

Done

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
abunai the drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
abunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to abunai the drifter
What other clearance issue did you have? I want to run a t04s houing on gt3076 bottom mount on s13 sr in s13. Did you need to cut any thing, do you have more pictures? you can email me them [email protected] or pm me or text me them 562-552-3665
Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #27
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Can we sue photobucket? All I want to do is read a damn write up... with pictures!!!