Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-18-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
rancid240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (72)
rancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
Car wobbles at high speed

I have balanced the tires, and the tech told me that when he spins the wheels on the machine that he would be able to tell if they were bent. I hit a huge pothole and ever since the car has been wobbling at about 70mph+ (as if driving in wind). I have gotten the wheels balanced and the problem is still not fixed....all I can think of is that maybe one of my bearings are bad; would this be able to cause a wobbling effect and how can I check for bad bearings up front?
rancid240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
you tires might have a bald spot!

checking bearings. grab wheel firmly when its on car (on the ground) pull left and right hard a few times, any play in the bearings? also bearings youll notice at ALL speeds.

i think its bald spot if they checked the wheel already and no bends.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:50 PM   #3
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Trader Rating: (0)
sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
or you busted a TC rod bushing.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
rancid240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (72)
rancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
how do i check for a busted bushing? Will i see the "ooze" dripping off one of the rod ends?
rancid240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
yeah. the bushing will have visable cracks, and there will probably be a good bit f nasty looking ooze...
Old 03-18-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Old 03-18-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by dousan36
checking bearings. grab wheel firmly when its on car (on the ground) pull left and right hard a few times, any play in the bearings? also bearings youll notice at ALL speeds.
Actually, you check bearing play by pulling/pushing at the top & bottom of the wheel. Doing the left/right deal will only produce wobble from the steering components. It won't be much, but if it moves at all, your bearings are worn. You should also hear a noise associated with the bearings being worn, but it may not be prevalent until they are more severely worn.

-Kevin
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Definitely sounds like a TC rod bushing...

...because that's the way my car always drives hahaha
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 03:37 PM   #9
RomperStomper

RomperStomper is an unknown quantity at this point
it is probably the TC rod bushing but i had the same problem and it ended up being a combo of thrashed tires and warped rotors.
RomperStomper is offline   Reply With Quote