Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
RomulanS13

Trader Rating: (0)
RomulanS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20det possible timing issue

Whats up all. I have an s13 sr20det swap that runs fine through all rpm's but under heavy load and boost over 4psi it will bog and sound like its only running on 2 cylinders but if i let off the gas 25% throttle it will run right. Ive replaced the plugs and re gapped .28 checked for any boost leaks non. When it does this theres no back firing just a noticeable loss in power and sound until I let off then the motor sounds correct and doesnt hesitate.

I also checked my TPS and reset it to .45 at idle and it goes almost to 5v at wide open throttle. I bought the motor from someone local to me and im sure the motor ran fine when he had it. He sold it cause he was in a collision. It also has hard start issues since I swapped it into my hatch as well as this hesitation.

Could it be that he may have pulled the CAS at one point and just slid it back in and being off a tooth or so causing the hesitation under load issue?
RomulanS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It’s definitely your cam angle timing. Put the motor to top dead, pull the cam angle and line up all the marks on it. The valve cover needs to be off for this. There’s tons of write ups on how to reset it, but you’ll need a timing light and set it back to OEM 15 degrees afterwords.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
RomulanS13

Cool thanks for the reply. Ill redo it in the morning and hopefully this fixes it.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Also check fuel pressure, your regulator could be bad.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
RomulanS13

Yes I did that and ended having to replace an injector and all the o rings not to long ago. Idled better but the problem was still present. I also replaced the knock sensor a few months back when I noticed the problem and the diagnostic lamp on the ecu came out with code 34 for knock sensor went away and rechecked came back with code 55 if I can remember right "no fault"

I mean one of my coil packs looks like it was chewed up my rats cause the motor had been sitting out of the car a few weeks prior to me purchasing it but i dont think it has a direct relation to the main hesitation issue. Ive hit 7psi but it wasnt at heavy load but hauling ass on the freeway and i got it to creep up. I just hope this fixes it cause I havent really gotten to enjoy my car since Ive built it and got it running sort of.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Stock fuel pump?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
RomulanS13

Nope I replaced it with a walbro 255 and and ISR adjustable FPR.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Best bet would be the CAS timing then.