Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
MidnightKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MidnightKouki's street S14 build

So I've owned this car for a few years with decent progress. However recently things have been really coming together so I figured maybe it was build thread worthy...

I owned a 95 Zenki for about a month or so until a combination of blown/cut springs from the previous owner/rain/retarded camber wear turned the car into a lightpole removal unit....car was basically toast after that, passenger rear quarter was effed bad (sorry no pics of the damage)

Luckily, I picked up a 97 kouki right after, BONE stock, only 100,000 clicks and only $4500. The owner moved here from some small town in Canada and had NO idea how bad us drifter fanboys get fleeced on S-chassis prices around here. Car was MINT and i was happy. Was was auto tho, but that was all good because I knew I'd be swapping something in eventually.

This used to be the beautiful view from my old apartment haha

On to the build! (I use the term loosely)

Right away I dove into the suspension. It wasn't my first choice but I got a wicked deal on some Megan streets and a full set of Megan arms so I jumped on it. At the same time I picked up an Apexi N1 Evo exhaust.

Cleannnnn shell...

More on the way...
MidnightKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

A little time had passed and by pure luck I had struck a trade of sorts for some bodywork and paint in exchange for my Zenki. Steve from the former OZdesigns (and current driftunion bro) totally transformed the car. Total "this is not my fucking car" pimp my ride shit when I picked it up....

+ knockoff vertex

+ knockoff Nismo 270R

+ this with flake

=

Right away I had to address som BADDD rubbing issues lol

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

So just to give a taste of what low cars have to deal with 'round here, this happened like a goddamn week out of paint:

Passed by a cop, he pulled a U-turn so hard he almost rolled his suburban and lit me up. Gave me a nice fatherly lecture about how my car being so low was basically Auschwitz 2010. then the backup rolled up...

Right on the spot I got what we canucks call a "Boxy 1" or a Box one vehicle inspection, meaning they ticked the first box on this form thing....bad news

They confiscated my plates on the spot, called me a $250 tow truck, cancelled my insurance and told me to have a nice day.

(SWAT team not pictured)

It took jumping through a bunch of hoops and paying for a shady inspection but within a week I was back on the road. The only snag was that I promised the shop I'd roll like this for a while to keep the heatyness down....ugh.

Couldn't take it after a few weeks like that so I decided to spin my shit back down. Can kinda see the flake here:

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
TN4sty 305
Leaky Injector

TN4sty 305 is an unknown quantity at this point
what color is that?
TN4sty 305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

Little things here and there for the next year or so:

random pics from said year...

Minor details and interior stuff...

Z32 fronts...

LED Tails...

Authentic FIA Recaro SPG profi

Parking lot harness tuck lol

Sorry if this is getting longwinded, I'm trying to consolidate my build thread from a local forum
Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN4sty 305 View Post
what color is that?
Unfortunately I don't have any codes or anything but what me and the painter agreed upon was "Very deep midnight purple with purple flake"
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

2011 con't

So one day I was cruising around at 1am and everything was calm until BOOM, a huge bank, a clunk and then the worst rubber screeching sound I'd ever heard. Pulled over asap and looked at my car and couldn't figure what the hell had happened, but i was basically on the ground... I had no flashlight, was like maybe 20 mins out from home, obviously didn't wanna call a tow truck and/or the police to help and i couldn't get the scissor jack anywhere under the car. I decided to limp it home....worst drive of my life. I was like a MM off the ground, and since if I got on a main road and went over like 1omph I'd leave a HUGE smoke trail from my car sitting on the tire, I had to stick to sidestreets.....meaning schoolzones...meaning speedbumps.

The next morning I snapped this (looks pretty dope though haha)

What happened was the bolt holding the bottom mount of the coil over had just fucking fallen out and the coil slid off the spindle... I got free install then I bought the coils so I figured why not.....THIS IS WHY NOT.

Onwards:

JDM grill

Obligatory gas station shot

Audio stuff.... couldn't handle the fully blown oem shit anymore.

Guard dog...

OK.....2011 over....almost caught up

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

So 2012 started off...bittersweet

bitter:

Girlfriend borrows car in the rain, spins, jumps curb, nails trash can lol. I feel like her having to pick up the phone and make that call to me was punishment enough haha....and she bought me a Dmax style hood as a peace offering. I took it.

and sweet:

Waited and waited and waited for an S14 sr and it was hopless...so i picked up a super clean blacktop. No matter.

I really wanted do LS1 but shit's just not feasible in western Canada...to my knowledge, noone has an LS-S-chassis. No junkyards have any laying around either. And I doubt many shops have experience with it. What we DO have, is mad Japan hook ups, so SR was an easy choice

A can of spray, a bag of zipties, some hood stomping and a set of JDM headlights later...not too shabby.

Got some time the other week to crack the motor open a bit. Pristine condition all the way around. Feeling way better about going SR now.

On come the parts!

Koyo n-flo, UEGO, samco blah blah

carbon Garage Defend knockoff cooling panel and PBM skid plate

Cobra downpipe (QUALITY unit)

More Gauges/ prosport halo

More on this tomorrow....

Alright guys, that's it....all caught up. Thanks for checkin this out!

LOTS of updates to come
Old 04-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
looks good, keep it up
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Bah...I want that rim news TODAY!!!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
240drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240drifter1
Gonna look fucking good with those wheels! Props!
240drifter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
A'PEXi
Leaky Injector

A'PEXi will become famous soon enoughA'PEXi will become famous soon enoughA'PEXi will become famous soon enough
keen to see the rims fitted
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
g_mac530
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
g_mac530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g_mac530
gaaahaahhh what a cliff hanger with the LXZ's!! PBM pieces look nice. I was going to get a skid plate but I'm a little uneasy because of how thin it is. I want something a little thicker that will take a beating.
g_mac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Damn nice build so far, i like the color, reminds me of a R33 skyline color like a purple or something.
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
bftII40
Zilvia Member

bftII40 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice car glws.

lol j/k. Seriously, nice car.
bftII40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Where did u find that cooling panel?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I will gladly pay you tuesday for rim news today.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
sucks with the whole cop problem, but im glad it didn't put a stop to building the car. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Absolutely stunning color on the car. I am so damn JELLY! Those rims and that paint color are my dream. I was hoping someone would combine those two soon and you just did. INCEPTION!
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM SPUG View Post
Where did u find that cooling panel?
Luckily I live close to Zilvia's own C-UNIT, who imports carbon everything. Send him a PM....he's got shipments rolling in all the time.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

Thanks for all the love fellas, I've just been chugging along for weeks ordering up parts for the swap. Really wished I lived in the US sometimes. most places would ship right to my door, free shipping, no tax within a week. Not up here. If I order from FRsport or enjuku for instance, I have to pay shipping to the boarder, wait an additional week sometimes to clear customs. THEN I get dinged with taxes, duties and brokerage fees Free healthcare...or saving money and time on parts...sometimes I just cant decide whats better haha.

The wheels popped up unexpectedly locally and I just fucking JUMPED on them. Advertised as 18x10 and 19x11...I already was worried about fitment. Turns out when i showed up with cash to snag them they were 10.5 and 11.5......the dude didnt even know how to read the labels...rich kids.... Now even more sure they'd never fit, I still took them. I just...I had to.

Still cant believe that fell together. Just a week before a local baller wheel importer quoted me $5200 for a set from Japan along with a ridiculous wait. So I kinda put LXZ's on the never gunna happen list.

That night I test fitted to see how much work was needed to fit these. Didnt touch height or camber, just threw them on to get a ballpark idea.

The plan is to keep stock metal at all costs but to be honest, I dont think it'll take too much work to get them to fit. I REALLY wanna tuck rim since theyre 19's in the rear...so...that might require widebody. We'll see.
For now I ordered up 225/40/18 fronts and 245/35/19 rears to try and shoehorn these bitches in. I'll keep you guys posted
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
g_mac530
Zilvia Junkie

g_mac530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to g_mac530
Yea fitment is gonna be extreme on stock metal.... but it is possible. I haven't run 10.5's up front but I know a few people that have, definitely not for the weak at heart lol. Gonna take some camber. Gonna take some custom metal work to tuck rim in the rear too.
g_mac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
Drifting-pedobear
Zilvia Addict

Drifting-pedobear is an unknown quantity at this point
its not that you want to tuck rim...

you NEED to tuck rim.

19s and no tuck? youre going to be rollin in a donk.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
shaggy sr
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
shaggy sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
holy fyck! keep us updated. sorry i almost came out when i read this.

what hub/quick release was that? no airbag light on cluster? hooked up wirings to horn?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
MidnightKouki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy sr View Post
holy fyck! keep us updated. sorry i almost came out when i read this.

what hub/quick release was that? no airbag light on cluster? hooked up wirings to horn?
haha thanks, the hub is NRG short and release is NRG as well. I just disconnected the airbag light, it was way too annoying. And I haven't hooked up the horn yet...although it's pretty easy to do from what I've read.

Today was a pretty nice day and I had some time, so I did a couple little things. Mainly mounting (but not wiring) the gauges up and installing the a pillar pod. I also worked on fitting the cooling panel

The end tabs on the panel were getting lifted up by the screw that connects the corner lights to the headlights, making everything fit horribly...so I decided to cut them off.

I had never cut carbon before nor did I try to read about the best way to do so. I just grabbed my dremel and jumped in. Scary shit. the initial cuts were god awful but after some touching up and rounding the corners/edges....it came out pretty good.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
please more, please
Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #27
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
you're going to have to run retard camber to get those to tuck on anything. I haven't dialed out any camber since I'm waiting for all of my arms and shit to get in, but thankfully I have a 2-way diff because it's retarded getting stuck going up driveways when the tire gets stuck on the fender.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oh god please more, this thing looks beautiful.

Also about your girlfriend spinning your car in the rain, was it because of a welded diff? Or just hydroplane?
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #29
hardparkd
Leaky Injector

hardparkd is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 for fellow canadian!
keep up the good work, car looks awesome. i loove the paint job :thumbsup:
hardparkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
MidnightKouki