Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Jerseyzillest

Trader Rating: (0)
Jerseyzillest is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Compression test help

I have a blacktop sr20 (I believe it's stock as that's what I was told) the car never gets driven as it's a project car.
Anyways i live in jersey and its been sub 30 degree weather lately. I decided to do a compression test to have an idea of how healthy the engine is. Well I'm a bit thrown off and confused.

Compression test cold

1 - 124 psi
2 - 119 psi
3 - 125 psi
4 - 125 psi

Now I also decided to do a warm test (this is where I'm confused) the compression numbers are very similar to the cold test. So I decided to put some oil in each cylinder to see if the numbers jump.

1 - 150 psi
2 - 145 psi
3 - 150 psi
4 - 150 psi

Now I know that when the compression numbers jump it usually means bad rings, however I'm confused as to why the compression remained the same between cold and warm. 🤔 Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the engine to warm up?

no prior symptoms no lack of power or anything to have me question the compression I did it just so I know where I'm at.

Any input is appreciated 😬
Jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Rings are worn (it's a natural process that happens no matter what). Probably still fine. A leak down test will tell you more. If you aren't having blow by issues I wouldn't worry about it

Was the engine at full operating temp?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Jerseyzillest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Rings are worn (it's a natural process that happens no matter what). Probably still fine. A leak down test will tell you more. If you aren't having blow by issues I wouldn't worry about it

Was the engine at full operating temp?
I waited until the temp gauge was at temp before I did the compression test but the engine didn't seem hot when I was doing taking everything off. Plus it's probably been a few weeks since I started the car.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
the test may indicate high mileage, or an atmosperic blow-off was used, which continually washes the rings with gasoline and gradually lowers compression on a stock sr20 (maf). 15 years of ring washing and/or 150,000 miles will bring the compression down to 120~ cold. The oil test is clearly showing a lack of ring sealing because it obviously jumped back to OEM target range with the oil in the cylinder, which wouldn't happen if the compression was leaking via valves. If it does not smoke and seems to run normal, the plugs come out clean, I wouldn't mess with it just keep driving it gently. Use an oil pressure gauge to ensure the bottom end doesn't become garbage so it can be re-furbished (hone + new rings + valve job) in the near future, this way you avoid the machine shop and get back a nearly fresh engine. (change the engine bearings using the stamps on the block, install a new oil pump, new timing equipment, buy a honing tool and new rings, don't let a machine shop touch the shortblock). Do it in a 'clean' room.

Option B is buy a next longblock, which would cost less but obviously will give you the same 20 year old parts so selection is thin and difficult. But entirely possible.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Jerseyzillest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
the test may indicate high mileage, or an atmosperic blow-off was used, which continually washes the rings with gasoline and gradually lowers compression on a stock sr20 (maf). 15 years of ring washing and/or 150,000 miles will bring the compression down to 120~ cold. The oil test is clearly showing a lack of ring sealing because it obviously jumped back to OEM target range with the oil in the cylinder, which wouldn't happen if the compression was leaking via valves. If it does not smoke and seems to run normal, the plugs come out clean, I wouldn't mess with it just keep driving it gently. Use an oil pressure gauge to ensure the bottom end doesn't become garbage so it can be re-furbished (hone + new rings + valve job) in the near future, this way you avoid the machine shop and get back a nearly fresh engine. (change the engine bearings using the stamps on the block, install a new oil pump, new timing equipment, buy a honing tool and new rings, don't let a machine shop touch the shortblock). Do it in a 'clean' room.

Option B is buy a next longblock, which would cost less but obviously will give you the same 20 year old parts so selection is thin and difficult. But entirely possible.

Looks like I might have done the compression test before the engine was fully warmed up, the psi jumped ups bit and is now sitting at around 145 psi per cylinder. I'm happy with that for now.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A weak battery can also skew the overall numbers.

If they're close to each other (which they are), run it.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
Jerseyzillest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
A weak battery can also skew the overall numbers.

If they're close to each other (which they are), run it.
Thanks, yeah that might have been part of the issue, when I re did it I got better numbers.

Now I have an idle issue that I'll be posting to see if anyone can help me.

https://youtu.be/GXS753vpqPc
Old 01-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
My s13 sr had 178-183 compression all across cold and hot

id say your engine is pretty tired and getting there, seems fine but i wouldnt beat on it
Nissan2nr22 is offline   Reply With Quote