Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #61
harris180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
harris180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
If he is already done, then he needs to post the whole damn thing. Chat is clogged up enough with this crap.

OMFG a SR with a BOV!! OH EM GEE some crappy offset wheels came in today!!

Rulez

hahahahaha.. he started this build thread at 930 am in the morning, posted like the first tenth of his build so far, and then less than 24 hours later you are calling for his head?? it takes a while to actually post up and make a build thread dude, so the fact that he hasnt completely posted it up inside of 24 hours is a bit harsh dont you think??

give him some time before you jump all over his nuts..

edit - i just realised since he has continued to update the build thread you havent come in and been a dick about it anymore, so i assume you realise your "stock Sr with a bov and shitty offset wheels" comment is null and void..

i know it must tear you up inside that we have access to cheap unlimited SR's, unlimited rb25's, unlimited GTR's, and all that awesome jap stuff but seriously dude, maybe just grow up a bit and show a bit of patience..

Cabs - its harris from ns man, good to see you branching out.. reppin it hard from down under
harris180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #62
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

CaBS is an unknown quantity at this point
So I've finally started "the build" in the gaps when nfi's car was off getting tuned or we were waiting for something to be done before we could start on the next thing.

Took some quick shots of the car before I started but lighting was bad and the workshop had **** everywhere in the lead up to WTAC so space was limited.

SXDevelopments on Facebook
CaBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #63
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

The first task was to remove the body kit to allow easier access to the rest of the car for strippage and so it doesn't get damaged during the process. At this stage the same kit + a new front bar was going back on the car as funding wouldnt stretch enough to allow me the luxury of a wide body. This has since changed as the whole project as kinda got bigger and bigger and has now turned into a no holes barred full house build. :P

The front guards turned out to be rather difficult to get off due to the sills being crushed over ontop of them at the base. The side skirts required some serious massaging and a heat gun to get off as whoever fitted them had bought a tube of sikaflex and gone to town like a mofo! After I'd pulled them off we discovered that the sill panel on the passenger side had been giving sound rough love too. Another thing was added to the list of "to be fixed"

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #64
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Next I removed all the intake piping, afm and air box.

The next step was to drop all the fluids from the car, diff, gearbox, coolant, engine oil. Then I removed the radiator to make space for the engine/gearbox to come out in once piece. The gearbox crossmember, engine mounts, wiring looms and fuel lines all had to be disconnected first.

Hooking up the chain to the intake and water neck ready to be hoisted out.

Sweet as!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #65
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

The motor came out without any issues. You can balance it perfectly with the chain off these two points and with two people it was piss easy.

The engine bay already starts to look pretty bare and you realise these is actually a tonne of space in there compared to alot of cars.

The next step was to remove the gearbox.

Then the clutch pressure plate, clutch plate and flywheel all of which were in tip top shape having only just been fitted 6 months earlier.

Then we put the engine on the new engine stand (thanks nfi) and tipped it over to empty out as much coolant as possible.

More coming soon.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #66
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Some engine parts arrived for the new motor.

Head and main studs

Filter relocation block.

Greddy winged sump.

New OEM S13 gasket kit.

OEM waterpump

OEM GTiR and S13 Oil pumps I wasnt sure on which one was best to get. I'd heard that the GTiR pump was a good upgrade but wasnt sure so I got both.

The goodies including new S13 splitfires with ignitor

New timing chain kit.

Tomei bottom end

Rods

Cam gears

Oil relocation block tomei

More soon! =)

Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #67
c0nc0n
Leaky Injector

c0nc0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Jesus, that's gonna be awesome. Looking forward to the results!
c0nc0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #68
leung
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (73)
leung is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Awesome build thread. Don't listen to the haters. Lots of money and quality parts going into this build. Definitely going all out! Lookin good
leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #69
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
[QUOTE=CaBS;4642039]
OEM GTiR and S13 Oil pumps I wasnt sure on which one was best to get. I'd heard that the GTiR pump was a good upgrade but wasnt sure so I got both. [QUOTE]

whoops my bad

anyway whats the difference?
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #70
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
sick, reminds me of ethonoledsr's build. once he finished it. PART OUT lol
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #71
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Wow awesome build!
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #72
89JDM240sx
Zilvia Member

89JDM240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice build so far... Good luck with the rest
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #73
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
holy dick this is gonna be awesome!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #74
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the kind words guys glad your enjoying the thread. Haters will always be out there, in the end I'm trying to build my ultimate 180SX not anyone elses so as long as I'm happy with it I cant really go wrong! =)

Engine out was the easy part. Stripping the rest has been far more time consuming!

Went over to the workshop one night and stripped some stuff off the motor aswell as starting to scrub/degrease it. Its crazy how heavy the power steering bracket and alternator bracket are. They're made from chunky cast iron and probably weigh the best part of a kilo each just for the brackets alone. I ordered a naprec power steering bracket and we're looking at making a new lighter alternator one aswell.

The drivers side engine mount was actually loose as well which would have been letting the motor flop around much more than it usually would.

The front half of the loom (engine bay and dash) out its crazy how big it is its around 1.5x the length of the car not including the back section. Will be able to loose a reasonable amount of weight out of this in the rewire.

It really was very time consuming to get it to this point. The dash was rather involved/time consuming to pull out as was the loom from the interior. It does all come out in one piece though its just rather fiddly. Pretty excited in that everything I'm touching on looks pretty easy to improve on in terms of simplicity and weight. I should have it 100% stripped by the end of tomorrow and be able to get stuck into cleaning the whole interior/exterior. I cant wait to look at it and not feel dirty. =)

More soon!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #75
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

I'd put an extra day into stripping the car and got basically everything out of the engine bay and interior bar the essentials to keep it rolling.

boxhead helped me remove the remainder of the sound deadening tar. It was on the sides of the tunnel, under the dash and behind the firewall mat nether of which had ever been out of the car before. While I've owned it anyhow.

We pulled the dash bar out to make access to the tunnel and foot well a bit easier

Tunnel wiped down with solvent after most of the tar being chiseled off.

Massive reinforcement bar behind the rear bar. I'd like to remove for weight saving but still up in the air about it cause the fuel tank sits just behind it.

Fuel tank out!

More random interior shots

James and Matt W helped me finish stripping everything and clean the engine bay.

The engine bay after its first proper degrease and prepsol love session looked so much better the picture doesn't do it justice.

Starting on the chassis weight reduction!

More soon!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #76
Strizi

Strizi is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice Progress
Strizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #77
s13silvia_R
Zilvia Member

s13silvia_R is making a name for him/her selfs13silvia_R is making a name for him/her self
Good build, can't wait to see more update.
s13silvia_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #78
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Tuesday was a mission out to pickup steel. We're planning on making a chassis stand so the car can roll around the garage with no subframes in it for awhile.

Here some pics of what I got upto next anyhow.

Drivers side parcel shelf thingo out.

I didnt stuff it up too badly maybe someone will buy it? lol

The other side is shivering in its welds ready for tomorrows linaging! :P

Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #79
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Got a fair bit done that weekend. I spent about 9-10 hours chipping away at things on Saturday afternoon/evening. I got the other side of the "parcel shelf" out and the seat belt mounting point. Along with the spare tyre bracket in the tyre well. I also cleaned up the passenger side of the tunnel from all the tar and removed 90% of the seam sealer along that join in the floor on that side.

Sunday arvo wheats and nfi came over and helped me sort out all the boxes of crap and they got stuck into the seam sealer from the rear towers down to the rear passengers foot wells on both sides. Damn the air die cutter is loud my neighbors will have no love! Thanks for the help too guys!
Anyhoo some pics!

Looks far tidier in the rear without the side parts in I think. Cars looking very bare now!

The foot well I've cleaned up with solvent/rag/paint scraper needs abit more work.

Surprise shot, say cheese!

Accelerator pedal position shot so front leg of the cage doesn't interfere later.

The wire brush makes fast work of the sealer

Its the last week or two there will be so much room in there to move!

Horde of sheat deemed "unnecessary"

More soon!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #80
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very nice...wanna see that sr22 kit fired up! For saving weight just cut out the whole spare tire hole and weld a sheet of aluminum over ir.
Te37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #81
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te37 View Post
Very nice...wanna see that sr22 kit fired up! For saving weight just cut out the whole spare tire hole and weld a sheet of aluminum over ir.
Thanks man, yeh I cant wait to hear it screaming either! =)

The car will still be street driven. I've had friends who have done this it makes it so much louder in cabin I've decided its not worth cutting it out. Also its a nice little whole to keep my tool bag in... =)

Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #82
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
I just thought you were going all out cause you removed the supports behind the rear suspension towers, you might want to stiffen that part back up. If you put a cage in it then you will be able too.
Te37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #83
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

I'd halted work until this point because the car needed to be weather proof but things have now changed and the cage will all be made under cover. I'd settled on a cage design which were are a few minor points still to be decided on. The cage will come in way over what I budgeted for but the end result should be the best possible design for rigidity while still maintaining my street registration. Which is a limitation but I enjoy my weekend drives too much to give them up.

Some pics =)

Some serious work will be happening here for the cage. One of the most exciting things that I'm looking forward to seeing most is the difference it makes once driving the car in anger

Rear end as it was

These will be going up on the for sale thread

Ugly ugly ugly! No need for this anymore.

Apparently I'm **** at taking out windscreens managed to break it before I'd even gotten the seal out =( Made a rather large mess of everything too.

Now with less ugly (slightly)

Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #84
dreamin240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
dreamin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dreamin240sx
lookin good man
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #85
Q.Smooth127
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Q.Smooth127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yup fuck the haters. They aint payin a penny to the build so their opinions means nothing.
i would suggest that you minues well go and get yourself a z32 tranny and conversion kit and run a z32 tranny so it can handle alot of abuse and not worry ... i mean it can still break but wont break as easily as an SR tranny . Very nice tomei kit. Shit aint cheap at all. That 180sx is getting MAD love haha.
Interested to see what your new turbo setup your gonna run to take advantage of the built bottom end.
P.S: Gunk those tails n get some kouki taillights . If you like em then thats all you, but just a suggestion haha :0
Q.Smooth127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #86
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
why are there so many damn pics in this post. this thread is so damn long, but.... whats happening?

im lost
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #87
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
why are there so many damn pics in this post. this thread is so damn long, but.... whats happening?

im lost
Building a car bud, changed the title for you...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #88
FU12
Zilvia Member

FU12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good to see a build that isn't 25% performance, 75% fitment. Keep it up
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #89
FU12
Zilvia Member

FU12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Double Post
Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #90
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

The car got picked up to get the cage done. Was pretty excited and nevous to see the results and if it'd turn out like I hoped it would. Headed over and checking it out a few times to get progress shots. I was told I should be able to pick it up on/before the next weekend all going well! =D

Its looking very bare now without the windscreen in. I was recommended a glass guy to get my rear quarter windows out without cracking them (very tricky apparently) by a mate. They should have been taken out today so I'll bring them home for safe keeping when I go to checkout the progress.

Some pics.