Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Isn't the RPS Max street clutch stiff as fuck?

Rps makes a damn good flywheel.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #32
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Also I'm getting rid of my hypersingle soon for like $300 if anyone is interested :P
Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Isn't the RPS Max street clutch stiff as fuck?

Rps makes a damn good flywheel.
Yes, overtly! Definitely Stiffer than stock and an EXEDY stage 2, You know you have an upgraded clutch.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
Functiontheory

Trader Rating: (1)
Functiontheory is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i vote for ACT. im running there 6 puck unsprung in my rb25 and its not to stiff. even with a full SS clutch line.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #35
kevs1992
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
kevs1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hey i got a question. i have a sr20det stock boost. which clutch should i get for and is the best one for daily drivin?? im jus keepin it stock boost for drifting thats it. any reply would be helpful. i was thinkin bout the exedy stage 1 clutch..
kevs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #36
z32boy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
z32boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best clutch I ever had............Centerforce dual friction
z32boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #37
Jonathan Rivera
Leaky Injector

Jonathan Rivera is an unknown quantity at this point
tomie arms or cusco
Jonathan Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #38
jeremiah88

jeremiah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a red top sr20det being built I need to figure out a good clutch for the build. 1000cc injectors,dw300 fuel pump, e85 ,gt2871r it should be around 450rwhp
jeremiah88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #39
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm running an ACT in my SRT-4. First their street disk, then their 6 puck. Very good clutch.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #40
Feast Japan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Feast Japan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Ive only run Nismo super coppermix single and ORC carbon single. Both are good options if you have budget. If not you should just get a cheap Spec 1 clutch.
Feast Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 AM   #41
mhubeny180sx
BANNED

mhubeny180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feast Japan View Post
Ive only run Nismo super coppermix single and ORC carbon single. Both are good options if you have budget. If not you should just get a cheap Spec 1 clutch.

nismo super copper is an excellent choice, you will notice this is very popular in the cars of many professional drivers in japan.
mhubeny180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #42
thegr8one013
Zilvia Junkie

thegr8one013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exedy stage 2 clutch

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...t-sr20det.html

You won't regret it. Pressure plate has a good clamping force and the disc is a ceramic type clutch so it won't eat away ur flywheel like metallic type clutch disc (act)
thegr8one013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #43
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8one013 View Post
Exedy stage 2 clutch

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...t-sr20det.html

You won't regret it. Pressure plate has a good clamping force and the disc is a ceramic type clutch so it won't eat away ur flywheel like metallic type clutch disc (act)
I'd stay away from puck clutches unless he really needs it, have a track car or fully realize what he's getting into. The only reason I have a 6 puck is because the street disk couldn't handle the slicks at the track. The puck clutch can be used on the street, yes, as I do so. But calling it streetable is using the term very loosely. It has reduced my daily driving enjoyment quite a bit, especially in traffic.

Something to be aware of.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #44
thegr8one013
Zilvia Junkie

HavING an unsprung clutch is what makes it a pain to daily. This clutch disc is sprung so it's a smoother engagement.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #45
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
HavING an unsprung clutch is what makes it a pain to daily. This clutch disc is sprung so it's a smoother engagement.
I went from a street disk to a 6 puck, both sprung. This is where my experience and feedback comes from. OP can take from it what he wants, but if he has just bolt-ons and moderate power, I'd go with a street disk.

I wouldn't even try a solid hub in a street car.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #46
thegr8one013
Zilvia Junkie

I have had full street, 3 puck, 6 puck and a twin disc.
If you have a car with moderate power with bolt on a street disc won't last long if it's designed for stock power. Now let's say you get a full face that's designed for more power. It's a good chance that the clutch won't last as long under abuse due to it being not able to dissipate heat like a puck clutch.

With the puck clutch it's designed for abuse and can handle more heat but has many different options like an usprung act which is not very forgiving on your drive train.

The exedy stage 2 kit is still a soft material that can disipate heat very well along with it being sprung that won't abuse your transmission. My exedy stage 2 lasted me 3 years driving to college in traffic Monday to Friday and under a lot of abuse on the weekends.

A clutch choice is very important because not many people want to do it a 2nd time.

But it does come to preference too. I can tell u the exedy stage 2 is a great clutch and not as aggressive for a daily person
Old 12-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #47
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I have had full street, 3 puck, 6 puck and a twin disc.
If you have a car with moderate power with bolt on a street disc won't last long if it's designed for stock power. Now let's say you get a full face that's designed for more power. It's a good chance that the clutch won't last as long under abuse due to it being not able to dissipate heat like a puck clutch.

With the puck clutch it's designed for abuse and can handle more heat but has many different options like an usprung act which is not very forgiving on your drive train.

The exedy stage 2 kit is still a soft material that can disipate heat very well along with it being sprung that won't abuse your transmission. My exedy stage 2 lasted me 3 years driving to college in traffic Monday to Friday and under a lot of abuse on the weekends.

A clutch choice is very important because not many people want to do it a 2nd time.

But it does come to preference too. I can tell u the exedy stage 2 is a great clutch and not as aggressive for a daily person
OP would have to give us more info too.

What kind of difference did you see between the 3 puck and 6 puck?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #48
thegr8one013
Zilvia Junkie

Before I say anything I just want to say my results are invalid because the 3 puck was a sprung ceramic style and the 6 puck was unsprung metallic style.

The 6 puck definitely just engaged right away which was great for launching and shifting when I would drag race but downshifting was a bit annoying if u didn't Rev match because the tires would chirp (tires trying to go the low speed of the engine)

The 3 puck was great for a daily and weekend race. Much softer engagement.

One thing I didn't like about the 6 puck was that since it was metallic it really ate up my flywheel so I had no choice but to get it resurfaced. The 3 puck was more forgiving on my flywheel and I was able to just slap another disc in
Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #49
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Before I say anything I just want to say my results are invalid because the 3 puck was a sprung ceramic style and the 6 puck was unsprung metallic style.

The 6 puck definitely just engaged right away which was great for launching and shifting when I would drag race but downshifting was a bit annoying if u didn't Rev match because the tires would chirp (tires trying to go the low speed of the engine)

The 3 puck was great for a daily and weekend race. Much softer engagement.

One thing I didn't like about the 6 puck was that since it was metallic it really ate up my flywheel so I had no choice but to get it resurfaced. The 3 puck was more forgiving on my flywheel and I was able to just slap another disc in
Interesting. I'm running the ACT flywheel with mine (had to with the SRT) and so far in the years I had it, it hasn't eaten itself. I did get it resurfaced a couple of times due to glazing though.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #50
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Ogura (ORC) was the most awesome clutch I ever owned on an sr20det.

Besides that, the spec stage-1 or similar plain-jane full face disc is ideal for daily drivers with stock engines.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #51
jeremiah88

jeremiah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was thinking about spec 3+. I don't think a stage 1 is going to hold 450whp
jeremiah88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #52
Trinidrift3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Trinidrift3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i daily drove Exedy stage 2 with fidanza flywheel for 4 years. worked great. was making 350whp and maybe 280 torque on it with no issues. now i daily a clutchmasters fx400 6 puck. i like it. been 6 months and no issues either. slight chatter when hot on pulling off. be quick with pulling off and its nothing to worry about. it is stiffer than the exedy put it is ok in traffic

Last edited by Trinidrift3; 12-07-2015 at 05:16 PM..
Trinidrift3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #53
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't like my spec clutch. Groaned a lot when engaging.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #54
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
candyred_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd just post in here. Looking for a new clutch for my Sr22vet. It's a street car that hits up the drag strip as much as possible. Power is going to be 600-650whp 500-550tq. Killed a few act 6 puck at 600whp 500tq so I need to Change it up but would like some input. Thanks guys
candyred_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #55
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
^twin disk is minimum. Id go for a triple. Pick any good brand and you should be good. Exedy, OS, etc
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #56
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
You DO NOT want an Un-Sprung or a Twin Plate (unless your have a racecar, not just something you claim to be a racecar)... you do want a strong, Sprung type, Single Plate!!

Maybe you do want a Twin Plate Unsprung, that way your left calf muscle will match your right forearm...
lol ironically I got my hatch with a stage 3 6 puck unsprung spec clutch with a lightweight flywheel. Even worse that my 240 is my first car and first manual car. Long story short is you learn real quick. I daily my car and its not that its a heavy clutch its just how top grabby it is. That and I get the worst noise around 3k on decl.

My driveway is filled with tire marks from breaking traction from letting off to early and not reving sky high to get it rolling. If you stall the car will jerk forward a good 5 feet.

Last owner was an idot with his ka-t setup, fixed everything up and car runs perfect. Will probably be going whitebunny in the next couple months.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:51 AM   #57
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If I ever needed to hold more than 380rwhp on an sr20det, I wouldn't be using an sr20det, and I wouldnt be using a manual transmission either. I keep the manual for economy- economy you get from the sr20det. I wouldn't use a 5 or 6 speed on a V8 because it would be making 500-700bhp and I don't want buy an $800 clutch every 45k miles, Ill buy one $800 torque converter and use it for 15 years. Auto isn't an option for me on the sr20det because of the drop in economy- the same economy I would get with an automatic 700bhp V8!

All that aside I have had the opportunity to drive at least twenty different kinds of sr20 clutches. As I said the Ogura was my favorite- it was easy to drive like any other "stage 1" (I use the term loosely) clutch, even though it was aggressive enough for 450~rwhp, perhaps even 500. (I know they are not rated hp, I was making 400rwhp at the time and using this only as a reference). What I really loved the most about it was that it rattled like a twin plate. Say hello to a never ending stream of comments, everybody trying to figure out whats wrong with your engine. "It spun a bearing. Want to race?"
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #58
ktireman

ktireman is an unknown quantity at this point
Any one used the FX stage 4 clutch on the sr? Just wondering about the performance or if any issues occurred...thanks.
ktireman is offline   Reply With Quote