Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #3481
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Sounds like you need a GTX2863R
Old 09-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #3482
xilovelsdx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
xilovelsdx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xilovelsdx
Blah I need an upgrade. Jealousy.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #3483
Johannes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Johannes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Hey guys! I've been looking through this thread from time to time and thought I should post my setup..

320whp/330tq with messed up internal wastegate.

@ 5.5k it would see 18-19psi and it would start to lower around 6k and see about 15psi and would start lowering even more going to redline.

Mods;
Isis RS3871 (Similar to 2871r so pardon me if I shouldn't be posting in this thread) (Internal WG), Megan Racing Mani
With a crappy mbc
Tomei Poncams
Deatschwerks 740cc
Z33 Coilpacks
Fuel Pump Relay
R.S. Enthalpy

I'm now running stock mani with external wastegate setup (38mm)
Feels a lot better now and quicker.

Dyno graph;

Video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwKtvvzb8w
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #3484
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Mesarina is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
went to te dyno today..

sr20det
bc (264)stage II cams
18psi
740cc
z32 maf
apexi power fc

the map is made by me, I need to make it richier from 2700rpms to 5000rpms, althrough the dyno wideband wasn't reading correctly... (reading leaner)
Mesarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #3485
240ss
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesarina View Post
went to te dyno today..

sr20det
bc (264)stage II cams
18psi
740cc
z32 maf
apexi power fc

the map is made by me, I need to make it richier from 2700rpms to 5000rpms, althrough the dyno wideband wasn't reading correctly... (reading leaner)
looks pretty good man. I have the same set up as you except i have the non-maf pfc. Similar power numbers too.

Having been plagued with boost control problems, I'm now about a weekend away from dropping this bad boy back in, new and improved!

240ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #3486
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
went to te dyno today..

sr20det
bc (264)stage II cams
18psi
740cc
z32 maf
apexi power fc

If you want a real opinion, I can give you one later, but ill will say this. Your peek power numbers are on point, but...

Sent from my Highly Tune Galaxy S3.4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #3487
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
if the dyno wideband was reading leaner and it shows 11:1 on the high rpm, you can go way leaner, there's a lot of power to be unlocked in your program.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #3488
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Mesarina is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240ss View Post
looks pretty good man. I have the same set up as you except i have the non-maf pfc. Similar power numbers too.

Having been plagued with boost control problems, I'm now about a weekend away from dropping this bad boy back in, new and improved!

Nice! I need an external wastegate asap..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
If you want a real opinion, I can give you one later, but ill will say this. Your peek power numbers are on point, but...

Sent from my Highly Tune Galaxy S3.4!!!
but???? small area under the curve? laggy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga View Post
if the dyno wideband was reading leaner and it shows 11:1 on the high rpm, you can go way leaner, there's a lot of power to be unlocked in your program.
I will try this, I have about 9-10 timing on the lower cells (17-20) on the pfc about 18psi, if I put more timing, I get knock readings of 60 or higher, isn't that too low timing?
Mesarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #3489
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
went to te dyno today..

sr20det
bc (264)stage II cams
18psi
740cc
z32 maf
apexi power fc

Peak HP number looks good even if its a little rich but the torque number seems low.
You also need to rev it out longer.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #3490
aga
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I will try this, I have about 9-10 timing on the lower cells (17-20) on the pfc about 18psi, if I put more timing, I get knock readings of 60 or higher, isn't that too low timing?
adding more fuel won't solve knocking from ignition... keep your AFR on the high boost areas at around 1:11.5 to be safe, and the ignition you will run depends on what fuel you are gonna use. 9-10 sounds reasonable, i have tuned cars with even less on high boost, like 4-5

if you wanna run higher ignition and be knock free, maybe its time to look into water-meth injection.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #3491
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Just let me know when, shoot me a PM and we can help ya out It'll look just like the one 240ss posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Peak HP number looks good even if its a little rich but the torque number seems low.
You also need to rev it out longer.
I agree spinning to 8000 shouldn't be an issue but his peak power is aleady falling off...I'd solve that first as a 2871r should be peaked/hold to redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
Hey guys! I've been looking through this thread from time to time and thought I should post my setup..
That's one of the better running ISIS setups out there. nice.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #3492
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

With that said, I'll be swapping in S4's into my car soon to see the difference. After many years I'm gonna give them a try to see.
Hey Codyace, just seeing if there was any update on where you are with this?
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #3493
Ka-t in progress
Leaky Injector

Ka-t in progress is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm running s4's on my set up. Running 740cc injectors,apexi .8mm headgasket,intake mani,and a precision 5128 .64 ar. Same as a 2871. Set up runs smooth with an enthalpy tune,almost forgot to add that to the list. I know it pulls pretty hard in the higher Rpm's on 17lbs. Cannot say for sure where I have full spool at. Right now it is very laggy,but I am blaming that on my mbc. I should have my car back from the shop in a week or to so I'll be sure to chime in after I tune thru the internal gate,external is the way to go. Will be looking into that soon codyace!
Ka-t in progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #3494
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
this.

i just switched from a DBB S15 T28 to a 2871R. the s15 turbo was quicker getting in to boost, but dear jeebus the 2871 has gobs more top end.
And this applies to the 28RS too...the 28RS undoubtedly responds quicker than the 2871r and GTX turbos, I've been in cars with both, built setups with both, and really think for a hot 325ish whp setup,. the 28RS is still the ticket. However anything above that, I love the 2871r for the 6500RPM+ gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Hey Codyace, just seeing if there was any update on where you are with this?
I touched the engine with the cams in them this weekend, but we got too caught up in craft beer to take them out. For spring for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka-t in progress View Post
Right now it is very laggy,but I am blaming that on my mbc. I should have my car back from the shop in a week or to so I'll be sure to chime in after I tune thru the internal gate,external is the way to go. Will be looking into that soon codyace!
the mbc and internal gate can certainly be a lead issue for the lack of response for sure, but is your timing set correctly?

And let me know when you want the manifold sorted

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 12-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #3495
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
more and more people with less than 400whp below 20 psi. Full spool above 15 psi around 4k. Just like mine. I am going t3 next year. I know now I will never get 400 whp on pump gas with this turbo. I am selling mine. Fuck this gt2871r

Last edited by zurud; 12-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: a
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #3496
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

So run more than 20psi if you want around 400hp
Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #3497
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
And this applies to the 28RS too...the 28RS undoubtedly responds quicker than the 2871r and GTX turbos, I've been in cars with both, built setups with both, and really think for a hot 325ish whp setup,. the 28RS is still the ticket. However anything above that, I love the 2871r for the 6500RPM+ gains.
What about the GTX2860R?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #3498
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
What about the GTX2860R?
If you're not taking advantage of the higher boost, it's not worthwhile (to me). If you're gonna sling 25 psi and be ok with 350psi, cool..if not...go with the tried and true disco potato.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #3499
Theyoung1.

Theyoung1. is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally finished reading this intire thread and had to join zilvia...

My set up is similar to codyace...

vct s14 sr20det
87mm 9.1 comp pistons
stock exhaust mani
gtx2867,t25+ t31 .63ar turbine housing moded with tial mvs external gate
nissmo 740cc, aeromotive A750, aeromotive fpr
JWT S4's 5 angle valve job and a polish no porting

hoping my high port intake and vct will make up for the torque loss on the higher dur. of the s4s but make some awesome numbers up top..

im building the car for road course racing/super mean street machine

codyace had a chance to try out them s4's yet?
Theyoung1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #3500
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
1. Get your in-car wideband to read 11.4:1 and the dyno's wideband to read 11.8:1
2. Make sure you are using 93 octane and have 9:1 compression or less
3. Use 7-8* of ignition timing through 3000-5000rpm, and slowly add 1* per 1000 rpm so you end up around 10* at 7000rpm etc...

4. You can add a global +2* Across the board on the dyno to see how much extra torque you get back. If you gain only a tiny bit (you will always gain something) then go back down. But if you gain like 20+ then keep it and consider adding another 1-2*.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 01-28-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #3501
aga
Zilvia Junkie

the power fc and all the ecu's knock reading IS reliable. however, its up to the tuner to "feel" how much knock is acceptable. i was in a seminar by AEM, and the tech was tuning a t51 supra we had. this supra was tuned to 20 deg advance at 1 bar with the previous ecu. the tech started retarding the ignition, until the car was running 6 degrees. the owner , who was a tuner himself says to him what are you doing man? -but the car is knocking, the ecu says so. so they put both a phormula knock monitor and also det cans (headphones) and he says keep turning up the timing. does it knock? no. finally they got back to 20 degrees, and the car gained 150hp.
on the phormula , the guys that were using it say up to 50% is acceptable. i dont know. i wanna retune my own car with an external knock monitor cause i think the FC is overreacting. i was hitting insane knocks at 1 bar (125-150) and since i tuned it , i have max 25-35, but the car is really sluggish compared to before. i'm thinking of going water-meth to get back my missing timing...
Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #3502
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurud View Post
more and more people with less than 400whp below 20 psi. Full spool above 15 psi around 4k. Just like mine. I am going t3 next year. I know now I will never get 400 whp on pump gas with this turbo. I am selling mine. Fuck this gt2871r
Yes, bigger turbos, that's the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyoung1. View Post
im building the car for road course racing/super mean street machine

codyace had a chance to try out them s4's yet?
Come spring time I will

Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #3503
Theyoung1.

Come spring time I will [/QUOTE]

I'll have mine running in the next few weeks I'll post my numbers when I get on the dyno. Enthalpy will be tuning.

If you had to put it into numbers what do you believed you gained with the extrude hone?

I also have some questions about your ignition system as 400+ for spitfire coils seem a bit much... I'm a noob so still learning... Are you running more powerful coils with individual igniters and firing them with the stock igniter or how does that work.. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #3504
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyoung1. View Post
Come spring time I will
I'll have mine running in the next few weeks I'll post my numbers when I get on the dyno. Enthalpy will be tuning.

If you had to put it into numbers what do you believed you gained with the extrude hone?

I also have some questions about your ignition system as 400+ for spitfire coils seem a bit much... I'm a noob so still learning...[/QUOTE]

You bringing the car down here to Tampa?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #3505
Theyoung1.

That is the plan in the future but with my schedule I'm extremely busy at the moment.. I've emailed back-and-forth with Martin a few times good help and excited to have the build going!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #3506
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Which exhaust gasket are you guys using? The OEM 7-Layer Nissan one? or the Mr Gasket copper one?

Which one is higher quality, more durable?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #3507
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Which exhaust gasket are you guys using? The OEM 7-Layer Nissan one? or the Mr Gasket copper one?

Which one is higher quality, more durable?
I have the stock 7 layer one and have removed the exhaust manifold twice and each time it reseals with out a exhaust leak.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #3508
sil14zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
sil14zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
exwg on stock mani now for about a month and i couldn't be more pleased
19psi all the way to redline. i highly recommend it.
anyone running e85 with the 2871r?
sil14zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #3509
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sil14zenki View Post
exwg on stock mani now for about a month and i couldn't be more pleased
19psi all the way to redline. i highly recommend it.
anyone running e85 with the 2871r?
I run ethanol full time. From t28, to my gt2871r now. I love the corn
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #3510
sil14zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
sil14zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
they just opened a station 2 miles from my house so i have been really considering it. i already have a 340 pump. thinking of some id1000s and obviously tune. how much psi are you running? i know there are alot of positive things from running e85-more timing, more boost, better temps etc. just wondering if its really worth it with this turbo.
sil14zenki is offline   Reply With Quote