Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
spartan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
spartan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Interesting Engine Swap

Hello ladies and gentlemen of Zilvia,
I have had my SR20DET Redtop S14 Kouki for about 9 months now and have been contimplating a motor swap that has not been done before to my knowledge.
There are so many swaps that have been done on the S chassis it's hard to get outside the box. Which is exactly why i want to proceed with this.
My idea was orginally a Honda AP1 S2000 F20C1 Engine. All around great engine, but i was going thru some old Super Street magazines and found it was done with great success in a S13 drift car. Didn't turn me off but I still want to be original. So the F22C AP2 engine hasn't been done before and that's still a great RWD engine with a better transmission then the AP1 plus it hasn't been done before.
The 04/05 NON-FBW F22C is plan B
Plan A is a couple hundred CC's bigger so to speak.
Going thru some old Honda Tuning magazines someone successfully swapped a K24 into a S2000 chassis using an adapter plate custom made to match the S2K transmission.
That is what I want in my S14, A K24 mated with a AP2 transmission.
Id acquire a K24A1 from a CRV because it is best K24 for the money.
I actually have one in my Honda and absolutly love the motor and it's potential.
By now you may be thinking you are gonna need to get custom manifolds made for exhaust and intake.
I wont, God willing.
I will be turboing the K24 and probably just have a exhaust made custom. For intake side I will utilize the AFI intake manifold which points down and just from speculation should not have any clearance issues.
Also at my recent visit to Rockstar Garage of Onatrio Ca, the S2k master along with his brother, a S-Chassis master gave me very useful tips and information. The K24 RWD combo keeps blowing the engine, something is just not right about it. The brother suspects the oil pan, it's made for front wheel drive cars so the oil pan is the wrong way and will starve the motor of oil.
So custom Baffling would be a good idea.
Also custom motor mounts will be a difficult and require some R&D because the motor would need to be placed correctly and balanced perfectly.
Cant really think of anything else that would be a major issue at this point.
Hopefully I can get some sponsorships and more help from Rockstar Garage to further my odd build.
If you have any helpful information or comments please let me know!
Thanks for reading.
spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
terrible idea, way to expensive for the power it will make.

should definitely consider choosing a different engine.

With that being said, Good luck, and take tons of pictures if you decide to go through with it.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
So you want to put in an NA torque-less HONDA engine to replace an SR20DET?!?! Being different is one thing but this is fucking blasphemy. For as much money you'd spend to do this swap, you might as well go RB26 or maybe even RB30.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
spartan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
So you want to put in an NA torque-less HONDA engine to replace an SR20DET?!?! Being different is one thing but this is fucking blasphemy. For as much money you'd spend to do this swap, you might as well go RB26 or maybe even RB30.
Torque-less? K24A1 comes in a CR-V and produces its max torque at 2200rpm and CRV is close to twice the weight of the S14 and pushes that just fine. On top of that the engine will be boosted plenty of power will come of that without worry.
Being different is all automotive community has to progress.
RB's have been done before and parts are expensive and hard to find. Not only that but the RB26 is very expensive. where as i can pick up a K24 build the head and block for about $1500.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
spartan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post
terrible idea, way to expensive for the power it will make.

should definitely consider choosing a different engine.

With that being said, Good luck, and take tons of pictures if you decide to go through with it.
It will make plenty of power.
I have a plan A and a Plan B
Thanks for the luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i have been doing the honda crap for over 13 years and i can tell you now it is just not worth what you will have in the end. I would not do the swap.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
spartan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
i have been doing the honda crap for over 13 years and i can tell you now it is just not worth what you will have in the end. I would not do the swap.
Well that goes without saying, not worth the money? Well yea of course not. You'll never see what you put into a car. Im not gonna say money is not a issue but little by little I can get this done.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
I understand the intention for originality, but I wouldn't go with that engine. If you're not too worried about a budget, maybe something like a TB48DE, a 4.8L I6 from the Nissan Patrol. That is a popular motor to ridiculously boost in places like UAE, but good luck getting one into the US.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
spartan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
I understand the intention for originality, but I wouldn't go with that engine. If you're not too worried about a budget, maybe something like a TB48DE, a 4.8L I6 from the Nissan Patrol. That is a popular motor to ridiculously boost in places like UAE, but good luck getting one into the US.
SMH that is exaclty what i dont want. K24 has so much support for it i will not have any trouble tracking down aftermarket or replacment parts.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Detky

Trader Rating: (0)
Detky is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've secretly always wanted to to do a k24 swap. Honda motors have amazing tuning options (only way they can make power) and I've seen stock block k24 turbo push 500whp (at the front wheels). We all waste our money on our cars why not do something awesome and unique. More power to you op.

P.S. PLEASE keep this thread updated
Detky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
spartan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detky View Post
I've secretly always wanted to to do a k24 swap. Honda motors have amazing tuning options (only way they can make power) and I've seen stock block k24 turbo push 500whp (at the front wheels). We all waste our money on our cars why not do something awesome and unique. More power to you op.

P.S. PLEASE keep this thread updated
awesome comment!
Thanks for the support.
So far this project is just a post I dont have money to throw around right now. Hopefully taxes are good to me and i can at least buy a k24 to build.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
What exactly did u make this thread for? U want suggestions but u refuse to hear what everyone tells u. You are asking for guidence on an engine swap that no one's done (apperantly that's your main concern), guess what? U wont get it, why? Cuz no one's done it, duhh... You are basically on your own when it comes to a swap like this.
The only comment u have actually agreed with is the guy that supported your idea, seems to me that u came in here looking more for hope, support and people to cheer u up and convince u that it is possible. U wont get much of that in here.
If u have to wait for ur income to come in to get this thing started, then just stop thinking about it, sorry to sound like a dick but im being honest and i know a lot of people will agree with me. Just take that money and put it in the bank which im asumming is low on funds.
Other than that, i really hope u know how to weld good, you got electrical skills, have space and lots of tools, and have a lot of spare time. Its just a swap, pretty straight forward as long as it fits and have what i mentioned.
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
spartan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
What exactly did u make this thread for? U want suggestions but u refuse to hear what everyone tells u. You are asking for guidence on an engine swap that no one's done (apperantly that's your main concern), guess what? U wont get it, why? Cuz no one's done it, duhh... You are basically on your own when it comes to a swap like this.
The only comment u have actually agreed with is the guy that supported your idea, seems to me that u came in here looking more for hope, support and people to cheer u up and convince u that it is possible. U wont get much of that in here.
If u have to wait for ur income to come in to get this thing started, then just stop thinking about it, sorry to sound like a dick but im being honest and i know a lot of people will agree with me. Just take that money and put it in the bank which im asumming is low on funds.
Other than that, i really hope u know how to weld good, you got electrical skills, have space and lots of tools, and have a lot of spare time. Its just a swap, pretty straight forward as long as it fits and have what i mentioned.
Lol what "everyone" is telling me?
4 people have advised against it haha. The guidence im looking for are things that might be over looked in a swap (like with any swap) that i have not stated in op.
Also i made this thread not only for little things that supporters can tip me on but also progress. It's not a concern its an idea i dont need people telling me why not to do it because no matter what you think or say it can be done, I'm just hoping i can be the one to pull it off.
Small steps is only ways i can do this not because im low on funds which is what you want to assume because im sure you know people that can just throw thousands of dollars at a build at any given time but because everything needs to be planned out perfectly. Building the motor is a start and least amount of risk incase i scarp the build.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Detky

Detky is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be concerned with the engine communicating with your dash. Like check engine light, speedo, tach water temp, probably do a bunch of aftermarket gauges. Welding mounts and stuff isn't rocket science but wiring it up could present difficulties

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Detky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
spartan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detky View Post
I would be concerned with the engine communicating with your dash. Like check engine light, speedo, tach water temp, probably do a bunch of aftermarket gauges. Welding mounts and stuff isn't rocket science but wiring it up could present difficulties
Yeah most likely ill invest in a digital dash other then that maybe S2k dash would be fine.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #16
Heabs_s13

Heabs_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you made any progress on this swap? I'm looking at doing it myself.
Heabs_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #17
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Drifting Kalamari is an unknown quantity at this point
Seems pricey, but would be a clean, reliable and powerful NA! Let us know if you went further on this endeavor!
Drifting Kalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #18
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
An xmas necro!

PS the chances he actually did this are none to none.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
s14SRguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
s14SRguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
2j or LSX that shit. Please do not throw a dumpy honda motor into an s14. Especially if its a real kouki. Just sell that car to me, if its clean ill buy it and save it. My SR20DET dumps on S2K's alllll dayyyyy longgggggg, why you would want to ruin a kouki with that motor is a mystery to me.. Its a waste of time and money...unless like you enjoy wasting time and money, but in that case...you can't fix stupid.

Yeah, I'm hatin n shit, either get mad or get inspired and prove me wrong.

when its done hit me up so i can dip on your hard work by a few cars
s14SRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #20
spartan
Leaky Injector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpmc7Hkvn0U
Old 03-09-2018, 12:07 AM   #21
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Lmao yes! Ultimate redemption!
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #22
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Took me 4 months to swap in an LS using off the shelf, used parts, and junkyard stuff.
Engine fit like a glove and nearly free. I even got a spare free.

Now I can haz 500whp in my reliable daily driver?

What you gonna do with 2.XL these days.... nothin' ! Not that anyways. K2X belongs in a 2300lb shit box. Not a 2800lb shitbox.

The 240 can handle just fine with the sr20- so thats no excuse!

Sorry for all the "anti" talk, its just crazy to me, to try and fit an engine around the same size as what already fits with no work at all. Like, were going to FORCE the engine into the car, just because we can. Well you could do the same thing with a geo metro engine or a wankel too I guess. From a performance and KISS standpoint it goes against almost every rule for daily driver sports cars.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 03-09-2018 at 11:22 PM..
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote