Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #1
sliknik

Trader Rating: (0)
sliknik is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 97-98 240SX LED low beam bulbs

Hi all. Tried searching but couldn't really find anything useful.

I'm thinking of buying one of those LED (not HID) conversion kits for the factory low beam projectors (1997 or 1998 cars). I was wondering if anyone has done it. Anything you can mention or suggest about installing them, how well they fit, do they require any modifications or not, and how good they actually work on ours cars, that would be great. Thanks.

something like this (not this specific kit):
https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Con.../dp/B01FI1DOMG
sliknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
no. just no.

too many reasons to list
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
sliknik

dude a simple no isn't going to cut it. state your reasons or don't waste my time.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
I'll help out, just a little. Just adding brighter bulbs does NOT make for better lighting. That's really all there is to it.

To see how to properly improve lighting, check out places like ClearCorners.com that specialize in proven methods of improving light output. Taking 1990's headlights and adding brighter bulbs gives you brighter 1990's lighting and nothing else.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #5
sliknik

thanks ThatGuy. I mainly want to have a white light so if it's not as good as halogen bulbs it's not really an issue for me.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
It's not a matter of "not as good" as much as it becomes a matter of scattered useless light because the stock projector isn't designed for it. Also, those "retrofit" kits are pretty crap.

There are quite a few threads on here that discuss lighting, options, and negative effects of using crap parts. Have a look around before making your decision.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
sliknik

thanks ThatGuy. I searched but didn't find anyone discussing this. if you can give me a link where people are discussing this, that would be great!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #8
djdryon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
djdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to djdryon Send a message via AIM to djdryon Send a message via MSN to djdryon Send a message via Yahoo to djdryon
I'm running 4500k bixenon H4R bulbs in euro hella housings on my 92 with popups. No scattered light, great focusing, and never get flashed or pulled over. The most important thing is to make sure you have the right housings, and that your bulbs will line up properly, otherwise you're not going to see any better, and you'll be like one of those assclowns that blinds everyone else on the road and likely gets ticketed. I know that there are a few good LED kits out there from reputable companies like Sylvania, but you want to make sure that you have the right housings if you're going that route, and PLEASE, for the love of God, make sure your headlights are aimed properly.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliknik View Post
dude a simple no isn't going to cut it. state your reasons or don't waste my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I'll help out, just a little. Just adding brighter bulbs does NOT make for better lighting. That's really all there is to it.

To see how to properly improve lighting, check out places like ClearCorners.com that specialize in proven methods of improving light output. Taking 1990's headlights and adding brighter bulbs gives you brighter 1990's lighting and nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliknik View Post
thanks ThatGuy. I mainly want to have a white light so if it's not as good as halogen bulbs it's not really an issue for me.

please dont send this guy over to me. he doesnt want to "waste his time" to research something as simple as why you cant retrofit an H4 bulb into an H1 housing, then he is out of luck. Thats like asking how to fit a 2JZ crank into an SR block, its not going to fucking happen. I am not going to help him out.

there are so many individuals/shops that specialize in better lighting, contact one of them and pay to have your lights upgraded.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
sliknik

Don't worry, I'm not spending $1,200 on a new pair of headlights. I tried searching the forum regarding HID and LED headlights and looked through the results and couldn't find the exact info I am looking for, so I made this thread. I was pretty clear in my first message. Like I said before, if you have nothing useful to say just don't say anything. Simple as that.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Mintyboy
Leaky Injector

Mintyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=462293

Check out that thread. Hopefully that helps!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I've got HIDs in my kouki projectors. They are 4000k and crystal white and are bright and good. The LED bulbs are really tricky to get good light output, if you are going to retrofit. I experimented with cheap ones from ebay, but for the price of quality LED bulbs you can get HIDs from ddm for your fogs and headlamps. I didnt/wouldnt go that route. Good luck

Sent from mTalk
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
sliknik

thanks all.

I've seen youtube videos where people put LED low beams in their cars with projector lights that use halogen bulbs and have no problems with those.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

I just don't think they're going to give out enough light output. The led is a very directional light output, look up about how an led emits light. that's why they have leds on each side of those bulbs. If they're not 360 they're not lighting up every direction. The ones I got were 4 sided with 4 leds on each side, and were not bright enough at night to see 20 feet in front of my car. The hids and halogen lights carry out 50-60 feet all day.

Sent from mTalk
Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
sliknik

that's one of the things I was thinking about. thanks Enn.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #16
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Do it.

Buy it.

Get it.

You know you want to.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #17
jookybanana
Zilvia Junkie

jookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfectionjookybanana is close to perfection
have you checked philips, or IPF
they make some nice LED replacment OE bulbs
i am not sure what size bulbs S14 uses, but i am running the IPF H4 LED for headlights, and the cutoff is way better than HID, and easy to install, no mess of relay wires like HID's
its pretty much like installing a halogen bulb

http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/78719...d-fog-led-lamp

http://www.ipf-light.com/catalog/catalogLedlamp.php
jookybanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #18
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get them. They will be awesome!!!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Non-OEM leds will appear brighter, but will significantly lose distance.

Spend $300 on a morimoto mini h1 retrofit kit, you won't regret it.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #20
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

I didn't see h1 anywhere, I wonder if there's a reason for that. those also have "ballast-like" pieces of the wiring harness which are not tiny.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Get them. They will be awesome!!!
haha

2017 and people still dont understand why you shouldnt use rebased kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnEssEnnKAT View Post
I didn't see h1 anywhere, I wonder if there's a reason for that.
nah, just buy the h4 kit and then modify it to fit an h1 housing. a dremel will fix all that. :-)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #22
Mezcala

Mezcala is an unknown quantity at this point
HID is definitely the way to go. Put this kit in my 97 and it looks great perfect clear white and doesn't look cheap or have glare. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...s-stage-3.html
Mezcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
EarlsWorld

EarlsWorld is on the path to ruinEarlsWorld is on the path to ruinEarlsWorld is on the path to ruin
if you want a brighter and whiter light, i would for sure go with an HID kit.